ATF: Bighorn - Receiver Hitch

Harry1

Not sure what happened to my last post so I'll ask the question again. While attending the RV Show last week in Tampa Florida, I noticed that Keystone Montana's have a 2 inch receiver hitch on the back for bike racks etc. that are rated at 300 lbs. Will Heartland start offering a 2 inch hitch receiver in the near future? In the past I have contacted several bike rack manufactures and they do not offer any bike rack that has been RV certified to be carried behind a fifth wheel/motorhome etc. with a 1 1/4 inch receiver. According to the manufactures, RV bike racks carried behind a fifth wheel should be 2 inch. Heartland receivers are rated at 150 lbs. and are 1 1/4 inch. Numerous post through the owners club show numerous questions and concerning about what to do for carrying bikes. I happen to be one of the unfortunates that carried 2 bicycles weighing 33 lbs each using a bike rack with a 1 1/4 inch to fit my Bighorn and lost them on the highway last year as the bike rack broke off at the hitch. Why offer a hitch that creates a danger if used for it's intended use? Is the frame that weak that it cannot support a 2 inch hitch for carrying 2 bikes? Other manufactures are offering 2 inch...

Harry1

CDN. I also have the exact same setup as you have now. I also put on a 2 inch hitch (pitching the 1 1/4" hitch from Heartland) and purchased the same 2" Swagman bike rack you have. I did this last summer after losing both of our bikes on the highway.
However; We should not have to modify our rigs to safely carry bikes. That's why I asked the question to the factory to address. If Montana's have a 2 inch hitch what's wrong with Heartland? Thanks for your response CDN.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
You need to remember that the receiver hitch is an option and I opted not to have it on my 2016 Big Horn when I bought it. The dealer had two on there lot, one with and one without the hitch. Of course it's up to the dealer what they order from the Mfg.

I am facing the same problem right now as i try to get ready for the 2018 camping season here in Missouri.
Just cant make myself order the 1.25 inch but dont know where to find a 2"..
Any help would be appreciated.
We have a 3270RS Big Horn.

Mark & Peggy Turnbough #3654
2017 BigHorn 3270RS
2016 Ford F-250, King Ranch
6.7 Diesel
Air Lift Ultimate 5000 Air Bags
Line X Bed Liner

First Rally This June In Michigan

IMG_2942.jpg

NYSUPstater

On our old coach '06 Cedar Creek Silverback which had the typical 4" square bumper. I mounted a 4 place bike rack to it and all the while we owned the coach, she never came loose or bent or nothing even w/ my LA (lard azz) bouncing on it. The few times we had bikes on it, they never budged. Came in handy tho while traversing the roof ladder.

Harry1

PastorMarkAG
With you Bighorn RV, I would strongly recommend that you do not use the 1 1/4" hitch that Heartland offers as an option. They only offer 1 1/4 inch regardless if your rig is a Bighorn or Landmark. Dealers do whatever dealers do to make you happy at the time of purchase. They may offer a 2 inch from the dealer to get the sale but Heartland will tell you it voids the warranty. I had the same issue your facing with what to do. Some folks carry their bikes inside, some in the basement, some in the truck and some fab racks and carry them above the 5th wheel hitch. Heartland really needs to address this issue for customers as there are a lot of us that carry bicycles. If other RV manufactures can offer a 2 inch what is Heartland doing?
After losing both bikes on the highway and there are others that this has happened to as well, I would contact your local RV dealer and ask them for a welding fabrication shop near by that they sent issues to for repair. You can buy a universal 2 inch frame hitch from etrailer and have your fab shop install it or the fab shops can make you a 2 inch hitch receiver and bolt or weld it on. Remember though your doing it for bikes not pulling a boat or motorcycle. Swagman offers a 2 inch RV certified bike rack for 2 bikes that is very well made.
Again, this issue needs to be addressed by Heartland and it's frame manufacture...