Desperate - Shower Modification Big Horn 3970RD

My husband and I own a 2016 Big Horn 3970RD and love it. However, we have a a problem. Our son, who is a double amputee, is having a lot of trouble using the shower because of the built-in seat . His “stumps” are longer so he doesn’t have enough room to maneuver since he has to sit in the shower floor instead of standing. We are staying in our camper right now while building a house and need to get this fixed as soon as possible. Is there any way to put a different shower insert in our Big Horn that doesn’t have the built in seat? I fear if there is not we may have to sell the camper and try to find a different one that would better accommodate his special needs. We love this fifth wheel and would love to keep it if Heartland is able to modify this for us. Any help you can give us would be much appreciated.

Gary and Crystal Morrison

lynndiwagoner

I wonder if you could cut out the old enclosure and have a person to build a conventional shower in the space. Might add some weight but probably ok. It’s not that hard....

hoefler

Find an Onyx dealer. You can have a custom shower built to fit the alotted space. Easy to install, I have done several, not in an RV yet, but simple to do. You can PM me if you need more info.

esscobra

im pretty sure the showers are some form of plastic or fiberglass-( after seeing material while adding sliding bar ) pretty sure check with local rebath or bathroom remodeler- they could easily cut out the seat area and add back as regular no seat or make seat bigger if that would work- Have you thought about buying a kit to add a seat and modifying it to work making seat bigger - say if I has 4 legs -cut off 2 of same side and set that end on current small seat so you have a bench? you could also check wit some autobody shops or if you have a larger airport near you check around to see if any local shops do airplane upgrades/refinishing- toe guys can build anything , and use fiberglass/plastics to build everything and can paint so you would never know it was modified