Looking for water heater bypass lever

Big-B

Hello,

Like the title states, I am looking for a new lever for the water heater bypass valve. The one on our Bighorn is a red lever and it turns 90 degrees. Earlier this winter when we got to warmer weather I turned the valve and didn't get any hot water into the heater. I pulled the lever off and found that the square inside of the lever was rounded out. I got the heater un-bypassed but will need a new lever to winterize it this fall.

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy a new lever?

Thanks,
Brian

Big-B

Wow. Thanks for the quick response. I googled JR products and found the website for the manufacturer. They showed just a handle but no information on buying one.

So I put the part # into amazon and came up with a handle for $7.80 with free shipping, about 10% of the cost of the complete valve. Part is on order.

Thanks again for the help.

Gary521

Just to clarify a bit, JR Products is not a manufacturer but a distributor. You can still find what you may need there but no manufacturer.

dmreece

I ordered one for my 2013 Bighorn last December directly from Heartland (~$47 + shipping + tax). They sent me a picture first to verify part. They asked for a credit card when ready to ship. Point of Contact was Kendra Brovont at kendra.brovont@heartlandrvs.com 877-262-8032. Part was exactly as original.

David Reece
2013 Bighorn
2014 Ford F250
SuperGlide 1600 hitch

eddylives

Change out the cheap plastic fittings with shark bite fittings.
Easy to install and better quality valves.

212Pilot

I had the valve body crack and was able to make a temporary repair with epoxy for plastic. Now I am in the middle of upgrading the anderson valve to one the has the bypass built in. I will post more later on this project.

RBK

I have the same situation needing a valve lever, except in my case I need both levers as they were missing when I picked up the Big Horn.
I ordered and received levers via Amazon but found they were incorrect. I believe those handles were made to attach to plastic valves whereas my valves are brass. The centre of the brass valves where the handle attaches is a square and would therefore require the handle to have a corresponding square hole. So far I have been unable handles. I hope some one can help.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Concerning JR Products, I have located the information for several items on their website, highlighted the part name and then done a search with it. That’s how I find it on eBay or Amazon, et.al.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big-B

I had the valve body crack and was able to make a temporary repair with epoxy for plastic. Now I am in the middle of upgrading the anderson valve to one the has the bypass built in. I will post more later on this project.

Hi 212 pilot. Did you have any luck upgrading your valve?

ronbro

Have same problem on my 2011 Bighorn 3610RE
Hate to have to replace complete Water Heater bypass valve assembly ($90can at a local RV dealership) because of a $2 lever.
Found complete assembly on JR Products page DVW-1-A for $126.95us
Can find parts#'s anywhere for just the lever. may need 2 as they seem quite brittle.
Ronald

Jv75353

Have same problem on my 2011 Bighorn 3610RE
Hate to have to replace complete Water Heater bypass valve assembly ($90can at a local RV dealership) because of a $2 lever.
Found complete assembly on JR Products page DVW-1-A for $126.95us
Can find parts#'s anywhere for just the lever. may need 2 as they seem quite brittle.
Ronald
What size is the square? Valtra makes aluminum crank handles with various square holes. Similar parts can be found fro McMaster Carr or Grainger.

Big-B

I looked at the brass valve and it is a rectangle. I haven't measured it but maybe a little under 1/4" by a little over 1/4". One of mine is shot and the other is on borrowed time. I'm thinking about seeing if someone can 3D print them out of something stronger. If anybody comes up with a better answer than replacing the entire valve I'm all ears.