Traveling from Las Vegas to daytona

When going through flagstaff and New Mexico should I up the air pressures in the tires before leaving after an overnight stop in freezing temps and should I run the furnace at like 50-55 while driving? Tires will be at 110 leaving lv but it’s 55-65 degrees when we leave and I’m worried about the fresh water and holding tanks when we stop for the night at a truck stop or wal mart along the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Max tire pressure is max tire pressure. I do not understand what you are hoping to accomplish or avoid by increasing the pressure. I think running down the road with the heat on would be a personal preference. If you are concerned with your tanks freezing over that stretch of road, you may be better served to run with the tanks empty and stay at an rv park.

mlpeloquin

The question of tire pressure should be "How much air pressure is required for the weight that is on them?". If you require 95psi or 100psi by weight and have 110psi your good to go. When it gets colder and the pressure in the tires gets lower, so long as it is above the minimum required by weight, you are still good to go. When you get to warmer temps, you still should be ok so long as it itn't over 110psi. I found when going into high altitude the pressure increases slightly. With cold temps it decreases. Depending on the temperature difference it most likely will not be a wash. I set my tires at 105psi. So long as the the change with air temp and altitude doesn't go under 100psi or over 110psi, i am good to go. I require by maximum weight 95psi. I have been weighed twice fully loaded at rallies. That is 90psi plus 5psi to make sure for some margin and I added ten to that for 105psi. I have found that I do not have to adjust the air in the tires very often and have a tire pressure monitor system.

Made it to and from. Day 10 camping a rubber valve stem let go with a cold pressure of 108. Got it replaced and headed home on Monday. 2 hours from Daytona another valve stem let go. Found sun tire in northern fL and has steel valve stems installed. Ran 102 PSI (78 degrees F) to Jackson MS with no issues. Morning temps in Jackson were in the 40s and PSI was at 96. Added air to 102 and made Albuquerque with a low of 20f. PSI was at 95 so we headed home. Once on the road the PSI went back to 110-115 hot all the way home. So I guess adding air in colder temps wasn’t really needed but it worked out if I added air or not. Was a great trip. Now I need a seat cushion. 800-1000 miles a day puts a strain on the buttocks and back

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Who put rubber stems on a 110 psi tire/wheel?

Big O used the stems that came on the wheel with the Towmax tires when I put the Sailun tires on. Said they were “high pressure” stems. Live and learn I guess

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Made it to and from. Day 10 camping a rubber valve stem let go with a cold pressure of 108. Got it replaced and headed home on Monday. 2 hours from Daytona another valve stem let go. Found sun tire in northern fL and has steel valve stems installed. Ran 102 PSI (78 degrees F) to Jackson MS with no issues. Morning temps in Jackson were in the 40s and PSI was at 96. Added air to 102 and made Albuquerque with a low of 20f. PSI was at 95 so we headed home. Once on the road the PSI went back to 110-115 hot all the way home. So I guess adding air in colder temps wasn’t really needed but it worked out if I added air or not. Was a great trip. Now I need a seat cushion. 800-1000 miles a day puts a strain on the buttocks and back

What are you trying to accomplish with all of your air pressure adjustments? I am very proactive with checking my pressures but never had to add air in the middle of a trip.

What are you trying to accomplish with all of your air pressure adjustments? I am very proactive with checking my pressures but never had to add air in the middle of a trip.

Since we went from 102psi in 60-80 degree temps to below freezing temps I was curious if I needed to add air before leaving and traveling in colder temps as we made our way across the country. Having issues with the towmax tires has me paranoid.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Since we went from 102psi in 60-80 degree temps to below freezing temps I was curious if I needed to add air before leaving and traveling in colder temps as we made our way across the country. Having issues with the towmax tires has me paranoid.

I think you may be right. We have Sailuns on our rig. Last year when we left CO in 22 degree weather I set the tire pressures at 105, went to Phoenix for three months, and left there in 80 degree weather. Pressures were all the same.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Big O used the stems that came on the wheel with the Towmax tires when I put the Sailun tires on. Said they were “high pressure” stems. Live and learn I guess

That begs the second question. If you went from BlowMax to Sailun G-rated tires, are your rims rated for the higher pressure? Sounds like your tire dealer wouldn’t know the answer to that one, either.

That begs the second question. If you went from BlowMax to Sailun G-rated tires, are your rims rated for the higher pressure? Sounds like your tire dealer wouldn’t know the answer to that one, either.

The factory rims were stamped 110 on the back side of the rim and from what I have read prior to going to G rated tires these rims should be fine.

Here is the topic about the tires and rims

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/69137-Towmax-Tires?highlight=

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk