Want to add fan to vent

huckthe1

I have a 2018 NT 26LRSS that has a vent in the living area but does not have a fan. I would like to add a Fantastic fan but there is no 12 volt power in area. I took off the vent shroud I have and only see the aluminum frame with no holes to pull wires so am sure I will have to drill through this. There is a light about a foot away and I have looked a the wiring of it. It has 2 wires which I see as power coming in from a switch and the other going to another light in the chain.

How can I get 12 volt power to this vent?

VACHZHD

If there is no other 12V visible/available the easiest thing to do would be tap into the lighting circuit at the closest light. I wired a fan this way on our 5th wheel. The downside of this method is that the fan will only run when the light switch is in the 'on' position. If the ceiling fixtures all have individual switches on them you are able to turn them off one at a time which will allow you to run the fan with the lights off if you ever want to.

Just double check the fuse capacity for the circuit these lights are on to make sure the fan isn't going to overload the circuit if you add it. Chances are you'll be fine.

If you do decide to drill through your frame member be sure to put a rubber grommet on the frame or otherwise reinforce the wires you pull through there to prevent chaffing and a short circuit later on.

Best of luck on your installation!

huckthe1

If there is no other 12V visible/available the easiest thing to do would be tap into the lighting circuit at the closest light. I wired a fan this way on our 5th wheel. The downside of this method is that the fan will only run when the light switch is in the 'on' position. If the ceiling fixtures all have individual switches on them you are able to turn them off one at a time which will allow you to run the fan with the lights off if you ever want to.
Yes that is what I thought about doing but no switch on my lights. I was thinking of adding a switch so I could keep power on fan and turn the lights off. My other thought was to snake a new wire up to the fan by the existing wire and add a switch there but not sure this is feasible as not sure I could snake the wire to the existing switches in my cabinet through the roof area to get power.

I just thought Heartland may have put wires there for a fan for if it had been an option, and was wondering if anyone has added a fan to their vent. I guess the existing wire option does not exist.

My lights are LED so amp draw is low(<1). The fan draws only 4 amps. Will still check. Thanks

Peter