Boiling Battery! Bad Battery or Bad Converter/Charger?

RFOneWatt

G'day All!

I just bought a new Heartland Sundance a few weeks ago. It has been plugged into AC since day one.

The day before yesterday I noticed that the converter fan was running pretty fast but assumed that since it was a newer trailer with a (likely) newer converter it was probably exercising the battery or something similar -- so I didn't pay much attention.

Last night I noticed a strong sulfur-like smell coming from the tongue of the trailer and saw that the battery was boiling so I unhooked the negative wire from the battery. It was dark and the battery was too hot to mess with so I just went on with my evening.

so... the question is.. bad battery (new lead acid deep cycle Interstate) or a bad charger?

The converter/distribution panel is a WF-8950.

I'm going to have to wait until the weekend to investigate further but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

-Tony

Attachments

• WFCO.8950.Converter.2018.Sundance - Copy.jpg
    WFCO.8950.Converter.2018.Sundance - Copy.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 52

CoveredWagon

G'day All!

I just bought a new Heartland Sundance a few weeks ago. It has been plugged into AC since day one.

The day before yesterday I noticed that the converter fan was running pretty fast but assumed that since it was a newer trailer with a (likely) newer converter it was probably exercising the battery or something similar -- so I didn't pay much attention.

Last night I noticed a strong sulfur-like smell coming from the tongue of the trailer and saw that the battery was boiling so I unhooked the negative wire from the battery. It was dark and the battery was too hot to mess with so I just went on with my evening.

so... the question is.. bad battery (new lead acid deep cycle Interstate) or a bad charger?

I'm going to have to wait until the weekend to investigate further but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

-Tony

Sounds to me like the converter is overcharging the battery.

richheck

Seasoned Member
It is fairly common for manufacturers to install single stage chargers in their products. I have found that it is only safe to leave multi-stage converter/chargers plugged in 24/7/365. I presently have a LM 365 with multi stage capabilities so I can leave it plugged in constantly. On my previous units I had to attach a timer to allow power to the coach for around 8 to 12 hours daily to guard from overcharging the batteries. I also check the water level in my batteries on a regular basis adding when needed.

Oregon_Camper

G'day All!
....The converter/distribution panel is a WF-8950.

Tony....just as an FYI, the WF-8950 is just your distribution panel. The converter is normally behind the distribution panel in TT's and has 110v power sent to it (20amp) from the distribution panel.

Here is a picture, in case that helps. The converter is circled in RED...the Distribution panel has a BLUE arrow pointing toward it. Disregard the other stuff for now.

Capture.jpg

carl.swoyer

G'day All!

Thanks!!!

-Tony
Quickest way to your answer is remove the battery and have it test at any auto parts store.
If the printout of the battery test shows the battery is good then I would suggest that the converter charger is bad.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

The battery is being over charged. That is why it is boiling. I do not think Heartland uses single stage chargers. Call Heartland with your vin number handy and ask about the converter. Your converter may be bad and by now it may have ruined the battery as well. You may have to open up your service bay in order to have access to the converter. You are under warranty so just bring your rig in for service. Go to an independent repair facility. Dealers are notorious for taking weeks to months to do repairs. Heartland works with independent RV repair shops for warranty work so long as the shop accepts the labor charges approved by Heartland. Call the repair shop and ask. If you do bring it into your dealer, let them know that you are in the loop with Heartland. That way they cannot blame Heartland for lack of response or approval for the service work.

porthole

Retired

Could be either.

A bad converter (not as likely) could potentially be in full output mode and over charge the battery.

A bad battery (most likely, even if fairly new), a bad battery with even one bad cell could cause the converter to go into full charge mode. Battery cells are in series (there are 6 cells in a 12 volt battery) and a bad or low cell will draw from the higher charged cells, with the converter trying to compensate by raising the charge voltage.