Production dates for the Bighorn 3950 FL ?

rnewk52

Does anyone know when the BH 3950 FL is scheduled to go into production? This floor plan looks very appealing to us.
Thanks for any info that is available.

T

TomMontague

Re: Bh 3950 fl

Does anyone know when the BH 3950 FL is scheduled to go into production? This floor plan looks very appealing to us.
Thanks for any info that is available.

We are currently working on the design. Landmark version is coming offline soon and we are waiting so we can actually walk the unit and plan to make any improvements or modifications based on what we see. My guess is approximately 60 days our first FL will roll offline. It might be sooner but just to be safe that’s what I would say.

I’m worried about there being zero storage in the kitchen with the 1/2 bath. I almost think it would be better to put a huge pantry in that spot and have only one bath.

Thoughts?

Talk soon,
Tom Montague

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

We are currently working on the design. Landmark version is coming offline soon and we are waiting so we can actually walk the unit and plan to make any improvements or modifications based on what we see. My guess is approximately 60 days our first FL will roll offline. It might be sooner but just to be safe that’s what I would say.

I’m worried about there being zero storage in the kitchen with the 1/2 bath. I almost think it would be better to put a huge pantry in that spot and have only one bath.

Thoughts?

Talk soon,
Tom Montague

I personally feel that a pantry would be more desirable. It's a fifth wheel. One bathroom is the dominant model that I see here on the Navy base in Keywest Fl. Some folks that do have bathroom and a half state they would rather have a pantry. At least you can make it an option.
And frosted glass with back lighting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mlpeloquin

Our 3010RE Big Horn is the first fifth wheel we have owned. We have had opportunities, such as at Quartzsite Arizona, to go through several other brands and some Heartland's as well. The first thing we look at is the kitchen layout and storage. Most would not interest us do to limited storage for food and pans. We are only talking about four pans! If we can see the kitchen from the door and it doesn't have much storage, we don't go in. It amazes us how the designers cannot fathom how food and pan storage cannot be important. Pantry over a second bathroom would be better.

MP_CS

Thoughts?

Talk soon,
Tom Montague

Yes! I’m not a fan of the half bath. Storage is vital.

SNOKING

Another thing to watch is carrying capacity. Bighorn's as they get larger loose carrying capacity.

Take the 3970
GVWR
16,000 lbs​

Dry Weight
14,300 lbs​

Hitch Weight
2,905 lbs​

Carry Capacity
1,902 lbs

Then Look at our 3575el
GVWR
16,000 lbs​

Dry Weight
13,050 lbs​

Hitch Weight
2,435 lbs

Same 16K GVWR with 1250 pound higher dry weight. So have around 3K carrying capacity(which we use almost all of) and the larger trailer has 1902 lbs, and would be very easy to overload. Or looked at the other direction it would be very hard to not overload it.

Chris

kowAlski631

Thoughts?

Talk soon,
Tom Montague

One of the biggest reasons we chose our BH is the abundance of storage space for food, pots, pans, dishes, implements, appliances, etc. If you cut back on the space, you'll lose a lot of people. Everyone who has visited our rig, especially the SOB owners, have been amazed at the amount of storage - it's fabulous.

Martha

WBG

WBGavin

Thoughts?

Talk soon,
Tom Montague

I'll agree with most of the others. Storage is far, far more important than a second half bath. One of the things that I do not like about many of the new models is the lack of convenient storage. As far as I am concerned, our 3570 is the storage champ and we would have it no other way.

Right along with storage capacity is carrying capacity. You can have all the storage capacity in the world but is you only have 1,500 or so pounds of carrying capacity, you have a rig that will not serve you well at all.

What Heartland needs to do is better promote these advantages that they have versus the competition.

Heartland is by far the best out there!

WBG

carl.swoyer

Another thing to watch is carrying capacity. Bighorn's as they get larger loose carrying capacity.

Take the 3970
GVWR
16,000 lbs​

Dry Weight
14,300 lbs​

Hitch Weight
2,905 lbs​

Carry Capacity
1,902 lbs

Then Look at our 3575el
GVWR
16,000 lbs​

Dry Weight
13,050 lbs​

Hitch Weight
2,435 lbs

Same 16K GVWR with 1250 pound higher dry weight. So have around 3K carrying capacity(which we use almost all of) and the larger trailer has 1902 lbs, and would be very easy to overload. Or looked at the other direction it would be very hard to not overload it.

Chris
Another great observation.
If the empty weight keeps increasing the drive/tow vehicle needs to be up graded . More money. I'm personally not interested in all the extra expenses in upgrading to a new fifth wheel and to do so a new truck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bombdigger

I’m worried about there being zero storage in the kitchen with the 1/2 bath. I almost think it would be better to put a huge pantry in that spot an

We think it would be better to remove the extra bathroom for more storage, we like the pantry idea.
Two other questions:

Will a king bed be available?
what is the grayed out space on the left rear corner of the unit as you head into the bathroom?

thanks in advance, we look forward to learning more about the 3950FL

plumberg

I surely hope that you have made an option to make it a pantry or a half bath because I agree with you and everyone else that a pantry would be more useful than another bathroom. P.S. I had ordered a big horn traveler 39 FL with a washer/ dryer to be installed by the dealership, it came in to the dealership without washer dryer prep. So I refused delivery. Dealership said they had no idea they had stopped installing the washer dryer prep in that model. So now we are looking at the bighorn 3950 FL

GDorion

Currently in the market for a changeover from our current 2013 BH 3010RE. Since we’ve been so happy with the Heartland brand, we’ve been looking at 2019 BH models. The BH 3950 FL floor plan looks great for part time living, especially if there is a pantry option in place of the current half bath. Any news or update on this????
Am also wondering if there’s an option to change the standard king bed in the BH to a king tilt-a-bed, now standard in the Landmark?
We’ll be making the changeover within the next few months and are excited about the proposed mods which would make the current 3950FL floor plan even better for us.

T

TomMontague

Currently in the market for a changeover from our current 2013 BH 3010RE. Since we’ve been so happy with the Heartland brand, we’ve been looking at 2019 BH models. The BH 3950 FL floor plan looks great for part time living, especially if there is a pantry option in place of the current half bath. Any news or update on this????
Am also wondering if there’s an option to change the standard king bed in the BH to a king tilt-a-bed, now standard in the Landmark?
We’ll be making the changeover within the next few months and are excited about the proposed mods which would make the current 3950FL floor plan even better for us.

Thanks for the questions and the loyal following. We really appreciate it and are working hard to make Bighorn & Bighorn Traveler the best it can be.

The option to turn the 1/2 bath into a pantry exists. We haven’t done it yet but you have the option to do that if you would like.

The bed we cannot do. When I created the LM365 I put together a list of “exclusives” that Bighorn or anyone else at Heartland with a competing brand couldn’t use. This was put in place to ensure I could keep LM365 special & and upgrade from the Bighorn. The bed mech is now on that list and not available to me. I can tell you it comes from Mor-Ryde and would be something you could contact them about if you wanted to install after the purchase. I’m pretty sure you could do it yourself but if that’s not your thing, Mor-Ryde has installation bays for all sorts of things and they might be willing to do the bed for you.

If you have any additional questions I’ll do my best to answer.

Talk soon
Tom