New Prowler, 1st service- recall, roof issue

WalkTheLine

Hi everyone,

I brought my Prowler back in August. No major issues just the LPheater not working. I was going to deal wit that later but got a recall notice in the mail from Heartland about some wiring issue with the trailer brakes so decided to get both addressed. Just before going, I noticed there was bubbling of the material covering the roof. This bubbling is about maybe shoebox in area and there are 3 areas- two on end cap area and one front center. I told the dealer’s service department about it and they were sort of dismissive but I said I wanted it addressed. That was last week and no word from the dealer even though they promised to call me in 3 days. I tried calling them today but had to leave a message it’s the service department for a call back.

I realize this is a dealer issue but I’m afraid there’s a serious problem with the roof based on what I’ve read on this forum and others and they’re blowing me off. Any thoughts on this?

thanks!

C2B477FA-6B9F-4BFF-9FCE-ABB942175903.jpgC2B477FA-6B9F-4BFF-9FCE-ABB942175903.jpg

'Lil Guy'

Call HL direct and explain your issues with dealer. Have your VIN # at hand when you talk to them. Some of these dealers really get on my nerves. Ready for a new sell but really drag on repairs or issues. Good luck in your endeavor and keep us posted. They'll probably ask for your photos to me emailed to them. Again, good luck.

WalkTheLine

Call HL direct and explain your issues with dealer. Have your VIN # at hand when you talk to them. Some of these dealers really get on my nerves. Ready for a new sell but really drag on repairs or issues. Good luck in your endeavor and keep us posted. They'll probably ask for your photos to me emailed to them. Again, good luck.

Thanks! I called Heartland and ended up leaving a message for a call back. I guess I will see what they say. I was able to reach someone at the dealership today and they pretty much say "they're looking at it" but not sure yet what the diagnosis is yet.

WalkTheLine

I called Heartland yesterday and had to leave a message. They didn't return my call so I called again today, was on hold for 10 min then had to leave another message....

WalkTheLine

I called Heartland again this morning and was able to reach someone who was very nice and wanted to help. I emailed him the pictures and he said he would try to reach out to Dixieland and see what needs to be done. Hopefully it will all work out!

WalkTheLine

Does anyone know why it takes 2-3 weeks to get parts? The dealer says it takes that long to order replacement parts. I find that hard to believe especially since I can order a part for my truck and have it at my house the next day. Anyone else have this issue?

avvidclif

Simple, they use JIT (just in time) inventory control. No parts are kept in stock, they are scheduled to arrive when needed. To get a spare part it has to be ordered from the mfg and is scheduled for delivery at a later date after the part is built.

danemayer

Does anyone know why it takes 2-3 weeks to get parts? The dealer says it takes that long to order replacement parts. I find that hard to believe especially since I can order a part for my truck and have it at my house the next day. Anyone else have this issue?

A lot depends on the part. For example, Heartland doesn't stock refrigerator parts. For traditional gas absorption refrigerators, the parts come from either Norcold or Dometic. Usually the dealer orders directly from the appliance manufacturer. I know from past experience that Dometic ships using an economical service that takes 7-10 business days after they hand the part to UPS or Fedex. It's possible to expedite shipment, but it's at your expense.

And some parts Heartland has to order from a supplier. So it takes time for Heartland to get the part from the supplier and more time to re-ship to the dealer. Obviously a drop-ship order from the supplier would be faster, but I don't think RV manufacturers have set up order and payment mechanisms to support doing that on a routine basis.

Some parts have to be manufactured. If you need a cabinet door for example, it has to be made to order. There are many, many different sizes, shapes, and finishes that have been used over the years. It would be cost-prohibitive to stock them all.

In the auto industry where the same parts are used by the millions, it's economical to use a nationwide tiered distribution network that can get you most commonly used parts much more quickly.

WalkTheLine

Thanks for the background info. That helps. I am not in the industry obviously and it does make sense for what goes on but at the same time, a statistical analysis of say, the top 100 reordered parts could be done and keep those items in low inventory? My example is the light cover fell off my TT and I was told by the dealer that it would take 4-6 weeks to get a lens cover replacement. I offered to pay for FedEx but it wasn't an option. They were sympathetic and a guy overheard our conversation and went out and pulled a cover off a wrecked TT that was same model and gave it to me free of charge which was awesome. But, I still think having to wait that long for a common part is a bit ridiculous. Just FWIW. As far as this thread is concerned, trying to get a replacement circuit board for the LP hot water heater.

Thanks!

danemayer

As far as this thread is concerned, trying to get a replacement circuit board for the LP hot water heater.

A water heater board is going to come from either Atwood or Suburban. The warranty on the water heater is provided by Atwood or Suburban, not Heartland. There is absolutely no reason for a dealer to order that board from Heartland.

WalkTheLine

A water heater board is going to come from either Atwood or Suburban. The warranty on the water heater is provided by Atwood or Suburban, not Heartland. There is absolutely no reason for a dealer to order that board from Heartland.

Wish the dealer would explain that..... thanks for the info and all, appreciate it.

WalkTheLine

Just FYI in case anyone is wondering-- dealer called today and said they spoke with Heartland and Heartland says, "Per the manufacturer, the roof was denied as 'bubbles are a normal occurrence and will fluctuate with temperature'." Whatever that means. I don't think bubbles in a roof should ever be normal. Anyone else have similar issues?