2018 Elkridge 40FLFS Water Heater

JamesL73

Probably same issue as most others, I'm not getting hot water. I checked the outside shower and sure enough, both valves were open so I closed them but still no hot water after 24 hours. I suppose now I need to check the bypass valve/s? But unsure of where to access all of that plumbing and back side of water heater. Is it the carpeted panel which is screwed in, next to the UDC ?? I realize this is a new model but I assume basically the same as others, The HWH is still the Suburban SW12DEL. I am in a park and am the only person in it so am trying to run on propane only. I have not even tried the electric side yet. Any help would be much appreciated. TIA

danemayer

Hi JamesL73,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Sounds like the trailer may not have been de-winterized, so the water heater bypass valves are a good bet.

I'm not familiar with the Elkridge layout, but if the water heater is just to the rear of the pass through basement storage, you would take out the screws holding the rear wall of the pass through storage on the side with the water heater. You'll probably find 3 valves: one on the cold water tubing going into the water heater, one on the hot water line coming out, and one on a crossover line that connects the hot and cold.

To dewinterize, the hot and cold valves need to be open (aligned with the tubing) and the crossover needs to be closed.

'Lil Guy'

If you pull the outside cover, isn't their a reset switch or button there. Seems like that was an issue we found on Don's rig. I'm old and it might have been on another appliance. I'm ready to stand corrected.lol

JamesL73

Well, I pulled the basement wall and checked the valves, they were all in the correct position. I still have no hot water, not even from the valve on the water heater. So, somehow, somewhere, something isn’t working. I’m at a loss. Being a brand new RV, I wouldn’t think it would be a bad water heater but I suppose anything is possible. I’m trying the electric side now just to see if it heats it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesL73

If you pull the outside cover, isn't their a reset switch or button there. Seems like that was an issue we found on Don's rig. I'm old and it might have been on another appliance. I'm ready to stand corrected.lol

Yes there’s two but they are both still in.

danemayer

Well, I pulled the basement wall and checked the valves, they were all in the correct position. I still have no hot water, not even from the valve on the water heater. So, somehow, somewhere, something isn’t working. I’m at a loss. Being a brand new RV, I wouldn’t think it would be a bad water heater but I suppose anything is possible. I’m trying the electric side now just to see if it heats it up.

While on propane, did the burner ever ignite? Standing outside, next to the water heater, you should be able to hear it when the burner is on.

JamesL73

While on propane, did the burner ever ignite? Standing outside, next to the water heater, you should be able to hear it when the burner is on.

I’ve never heard or seen it burning however, I see burnt flakes from where it has burned under the new metal at some point. I suppose it could have been at the dealer.

JamesL73

Ok. I think I’ve got it working now. I finally found in the manual where it says the initial ignition may need to cycle a few times to purge all the air from the lines. So I shut everything off , for the 4th time, including the gas, then turned the gas back on, then the power. I ran back out to watch it. I heard the ignitor clicking but didn’t light right away. So like a dummy, I leaned in to smell for gas......WHOOMFF. It fired up! LMAO It scared me for a second, had to make sure I still had my eyebrows. Haha
Anyway, it apparently had quite a lot of air to purge but it’s burning good now. Thanks for your time and ideas. I’m sure I’ll have more issues later with this brand new rig.