Using 50 amp coach on 30 amp service - pros and cons

Army1990

what are the pros and cons regarding hooking up a 50amp to a 30amp? we have a state park that only offers 30 amp service. will this hook up cause any damage to out RV?

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

You will need to use an adapter to connect your 50 amp coach to a 30 amp shore power pedestal. The wire versions are commonly referred to as dog-bone adapters.
dog-bone.jpeg

On 30 amp service, you'll be limited to what AC powered items you can use in your coach "at the same time". For many, this isn't much of a limitation. If you need to use 2 roof ACs, consider switching your water heater to propane.

Army1990

You will need to use an adapter to connect your 50 amp coach to a 30 amp shore power pedestal. The wire versions are commonly referred to as dog-bone adapters.
View attachment 56403

On 30 amp service, you'll be limited to what AC powered items you can use in your coach "at the same time". For many, this isn't much of a limitation. If you need to use 2 roof ACs, consider switching your water heater to propane.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTPockets

what are the pros and cons regarding hooking up a 50amp to a 30amp? we have a state park that only offers 30 amp service. will this hook up cause any damage to out RV?
THe worst that can happen if you overload is a popped circuit breaker. Just reduce the load and reset the breaker.

'Lil Guy'

You do what you have to do. We've used 30 amp a few times and like stated earlier, switch water heater to propane, leave refer on propane, and use 1 AC if 15000 series. It'll work fine. Little things like running a hair dryer, microwave, etc at same time could trip it. Won't hurt your rig a bit. Enjoy those state parks if you can fit in.

CoveredWagon

Only use 1 ac at a time. Be careful about using the microwave and the ac at the same time. May work! May pop a breaker. Should damage nothing.

MCTalley

One fact that's easy to overlook, or not even know, is that RV 50 Amp service is 50 amps at 240 volts. 30 Amp service is 30 amps at 120 volts. Put more simply, at 120 volts the 50 Amp hookup can deliver 100 total amps while the 30 amp hookup can deliver 30 total amps. So running on 30 amp service means you have about 30% of your capacity available (not 60%).

As others have mentioned, just choose what is using power wisely and you'll be fine. Worse case, you trip the breaker on the pedestal.

avvidclif

Explain that to my wife. Our previous RV had 2 AC's. Camping at State Park w/30A only. She had both AC's running. Breaker never tripped but when we left the plug had melted on the end of the power cord. Had to cut it off and replace it.

MCTalley

Explain that to my wife. Our previous RV had 2 AC's. Camping at State Park w/30A only. She had both AC's running. Breaker never tripped but when we left the plug had melted on the end of the power cord. Had to cut it off and replace it.

It's possible to run two A/Cs on 30 amps, if they aren't starting up at the same time. Once the compressor is running steady, the A/C usually draws around 9-11 amps. It's the startup current that is the killer.

Sounds like in your case you had a weak connection in the plug that gave out before the breaker could trip. I've seen a few blackened and melted sockets on 30 amp pedestals before (and a few on the 50's).

wdk450

The biggest overall cause of shore power plugs getting blackened and melting is plugging and unplugging your shore plug to the park outlet with the shore outlet live (park side circuit breaker switch not turned off) . Plugging and unplugging with the power live causes electrical arc damage on the metal plug prongs, and on the hidden outlet mating metal fingers. This repeated damage causes poor electrical connections which heat up under current draws, the heat further corrodes the metal connecting parts, until the outlet and plug fails. Your good plug can even be damaged by the residual corrosion left from others inside the park outlet.

I take the extra steps of turning off my trailer power at the inside mains circuit breaker box before disconnecting or connecting shore power. I also spray the plug and outlet with Caig Cramolyn DeOxIt electrical contact restorer/cleaner spray before plugging in. I will also plug-unplug about 10 times to rub the contact metals together for a better connection. I then turn on the park breaker switch and my inside breakers mains switch.

mlpeloquin

Thanks to advice from Bill, I too use Caig Cramolyn DeOxIt electrical contact restorer/cleaner spray. If you ever sprayed a connector contacts that has a good oxide buildup on them, you would be surprised just how fast it works. I also spray my RV connector and socket twice a year as well.