Looking for Landmark reviews

Hello everyone,
I am thinking about getting a Landmark but all the reviews I have read online are very negative. Does anyone have any advice or positive things to say about this model. From all the reviews they are all falling apart as you pull them down the road.

Thanks

donr827

Re: Reviews

Where did all of these reviews come from? Owners are more likely to report problems then report that they have no problems.
Don

hoefler

We have an 06 Landmark Mt. Rushmore, owned it since 09, we have had a few issues, but nothing to get overly excited aout. They all have their quirks, most are very minor, some are dealer issues, some may be major. All in all, you have a house that is a rolling earth quake every time it is moved, things are going to happen. If you are handy, most of all issues can be resolved simply, if taken care of promptly. If you let little thing go until you can get it fixed by the dealer, they can become a major issue. If you know it is a 5 minute fix, just fix it, and continue on down the road.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Opinions are like certain body parts, everyone has one. :cool:

My opinion is that one needs to research the RV industry as a whole, and understand how it works, before buying one. Just because they are more expensive than an automobile, doesn't mean they are built with the precision of the auto industry.

RVs are produced on an assembly line, but entirely by humans crawling around the unit, each trying to accomplish their tasks as fast as possible. As far as towables, understand that they are building a house, not a vehicle -- using wood and plumbing and electrical -- in a very tight space. The industry as a whole is booming, and finding quality labor is getting harder and harder. The unemployment rate for Elkhart County (where most RVs are made) is very low, I think I saw 1.8%. Most RV manufacturing labor is paid on a per-piece rate, rather than hourly, so speed is the key.

All of the components are made elsewhere and assembled together. Each component has their own manufacturing standards, which may have their own issues.

Construction from start to finish may not take more than a few days! And we have heard they can product 13 rigs a day. That's pretty fast, and thus would be hard to expect perfection.

Once the completed rig is ready to roll, it may go and sit, waiting for transport to a dealer. Transport drivers have one goal, get it delivered as fast as possible so they can get paid and move on to the next one. They don't always follow safe/appropriate towing practices. This is where some damage can occur during transit from the factory.

No RV Dealer is an extension of Heartland, unlike car dealers. The RV Dealers are completely independent. THEY are actually RV Manufacturer's customers. The Dealers then re-sell the RV to you. How well a Dealer treats customers is not really in the Manufacturer's control. The Dealer is SUPPOSED to run a pre-delivery inspection on each unit BEFORE the customer takes delivery and fix any issues, but some choose not to do this, and expect the unsuspecting customer to find the issues. Obviously, that can leave a very sour taste in the mouths of customers.

Once you understand the nature of how the industry works, you can be better prepared for the realities of ownership.

Some manufacturers do a better job of aiding customers that have issues after ownership. Some are much worse. Our experience is Heartland is fairly easy to deal with directly, instead of going through a dealer, for customer-able repairs.

One of the major plusses with Heartland is this forum. Heartland directly supports the forum and its Owners Club, sponsoring owner rallies all over the US and Canada. They host a North American Owners Rally every other year in Goshen, and they listen to owners. They ask our opinion on floorplans and features. And they do stand by their product even after warranty, as we've heard of some folks having frame repairs done 3-4 years after purchase.

Hope this helps.

Erika

'Lil Guy'

Like stated earlier, most posts about units are from people with some sort of issue no matter how small. I can't stress how important it is to do a thorough and deliberate pre delivery inspection on your new rig no matter what brand you go with. By doing this , you can catch about 80% of any minor or otherwise issue with the rig you are purchasing. If left unattended, these minor issues can turn into larger ones down the road. Preventative maintenance goes a long way also. Things like checking the cabinet hinges and maybe tightening the screws instead of waiting for it to hit the floor is one example. Remember this a 16K# plus rig bouncing down the hwy. Just remember, the PDI before acceptance is the most important thing you can do. If you're not capable, get someone you know that knows these rigs to help you. One of the main reasons for this is you pay all of this money, take delivery and start having all of these minor issues happen to you and then you're dealer puts you off about the repairs. Believe me, they want to sell these units, not litter their yard with minor warranty issues. Water intrusion is a rigs biggest damager. Minor leaks at the fittings can ruin a new rig. With a proper PDI. the basement is open and hooked to city water and all lines are checked along with every electrical outlet etc.
I now own my 3rd HL product in 4 years, not because of problems but I moved up 1 foot at a time.lol I love my Bighorn which is similar to the LM in ways but it isn't a LM. I've since looked at the Oshkosh model from LM and am about to go nuts. I love the size, floorplan and the bedroom slides. I just can't afford to go upside down again right now.(wife won't let me)
I certainly wouldn't shy away from the HL Landmark due to some negative reviews. I travel and attend lots of rallies with members and friends who own them. I am in and out of them all the time and I think they are a beautifully built rig. If you go with the LM you won't be sorry and you've found the best family to help you if you do ever need assistance right here on the forum or at a rally. Good luck in your endeavor and hope to meet you down the road.

On another note, I would like to see everyone that loves their rig post up and tell what they like about it, how great the HL family is and how mush fun they have at the rallies along with the lifelong friends they've meet, but this forum probably doesn't have enough space to post them all. To be part of this family, you have to have a HL rig, another big selling point for HL.JMHO

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
WE have had two Landmarks, a 2011 Grand Canyon and now a 2018 Oshkosh. We are full timers. The first one had some issues right off the bat, but everything was taken care of under warranty. The Oshkosh is about 3 months old and has been no problem that I couldn't take care of myself. I am very confident that my dealer will be able to take care of any issues that may arise.

We have an 06 Landmark Mt. Rushmore, owned it since 09, we have had a few issues, but nothing to get overly excited aout. They all have their quirks, most are very minor, some are dealer issues, some may be major. All in all, you have a house that is a rolling earth quake every time it is moved, things are going to happen. If you are handy, most of all issues can be resolved simply, if taken care of promptly. If you let little thing go until you can get it fixed by the dealer, they can become a major issue. If you know it is a 5 minute fix, just fix it, and continue on down the road.

Thanks for the reply. I currently have a 2011 RW and I have really enjoyed it and now I am looking forward to upgrading. Like you said I had a few problems but they were minor and I was able to fix them myself.

Opinions are like certain body parts, everyone has one. :cool:

My opinion is that one needs to research the RV industry as a whole, and understand how it works, before buying one. Just because they are more expensive than an automobile, doesn't mean they are built with the precision of the auto industry.

RVs are produced on an assembly line, but entirely by humans crawling around the unit, each trying to accomplish their tasks as fast as possible. As far as towables, understand that they are building a house, not a vehicle -- using wood and plumbing and electrical -- in a very tight space. The industry as a whole is booming, and finding quality labor is getting harder and harder. The unemployment rate for Elkhart County (where most RVs are made) is very low, I think I saw 1.8%. Most RV manufacturing labor is paid on a per-piece rate, rather than hourly, so speed is the key.

All of the components are made elsewhere and assembled together. Each component has their own manufacturing standards, which may have their own issues.

Construction from start to finish may not take more than a few days! And we have heard they can product 13 rigs a day. That's pretty fast, and thus would be hard to expect perfection.

Once the completed rig is ready to roll, it may go and sit, waiting for transport to a dealer. Transport drivers have one goal, get it delivered as fast as possible so they can get paid and move on to the next one. They don't always follow safe/appropriate towing practices. This is where some damage can occur during transit from the factory.

No RV Dealer is an extension of Heartland, unlike car dealers. The RV Dealers are completely independent. THEY are actually RV Manufacturer's customers. The Dealers then re-sell the RV to you. How well a Dealer treats customers is not really in the Manufacturer's control. The Dealer is SUPPOSED to run a pre-delivery inspection on each unit BEFORE the customer takes delivery and fix any issues, but some choose not to do this, and expect the unsuspecting customer to find the issues. Obviously, that can leave a very sour taste in the mouths of customers.

Once you understand the nature of how the industry works, you can be better prepared for the realities of ownership.

Some manufacturers do a better job of aiding customers that have issues after ownership. Some are much worse. Our experience is Heartland is fairly easy to deal with directly, instead of going through a dealer, for customer-able repairs.

One of the major plusses with Heartland is this forum. Heartland directly supports the forum and its Owners Club, sponsoring owner rallies all over the US and Canada. They host a North American Owners Rally every other year in Goshen, and they listen to owners. They ask our opinion on floorplans and features. And they do stand by their product even after warranty, as we've heard of some folks having frame repairs done 3-4 years after purchase.

Hope this helps.

Erika

Thanks for all the great info.

Like stated earlier, most posts about units are from people with some sort of issue no matter how small. I can't stress how important it is to do a thorough and deliberate pre delivery inspection on your new rig no matter what brand you go with. By doing this , you can catch about 80% of any minor or otherwise issue with the rig you are purchasing. If left unattended, these minor issues can turn into larger ones down the road. Preventative maintenance goes a long way also. Things like checking the cabinet hinges and maybe tightening the screws instead of waiting for it to hit the floor is one example. Remember this a 16K# plus rig bouncing down the hwy. Just remember, the PDI before acceptance is the most important thing you can do. If you're not capable, get someone you know that knows these rigs to help you. One of the main reasons for this is you pay all of this money, take delivery and start having all of these minor issues happen to you and then you're dealer puts you off about the repairs. Believe me, they want to sell these units, not litter their yard with minor warranty issues. Water intrusion is a rigs biggest damager. Minor leaks at the fittings can ruin a new rig. With a proper PDI. the basement is open and hooked to city water and all lines are checked along with every electrical outlet etc.
I now own my 3rd HL product in 4 years, not because of problems but I moved up 1 foot at a time.lol I love my Bighorn which is similar to the LM in ways but it isn't a LM. I've since looked at the Oshkosh model from LM and am about to go nuts. I love the size, floorplan and the bedroom slides. I just can't afford to go upside down again right now.(wife won't let me)
I certainly wouldn't shy away from the HL Landmark due to some negative reviews. I travel and attend lots of rallies with members and friends who own them. I am in and out of them all the time and I think they are a beautifully built rig. If you go with the LM you won't be sorry and you've found the best family to help you if you do ever need assistance right here on the forum or at a rally. Good luck in your endeavor and hope to meet you down the road.

On another note, I would like to see everyone that loves their rig post up and tell what they like about it, how great the HL family is and how mush fun they have at the rallies along with the lifelong friends they've meet, but this forum probably doesn't have enough space to post them all. To be part of this family, you have to have a HL rig, another big selling point for HL.JMHO

Thank you for all the great info. I have a 2011 RW at the moment but am looking forward to the upgrade after retiring from the Navy in a couple of years.

carl.swoyer

Hello everyone,
I am thinking about getting a Landmark but all the reviews I have read online are very negative. Does anyone have any advice or positive things to say about this model. From all the reviews they are all falling apart as you pull them down the road.

Thanks
I own a 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel and the factory throwing it together is a problem. When it was new I spent 9 months in a service bay to include a trip to the factory for more repairs. That being said , I no longer have any issues. It's all upkeep and maintenance.. I think if you buy any model' from multiple manufacturer your going to have the same problems.
Purchased mine new I'm very happy with how it is holding up. Yes things come loose. Just yesterday I opened up my transfer switch to find L1 out of the socket and four others loose. But I consider that as periodic maintenance/ preventive maintenance. Full body automotive paint it the best.
e7dae2709cc0cd815ae225dec756bfc6.jpg
73fa4e85f92bf1615ee5c88654d6a2e9.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

busted2341

Most reviews are going to be negative because either the factory or dealer is not handling the problem the way the owner wants it or needs it to be handles. We are on our 4th Heartland product which included a Big Horn 2 Big Countries and now our favorite the Heatland Landmark 365 Ashland. We have had a few issues that happened during build such as a water leak x2 that should have been seen at the factory(line was not properly crimped), then certainly at the dealer and the cheapest refrigerator water line of 1/4 inch plex line instead of residential water line to ice maker. Other than that we have been pretty much free of problems and those that came up, I personally emailed Heartland and was provided the part I needed with just an explanation and a few pictures. Couldn't be happier with Heartland and I AM one of those that like to post when I have a problem!

'Lil Guy'

Thank you for all the great info. I have a 2011 RW at the moment but am looking forward to the upgrade after retiring from the Navy in a couple of years.

Thanks for your service to our great country. I did my time in the Navy also. Hope you become part of the HL family.

Pokiejoe

We have been in our Landmark for just under a year and yes you will have small things happen.But that comes with any brand. What we love is the people you will meet and any one of them will help in any way they can!

Oldelevatorman

Any brand and model can be picked apart. We love our Landmark Newport. Couples of minor things but couldn't be happier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave10a

I have bought mine new from Camping World which was a mistake. Heartland takes much better care of its customers than Camping World. I was new to fifth wheel trailers and came from a diesel pusher built by Tiffin. Tiffin now builds a 5th wheel, but if you want to carry more than a tooth bush, it may be a problem. The main thing I found out the hard way is that my trailer is not as road worthy as a diesel pusher and the 5th wheel has more room which is the main reason I bought it. I have put over 50,000 miles on the trailer and have replaced one axle, upgraded the shackles with wet bolts and replaced 2 set of bearings and races. I perform the maintenance per Dexter, Heartland and Lippert recommendations. My mistake is believing the easy lube propaganda and soon learned to pack the bearing the old fashion way if one wants better bearing reliability. As far as the rest of the trailer is concerned, I would rate it as average as compared to other manufacturers. It has taken me over a year to get all the bugs out-- Most of the production bugs are out. Now the trailer seems to be ok, but the wife is more nervous than I am. I am getting ready to by a new rig this spring and I am planning a trip to Indiana to tour various plant tours. Most of the manufacturers are with in an hours drive and should result in a fun weeks effort. When I finally decide on my next trailer, I will be better educated and experienced.

Oldelevatorman

Let me know when you find a trailer that never has problems. Landmark is not average by any stretch. Sorry you had a bad experience. I looked at everything on the market in that price and found nothing comparable, but that's certainly my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk