Basement and front storage doors not secure

2018 LM Newport, the slam latch on the basement doors are not secure. When locked you can use a knife blade to slide the latch up and have the door open in about 30 seconds. Anybody know where to get new handles with latches that actually lock in place and don’t cost over a hundred dollars? I know about the RV lock system (I have one on my entry door) but with 3 doors= 6 handles the cost is rather high. Thanks in advance for any and all help, Roy

rxbristol

2018 LM Newport, the slam latch on the basement doors are not secure. When locked you can use a knife blade to slide the latch up and have the door open in about 30 seconds. Anybody know where to get new handles with latches that actually lock in place and don’t cost over a hundred dollars? I know about the RV lock system (I have one on my entry door) but with 3 doors= 6 handles the cost is rather high. Thanks in advance for any and all help, Roy

That's why insurance companies will not insure contents from theft.

jbeletti

I can't think of any commercially available, "more secure" handles to replace the OEM slam latch handles.

I can think of a home-brew solution that could be more effective but not so great looking.

What if a piece of 2" flat stock was coated with undercoating a similar color to the baggage door, then was "affixed" in some fashion, horizontally across the gap at the bottom of the door, then padlocked at each end?

Regardless of any improved locking method, a small pry bar could likely defeat it. Could be a money losing battle coming up with anything truly effective.

If you do come up with something, please circle back here to share it so we can all learn from your research.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While not 100% foolproof, the original rotating locks took more effort to defeat than a spring loaded latch. Replacing the OEM CH751 lock with a tumbler lock improved security.

Using a knife blade to open a spring door latch is a fireman’s trick, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary521

While not a total security improvement, RVlocksandmore has slam locks keyed to the same key as your front door. All slam locks from the factory are keyed the same. The new slam locks are about $15 each ( approx.) They can key any camlocks to the front door key also.

SNOKING

I noticed this today while working on one of mine. SS plates bolted to the door covering the gap would make it more difficult.

Roller4tan

Perhaps a residential deadbolt lock could be installed. The deadbolt would penetrate deeper, but another key to carry.

CDN

B and B
Broken into This week

I just went over the storage lot to load up to go away. Some jack*** just pulled the handles and pulled open one bay bending the door. Also broke too other locks. I always knew thus was a week spot. I am thinking of getting some tamper proof bolts and putting threaded inserts into the door frame. I can put two fasters on each door at each corner tighten down in storage and just use the regular paddle locks when camping. As I am part of the RV club executive I checked every other trailer or motorhome and many do not lock there handle locks, just dead bolts.

They did not take anything.

https://spaenaur.com/catalog/B102/

Last edited by a moderator: