Agm batteries

Mrsfish

We need to replace our batteries in our rig and we are strongly considering AGM batteries. For those of you that have them- what brand and size did you go with?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We bought two group 31 AGM batteries from Sams Club. Be sure to take your old ones in for there will not be a "core charge".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrsfish

We bought two group 31 AGM batteries from Sams Club. Be sure to take your old ones in for there will not be a "core charge".

i understand that if we go with the 31’s we will also need new battery boxes?

TravelTiger

i understand that if we go with the 31’s we will also need new battery boxes?

Oh yes, I forgot that. We found them at WalMart, if you want actual battery boxes. We bought two, and longer/heavier connecting wires at an auto parts store. If you want to use another container, maybe others can weigh in.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We bought the Duracell/Deka batteries Erika is referring to. I found that 2 individual boxes for group 31 batteries will fit under the original box lid. I threaded the straps together to make one long one that holds it all together.

Kathi-27

northstar two 24. have had for 2 years with no problems. have res frig. still had 3 lites on batt power after 24 hrs

carl.swoyer

We need to replace our batteries in our rig and we are strongly considering AGM batteries. For those of you that have them- what brand and size did you go with?
I have always used deka group 31 AGM batteries. My setup is four AGM batteries wired together. I purchased the " usable" they are seconds , missing handle scratches but work great
ec02631e9d926b11b261889b1ccb92bd.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MTPockets

I’m recalling that AGM batteries do best with a charger designed for AGM batteries... I don’t recall details, just a suggestion to look at your charger specs and verify it’s effectiveness on AGM batteries.

dave10a

I had the dealer install AGM's and swap out the Heatland supplied charger for a Xantrex because the supplied charger does not configure for AGM's like Xantrex. Everything has been good. BTY AGM batteries do not require a vent so they can be mounted anywhere. Even though the manufacturer of the stock charger claims it is compatible with AGM's as well a wet cell, I find it hard to believe because the charge voltages are different and the built in equalization cycle is a no-no for AGM's. So rather than risk long term damage of my AGM's it swaped out the charger for a more intelligent charger like Xantrex True charge 2. I don't know why some manufacturers make claims that are questionable-- I think they call that marketing :)

Kathi-27

have factory set up for 2017 bighorn and 2 agm batteries for 2 years with no problem. all I did was swap out factory cheap batteries

Bones

Since I already had a double battery box and I didn't do any dry camping I figured I would make things easier and bought 2 group 27 AGM batteries by Trojan. I have had them for awhile now and have not had any issues with them yet. Knock on wood.:cool::cool:

0304161406a.jpg0229161539b.jpg

carl.swoyer

I’m recalling that AGM batteries do best with a charger designed for AGM batteries... I don’t recall details, just a suggestion to look at your charger specs and verify it’s effectiveness on AGM batteries.
You are correct. My Magnum Ms 2812 and my morning star duo charge controller allows me to identify the specific type of batteries. The morning star duo charge controller is for my 220watt solar panel.

DaveTyler

You are correct. My Magnum Ms 2812 and my morning star duo charge controller allows me to identify the specific type of batteries. The morning star duo charge controller is for my 220watt solar panel.

Where can you buy the AGM 27 batteries? Have looked with no luck. What costs? Thanks

carl.swoyer

Where can you buy the AGM 27 batteries? Have looked with no luck. What costs? Thanks

I purchased deka group 31 AGM batteries. They are seconds called the usable. Internally they are fine but may have missing handle or cosmetic flaws. I usually spend $ 400.00 for four new ones.
86139910bb3002f518169161c4ff4bf8.jpg

carl.swoyer

Google Deka batteries authorized dealer. I would consider going with group 31 AGM batteries. I've been using the group 31 for ten years. Love them.

TravelTiger

Dave, check Sams Club. Not all of them carry the 27, but I researched and their Duracell AGM batteries are made by Deka.

Lou_and_Bette

OKAY, I have been following this thread and, since I tend to be a little slow on grasping technical concepts, can I replace my batteries in my BigHorn with either the AGM 27 or 31’s without changing my converter or causing a problem with my inverter that runs the refrigerator?

carl.swoyer

Dave, check Sams Club. Not all of them carry the 27, but I researched and their Duracell AGM batteries are made by Deka.

As a side note, I usually pay dollars for each of my group 31 AGM " the usable"batteries.
Fort Myers FL route 80 discount batteries. 3911 palm Beach Blvd
239-693-9400. Ask for Paul.