Check your axle tags

Oldelevatorman

Crawled under my 2017 Landmark Newport to take a picture of the axle tag so I can have disc brakes put on at the Pueblo rally. The only problem is the axles are 7000#, not 8000#! Really? I guess the stuff I've been complaining about that happens to everyone happened to us. So I'm 18000# on top of 14000# axles , cross country and back. So I send a pic of the tag to Heartland and they say we'll get back to you we're trying to determine why it happened, have a nice day! Just send 2 bigger axles to Auburn CA and then figure out whose fault it is and then I'll have a wonderful day. C'mon man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldelevatorman

Re: How fast can the factory move!

Dexter is sending the 8k axles out today to our repair shop. We also had a leaking kitchen slide-out cylinder as well which has soaked a big section of the coroplast and the insulation underneath. Heartland has agreed to replace the whole length of coroplast which will be easier once the old axles are out of the way. That will give me a chance to look at the underside of the LM and make sure it's all staying together and for the new cylinder to be installed.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Good to know those 7k axles will hold up to more than they are rated for.
Keep in mind that the 18k weight is not entirely on the axles. Some of it will be on the hitch and 4k pin weight is not out of line for that trailer when loaded.

Peace
Dave

Oldelevatorman

Keep in mind that the 18k weight is not entirely on the axles. Some of it will be on the hitch and 4k pin weight is not out of line for that trailer when loaded.

Peace
Dave

My pin is 4K, that's a bad mistake to make no matter how you look at it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I'm not discounting the mistake, my point is that the 7k axles are not carrying the 18k.

Peace
Dave

Oldelevatorman

I'm not discounting the mistake, my point is that the 7k axles are not carrying the 18k.

Peace
Dave
I appreciate your point and do know that. Just upset that it happened on ours. A little more QC goes a long way.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

Peace
Dave

So then the 8k axles are not really needed then?

esscobra

its not so much the axles as the bearings/brakes - the brakes are nearly double the size on the 8k vs the 7k - I have friend that builds heavy duty goosenecks etc and is large trailer parts distributor- asked him about the upgrade to 8k from 7k and or disks before ordering my bighorn- showed me the difference in 7k v 8k assemblies- he said get 8k upgrade and and setting 3 on brake controller is all I need to stop trailer and truck- for as many on here with 16k rigs who say the disc conversion was so badly needed- cant imagine how much worse it would be with another 2-2500lbs

Oldelevatorman

its not so much the axles as the bearings/brakes - the brakes are nearly double the size on the 8k vs the 7k - I have friend that builds heavy duty goosenecks etc and is large trailer parts distributor- asked him about the upgrade to 8k from 7k and or disks before ordering my bighorn- showed me the difference in 7k v 8k assemblies- he said get 8k upgrade and and setting 3 on brake controller is all I need to stop trailer and truck- for as many on here with 16k rigs who say the disc conversion was so badly needed- cant imagine how much worse it would be with another 2-2500lbs

My current controller setting with drum brakes is 8-9. Be nice to cut that in half with disc brakes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dave10a

Crawled under my 2017 Landmark Newport to take a picture of the axle tag so I can have disc brakes put on at the Pueblo rally. The only problem is the axles are 7000#, not 8000#! Really? I guess the stuff I've been complaining about that happens to everyone happened to us. So I'm 18000# on top of 14000# axles , cross country and back. So I send a pic of the tag to Heartland and they say we'll get back to you we're trying to determine why it happened, have a nice day! Just send 2 bigger axles to Auburn CA and then figure out whose fault it is and then I'll have a wonderful day. C'mon man!

experiences like this is a great help for my decision for which trailer to buy :))

esscobra

My current controller setting with drum brakes is 8-9. Be nice to cut that in half with disc brakes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have discs- I have the 8k axle upgrade option which also has brakes that are nearly double the size of the ones on the stock 7k axles-

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 45