Diesel generator

Nightshifter

I’m thinking about putting an 8kw diesel generator in my Landmark 365. Also adding a tank under the frame behind the basement. It won’t hang down any lower than the front drop frame. Any comments?

danemayer

I think the Precision Controls System energy management system in your LN 365 assumes a 5500 watt generator and when on generator power will likely shed loads to keep the total power usage to a max of 5500 watts. So you may not get much benefit from the additional output of an 8000 watt generator.

You might call PCS to find out if this is correct and if there's any workaround that would let you use full power from the generator.

Let us know what you find out.

porthole

Retired
PCS can reprogram the software for a fee. Presets, load shedding order etc.
Could be beneficial if you want your water heater to shed before your CheapHeat for example.

To the OP, if you have CheapHeat or a 220 dryer, the commercial version of the 6 and 10KW diesel gen’s can be had in 110/220

jbeletti

PCS can reprogram the software for a fee. Presets, load shedding order etc.
Could be beneficial if you want your water heater to shed before your CheapHeat for example.

To the OP, if you have CheapHeat or a 220 dryer, the commercial version of the 6 and 10KW diesel gen’s can be had in 110/220

As a side note to this, Cheap Heat is typically tied in at the transfer switch, paralleling it onto the lugs of the shore power input. So, not sheddable by the PCS in the recommended installation.

esscobra

I looked at doing that as well - but weight /size - having to cut bottom and re-support to get gen in there plus cost - so I put the 7k efi onan in ( under $4k- slid right in to factory prep - and runs everything - with a/c's on in summer in texas- was planning on putting tank behind drop frame as well- however time constraints deemed I mounted a 14 gal tank in place of 1 propane tanks and works like a champ - 5 gal in am and 5 at before bed - only one time did not fill in morning - and it ran out sometime between 7-10pm that night - we use constantly and pretty hard loaded- both a/c units on - after recently looing at some toyhaulers with tanks in-between frame rails at rear - im going o pull chloroplast and see what kind of room is back there ad possibly do that - have not put one behind drop yet as its really been easy having the tank right there by generator and easy to fill and the 14gal has not really limited me and made me want to spend $$ to put the 20-25 ga tank there

Nightshifter

Started on my diesel generator project today. I got the floor cut out and made a new sheet metal enclosure for it. The box is about 4” longer4C5DBFA2-881E-4882-8000-60C69C38AF34.jpgC1CFC357-D2AA-4CC9-A559-854C10849B76.jpg

Attachments

• 61395483-A397-4C85-B38F-DE3AED4EC126.jpg
    61395483-A397-4C85-B38F-DE3AED4EC126.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 116

porthole

Retired
Are you going to line the box with anything like Dynamat?

That gen is pretty quiet already, but doing it yourself gives you options.

At the Hershey RV show I was able to hear this gen run, they usually have a display on a stand setup to run for demos.

Figure out your fuel storage yet?

I have considered two options, a tank made that is long and only a few inches tall mounted across the bottom of the frame, under the basement storage area. My other thought is to eliminate one propane tank and build a tank that would fit that compartment. Doing the that on the left side offers a good place for the tank, isolated and an easy fill location.

porthole

Retired
I also plan on some type of connection to tap off the trucks fuel tank. Either to fill the trailer tank or just a straight run off the truck tank.

Using a pump at the truck tied into the gen feed and a 1/4 turn valve upstream of the connection, I would be able to either supply the gen or back fill the tank.
Or, if the trailer tank is low enough, could just be a gravity feed similar to what I am doing now supplying the truck's engine.

(Onan has a pump just for that purpose, auxiliary or distance solution)

Nightshifter

Got the generator in place for a trial fit. I have 1” on the left and the back and 1.5” on the right side. Onan only calls for .25” inch clearance. I’m going to put in the Dynamat for extra sound deadening. I have my fuel tank ready to go underneath behind the frame drop. I’m going to support the tank and the generator with 2x2x1/4 angle across to the fram rails.BB428A1F-44FA-4802-B6D2-4C3374ACF945.jpgA0963BA1-70CD-496B-AF4E-77F5F750DD45.jpg97F5E5D6-66D2-49CE-9AC9-D4725F73A494.jpgFD95106C-C0D5-46A6-B3D5-E9F9162059D7.jpg79ECDEAB-897E-4BD6-99C5-3B4E1F33EC2E.jpg

porthole

Retired
Got the generator in place for a trial fit. I have 1” on the left and the back and 1.5” on the right side. Onan only calls for .25” inch clearance. I’m going to put in the Dynamat for extra sound deadening. I have my fuel tank ready to go underneath behind the frame drop. I’m going to support the tank and the generator with 2x2x1/4 angle across to the fram rails.View attachment 57177View attachment 57178View attachment 57179View attachment 57180View attachment 57181

Looking good.
How did you muscle it in the compartment ?

Who did the fuel tank ?

esscobra

Got the generator in place for a trial fit. I have 1” on the left and the back and 1.5” on the right side. Onan only calls for .25” inch clearance. I’m going to put in the Dynamat for extra sound deadening. I have my fuel tank ready to go underneath behind the frame drop. I’m going to support the tank and the generator with 2x2x1/4 angle across to the fram rails.View attachment 57177View attachment 57178View attachment 57179View attachment 57180View attachment 57181

what tank did you go with? capacity?

Nightshifter

I raised the unit up from the floor through the bottom. The base plate has a 2” lip all around the perimeter of the generator base. When it is up in place the base plate seals against the bottom of the old floor. My angle iron will support the base plate from the frame rails. I raised the camper up in the front with the two hydraulic jacks and pushed the unit underneath on a flat four wheel buggy. Then I lowered the camper back down to level and pushed it up in place with a floor jack. I’ll bolt the angle iron supports in place in case I ever have the remove it for a major repair. The tank was custom made by Boyd’s Custom Tanks in Ocala Florida. I picked it up when we were down in Orlando for vacation in February. It will hold 50 gallons. There is a gauge, fill, supply, and return on the tank. The run time with the propane didn’t suit me and avvidclif summed up the rest. If we go to a NASCAR race for a long weekend I need the run time. We used to go with our Winnebago and that had an 80 gallon gas tank that also ran the generator. I also have to get the power management control reprogrammed to the 8kw. It is programmed for a 5500 from the factory. No big deal.

porthole

Retired
I raised the unit up from the floor through the bottom. The base plate has a 2” lip all around the perimeter of the generator base. When it is up in place the base plate seals against the bottom of the old floor. My angle iron will support the base plate from the frame rails. I raised the camper up in the front with the two hydraulic jacks and pushed the unit underneath on a flat four wheel buggy. Then I lowered the camper back down to level and pushed it up in place with a floor jack. I’ll bolt the angle iron supports in place in case I ever have the remove it for a major repair. The tank was custom made by Boyd’s Custom Tanks in Ocala Florida. I picked it up when we were down in Orlando for vacation in February. It will hold 50 gallons. There is a gauge, fill, supply, and return on the tank. The run time with the propane didn’t suit me and avvidclif summed up the rest. If we go to a NASCAR race for a long weekend I need the run time. We used to go with our Winnebago and that had an 80 gallon gas tank that also ran the generator. I also have to get the power management control reprogrammed to the 8kw. It is programmed for a 5500 from the factory. No big deal.

Did you take anymore pictures then what you have posted so far?

I was wondering if they would fit through the bottom. I followed two other diesel installs.
One person made some ramps and blocking that allowed him to slide the genny in from the bed of his pick up truck.
The other was able to use an engine hoist and went in though the right side basement door.

Both guys made it look easy.

Reprogramming - I inquired back when we first had a Landmark on order, before we had the PCS controls about reprograming. I specifically wanted to make some changes to the shed order.

The cost is $250, a bit pricey I think.

Before you bother though, check the PCS manual. There are two versions of the management system, what Heartland is using and less optioned version.

For the load shedding on the lesser version the system only load sheds when on 30 or 20 amp service. It is programmed to not be a factor when on 50 amp service or using the generator. The programming 'assumes' when on 50 or genny that shedding is not necessary.

Not sure why other then maybe when the EMS was designed the rigs didn't have 3 AC's to contend with. Even so, when load shedding the EMS opens relays to start shedding the heavy loads but for the AC's it just uses low voltage circuitry to turn off the compressor through the thermostat controls.

Oldelevatorman

In my case;
1. 3 AC's
2. Common fuel for truck
3. longer life of generator
4. Quieter

I haven't done it yet but it's on the radar

Sounds like 4 good reasons.
We have 2 HF gennies but just for emergencies since we don't dry camp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightshifter

I completed the lower support structure and added the Dynamat to the enclosure. Bolted the generator to the support angle iron and raised it up from the bottom with two floor jacks. It went up real smooth and easy. I bolted the cross members in place. Did the power wiring pigtail and the battery wires along with the control conductors before putting it up. Now I’m working on the tank.A77D74B7-76B0-4605-9989-DA58B6564EE1.jpgE7D4198B-7A72-484E-B001-032F85CCB29F.jpg526F2412-BA94-431B-806A-3D6A5E3A24EB.jpgC4CF27CE-BEBE-45B8-9B3E-D156D38991F6.jpgFD2BB550-F8BF-4A1F-8D1C-C992AF835746.jpg

Attachments

• B24219C5-C1D4-446B-ABC3-4481DFCFABEC.jpg
    B24219C5-C1D4-446B-ABC3-4481DFCFABEC.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 75

Nightshifter

If we go it will be at the last minute. I don’t think I will have everything back together by then but it is possible.