Height of pin?

bwdt

I'm a soon to be new owner of a Bighorn Traveler and wanted to know what the height of the pin would be when the trailer is sitting level. I will start shopping for the new hitch and wanted to get an ideal of what height the hitch needed to be in my truck. My truck sits kinda high and I wanted to try and get an ideal of where the hitch height might be in relation to the edge etc.

Oldelevatorman

You need at least 6" from truck bed sides to bottom of the fifth wheel. Hitches are adjustable so you need to see where it sits and go from there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwdt

Are they adjustable on the front of the trailer?
What is the height of the trailer?

The reason I'm asking is I have a dodge 4X4 with 33" tires and it sits pretty high. I'm will be shopping for a hitch to mount on the goose neck that's in the truck and want to get an ideal on the height, trying to make sure I don't have problems when I drive to Ohio to pick up the trailer.

I'm looking at the Anderson, Companion, and the Demco. I like the Demco and was thinking of using it with a rubber mat in the bed (the manufacturer, said that will be fine)

Another question came up.

I noticed that most of the goose neck mount hitches put the pin just behind the goose neck ball, and the Anderson puts the pin just in front of the goose neck? I have a long bed truck and thought that it would be better just in front of the ball for weight distribution?

Oldelevatorman

What does your bed measure from ground to top of bed rails?My truck, a 2015 F350 dually, sits at 50" top of bedside buts that's 2wd too. Fifth wheel sitting level, not hooked up, is 59". Can't give exact without hooking it up. If you're way higher than a standard 4wd, you may be too close. Just a guess.

Last edited:

bwdt

My bed is 4' 9" to the top of the bed box, I have bed rails on the truck that I can remove, to the top of the rails it's 5' even. and from the bottom of the be to the box top is 20"

Oldelevatorman

I think you're too high. Go to the dealer and back up to a fifth wheel. Didn't you check it out when you bought the Bighorn? You need 6" clearance and the 5th wheel needs to sit level! I have the B&W companion but would like an Anderson at some point!

Oldelevatorman

With less than 6" you risk damage. You make a turn and go up a driveway when you're not parallel to the truck anymore. Trailer hits the bedside of the truck, maybe! See where you're at when you get the trailer and go from there!

bwdt

I understand, I was hoping someone could give me the measurement from the ground to the bottom of the trailer and the bottom of the hitch. With these two measurements I could make sure that what ever hitch I purchase would work provided the truck isn't to high. As I said the truck is the same height as the ford next store......So I am pretty sure it will work, I just want to make sure that I don't buy a hitch that won't work, and I wanted to buy the hitch before I go to pick up the trailer.

I also wanted to know if the pins are adjustable in any way as well.

Oldelevatorman

My companion is adjustable front to back and up and down. I don't think the part on the trailer is adjustable but not sure. It doesn't look like it is. Still not understanding why you didn't figure this out when you bought the trailer. I would say all hitches are going to be close to the same height.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Have you thought of calling the dealer and asking them, or going to a dealer close to you and getting a measurement? IMO anyone who changes the factory height of their pickup will suffer for it one way or the other. You may in this case. I would be willing to bet you wont know for sure until you have the pickup backed up in front of a trailer. Might be a better plan to buy your hitch from the dealer you are getting the trailer from so they can sell you the right one and adjust it as well. Or put stock wheels and tire on...