Agm batteries

Kathi-27

OKAY, I have been following this thread and, since I tend to be a little slow on grasping technical concepts, can I replace my batteries in my BigHorn with either the AGM 27 or 31’s without changing my converter or causing a problem with my inverter that runs the refrigerator?
that's all we did on our 2017 bighorn when we bought it 2 years ago. no problems yet. put two 24 agm batteries in place of factory battery

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
OKAY, I have been following this thread and, since I tend to be a little slow on grasping technical concepts, can I replace my batteries in my BigHorn with either the AGM 27 or 31’s without changing my converter or causing a problem with my inverter that runs the refrigerator?

Yep. My 2 wet cell 27s were about toast. As we boondock some I wanted to increase my 12v capacity so I bought 2 new battery boxes at Walmart like Erika did and 2 31 AGM batteries to power the coach. The existing battery boxes can only accommodate 27s. AGM batteries are sealed so maintenance free to boot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yep. My 2 wet cell 27s were about toast. As we boondock some I wanted to increase my 12v capacity so I bought 2 new battery boxes at Walmart like Erika did and 2 31 AGM batteries to power the coach. The existing battery boxes can only accommodate 27s. AGM batteries are sealed so maintenance free to boot!!

Yes we changed the battery boxes to bigger ones, and needed longer thicker connecting cables. But love the 31s. We just cut the vent pipe off, left the vents in the wall.

dave10a

The inverter could care less but it depends on the Charger you have. The Progressive Dynamics 9200 that I had does and automatic equalization cycle every so many hours (a week or two-don't remember the exact time) of contiguous operation. AGM batteries do not tolerate that equalization charge very well and will decrease the battery life. Since I am a snow bird that stay with the charger running for months at a time, I elected to swap out the Progressive Dynamics with a xantrex charger that is programmable to handle all types of batteries. After 5 years things are still doing well and the AGM's have never let me down. BTY I contacted Progressive Dynamics and they claim that their charger is AGM compatible, but could not satisfy my concern about battery equalization. I suppose if one does not run the Progressive Dynamics long enough for the automatic equalization cycle things would be OK, but I wanted a peace of mind to protect the expensive AGM batteries.

Also the charging voltages are different between lead acid and AGM. So the AGM will be somewhat over/under charged all the time with the Progressive Dynamics converter. Also the Xantrex is temperature controlled which assure the proper charge all temperatures. There are several other chargers that do well with AGM's.

DaveTyler

As a side note, I usually pay dollars for each of my group 31 AGM " the usable"batteries.
Fort Myers FL route 80 discount batteries. 3911 palm Beach Blvd
239-693-9400. Ask for Paul.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lou and Bette. I did find AGM 27’s at Sam’s. Under Duracell label made by Deka or the one Erika said. Cost was $159 each. Since I had 27’s I had box and wires to hook up. Seems to be working ok. Thanks for all the input. Mine are in a Big Horn. Dave

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
You should be real happy with the deka group 31 AGM batteries.

So far, yes. Definitely increased capacity
We boondocked in a parking lot New Year night on our way south. Fridge and furnace 12+ hours and the furnace ran a lot...temps dropped from 20* to 9* by morning

Greengas

I purchased deka group 31 AGM batteries. They are seconds called the usable. Internally they are fine but may have missing handle or cosmetic flaws. I usually spend $ 400.00 for four new ones.
86139910bb3002f518169161c4ff4bf8.jpg

I am trying to find places to get "useable" AGM batteries but not having any luck. Other than a local dealer, is there a web site or some such thing?

carl.swoyer

I am trying to find places to get "useable" AGM batteries but not having any luck. Other than a local dealer, is there a web site or some such thing?
I get mine from discount battery fort Myers FL on route 80.
Maybe he can ship them to you.

RossRagan

Re: Agm batteries - Dealer Disputes that These are Superior to Conventional Lead Acid

New to this forum (and travel trailers) so first post here. I am in the process of purchasing my first RV and need to get batteries for the TT before I go pick it up. Having read through this thread, I was geared toward getting a pair of AGM batteries but I asked the parts guy at the dealer today when I was up there to sign papers and I was told that because the batteries are continuously on charge when hooked to the trailer, the AGM batteries will not get the chance to cool, which he said they needed, and their service life is going to be shortened due to overheating. He recommended that I stay with conventional deep cycle.

Can anyone recommend a reputable technical resource that I can access to study these technologies pretty quickly?

WBG

WBGavin
Re: Agm batteries - Dealer Disputes that These are Superior to Conventional Lead Acid

New to this forum (and travel trailers) so first post here. I am in the process of purchasing my first RV and need to get batteries for the TT before I go pick it up. Having read through this thread, I was geared toward getting a pair of AGM batteries but I asked the parts guy at the dealer today when I was up there to sign papers and I was told that because the batteries are continuously on charge when hooked to the trailer, the AGM batteries will not get the chance to cool, which he said they needed, and their service life is going to be shortened due to overheating. He recommended that I stay with conventional deep cycle.

Can anyone recommend a reputable technical resource that I can access to study these technologies pretty quickly?

Try this website. Looks like AGMs are best if you want ease of use and you have a "smart" controller. If you want max amp hrs., go with a 6 volt golf cart type
http://www.rvroadtrip.us/library/12v_system.php

Kathi-27

have had agm batts for 2 years full timing and plugged into shore power a lot and have had no problems.