EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: AL, Cullman - 9/7/2018 to 9/9/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnaviator

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
We are officially booked. Arrive Sep 5, Depart Sep 12. Assigned pad M22.
Who (and how) do I get this additional $20 fee to?

Glad you can join us, we'll get you added to the list. We'll settle up on the fee for your guests on Thursday 9/6/2018, when we arrive at the campground. For the "how", greenbacks work just fine.

Fox

I'm hoping for the best but right now I really don't know. Last Wed (Aug 1st), while working out of state, my wife had an on the job injury (broke her shoulder bone).

That day a local Dr said wait a few days (until the swelling goes down) then see an ortho Dr. In lots of pain she managed to return home. Today I took her to a local ortho but the various states (she works for a Kansas company, injured in SC, lives/works out of Ala) and insurance companies are in disagreement as to how it'll be paid - and now our personal coverage won't pay (military and medicare) until resolved. Nor can we pay out of picket and then file for reimbursement.

In fairness it is slowly being financially resolved but she's in a lot of pain and in limbo, just waiting to see what the course of care will be (options are surgery or allow mother nature to heal itself). Hopefully we'll have some action in the next few days; in the meantime its drugs and an over-stressed hubby. Lesson learned: don't claim an on the job injury, just be quiet and file under regular benefits.

We don't want to miss out on this event but may have no choice.

usnaviator

I'm hoping for the best but right now I really don't know. Last Wed (Aug 1st), while working out of state, my wife had an on the job injury (broke her shoulder bone).

That day a local Dr said wait a few days (until the swelling goes down) then see an ortho Dr. In lots of pain she managed to return home. Today I took her to a local ortho but the various states (she works for a Kansas company, injured in SC, lives/works out of Ala) and insurance companies are in disagreement as to how it'll be paid - and now our personal coverage won't pay (military and medicare) until resolved. Nor can we pay out of picket and then file for reimbursement.

In fairness it is slowly being financially resolved but she's in a lot of pain and in limbo, just waiting to see what the course of care will be (options are surgery or allow mother nature to heal itself). Hopefully we'll have some action in the next few days; in the meantime its drugs and an over-stressed hubby. Lesson learned: don't claim an on the job injury, just be quiet and file under regular benefits.

We don't want to miss out on this event but may have no choice.

We're sure sorry to hear about Susan's injury. I can tell you from experience it's no fun being in the fifth wheel when you're having a mobility issue. Hopefully you can make it to the Rally but if not there are plenty more to attend. Please tell Susan we are wishing her a speedy recovery!

Fox

Slowly plodding along we now have a cat-scan appointment, for Wed evening at 1730 hours, and an ortho Dr appointment for Friday morning. Bear in mind the incident happened nearly a week ago.

She gave birth twice, all natural; and has shed more tears over this than birthing our two girls. I feel horrible - and there is nothing I can do.

Today she wanted to "get away" so we went to the campground where our 5th is parked (15 miles away). We spent 4-5 hours there, just napping the day away.

We're both still hoping for the best, now only a month away.

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
Paul and Sheila,
Just a reminder from Nashville, we are now back in Florida and will not be attending.
Linda

Tim & Susan Young will be occupying site M-3 Sept 7-9th. It has been a long time since the Orange Beach Rally and we are looking forward to seeing y'all again.

usnaviator

Check out Post #1. Added the Agenda and Mini Golf Smackdown Rules.

- - - Updated - - -

Tim & Susan Young will be occupying site M-3 Sept 7-9th. It has been a long time since the Orange Beach Rally and we are looking forward to seeing y'all again.

Tim, We're glad yours and Susan's schedule worked out so you could join us in Cullman. Be great to see you folks again!

usnaviator

Paul and Sheila,
Just a reminder from Nashville, we are now back in Florida and will not be attending.
Linda

Walter & Linda - It was good to see you guys in Nashville, what a surprise. We'll miss you at the rally (See you in Savannah).

ljawest

The Wandering Wests are registered in site M 19 to arrive Thursday, Sept 6 and depart Sunday. Looking forward to see our Heartland Friends after our long journey to Alaska and back.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Just double checking on the best route to get into Smith Lake. We will be coming in from the Huntsville area down I 65 south. Gps routes to hwy 222, then hwy 813. Is this ok pulling the camper?

usnaviator

Just double checking on the best route to get into Smith Lake. We will be coming in from the Huntsville area down I 65 south. Gps routes to hwy 222, then hwy 813. Is this ok pulling the camper?

That's a good route Nathan, that's the way we'll arriving. 222 is 4 lane and 813 is 2 lane but is no problem. Look forward to seeing everyone in a few days.

Fox

Good morning Cullman, AL. My wife and I arrived mid-afternoon yesterday, meer min. ahead of another Big Country's arrival. Rained poured down on us both - fortunatly it waitied for us both to get hooked up.

A couple of helpful hints: if on pads M13-M24 then go around the M row of campers in a CLOCKWISE pattern, otherwise you'll be like us two early birds. And if on the other pads then go around in the natural (keeping right) pattern. You must BACK-IN and that requires a huge turn if you proceed the way we both tried (keeping right and following the guidelines). I attempted to force it in and eventually found I had pulled the emer. brake cable off of the fifth, which only made things even tougher.

ADDED note: none of these pads/spots are at 90 degrees (as depicted in the literature) to the road.

And then the usual, I can't connect to the Wifi,
I'm now connected thru my Verizon Hotspot - but even that is weak.

One more thing, us two early birds got a picnic table, there doesn't appear to be one at each site.

Hope y'all read this before you get on the road and can plan accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool beans
thanks

We came in off I-65 at exit 305. Several (7-8) miles of narrower 2 lane highways but quite manageable.

usnaviator

Good morning Cullman, AL. My wife and I arrived mid-afternoon yesterday, meer min. ahead of another Big Country's arrival. Rained poured down on us both - fortunatly it waitied for us both to get hooked up.

A couple of helpful hints: if on pads M13-M24 then go around the M row of campers in a CLOCKWISE pattern, otherwise you'll be like us two early birds. And if on the other pads then go around in the natural (keeping right) pattern. You must BACK-IN and that requires a huge turn if you proceed the way we both tried (keeping right and following the guidelines). I attempted to force it in and eventually found I had pulled the emer. brake cable off of the fifth, which only made things even tougher.

ADDED note: none of these pads/spots are at 90 degrees (as depicted in the literature) to the road.

And then the usual, I can't connect to the Wifi,
I'm now connected thru my Verizon Hotspot - but even that is weak.

One more thing, us two early birds got a picnic table, there doesn't appear to be one at each site.

Hope y'all read this before you get on the road and can plan accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

We came in off I-65 at exit 305. Several (7-8) miles of narrower 2 lane highways but quite manageable.

Freeman, Thanks for the advice, it's good info. We'll be in about noon, see you then.

Buster537

Another Great Alabama Rally Paul and Sheila!!! We did not realize there was so much to do in Cullman. Thanks
James & Rhonda

Toccoatravelers

Just wanted to take a minute and say thank you Paul and Sheila for a nice weekend we really enjoyed our first Alabama Rally. We are going to check the dates for next year! Hope to see some of y’all down in Savannah and Sarasota.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thank You Paul and Sheila (and all of the Blackford work team) for putting on another great rally. It was fun seeing old friends and making new ones. Safe travels everyone til the next time. :)

usnaviator

Thanks to everyone who was able to make it to the rally. It was great seeing everyone again and looking forward to the next rally!
Group Photo.jpg

rbspitz

Mississippi Chapter Leaders-retired
Paul & Sheila, thanks for another great rally. Really enjoyed seeing everyone again and the visit to sights of Cullman, especially the Ave Maria Grotto.

See you soon,

Randy & Brenda

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.