Garage Ramp Assist Springs not working

Is there a way to adjust or change out the assist springs on the ramp? They do not do much and it is quite a chore to open/close it. Any other solutions you have found?

Thanks!

Lynn1130

Are you talking about the springs on the bottom of the door? If so the entire spring and bushing area around it needs to be lubed every so often. I use silicone spray.

Are you talking about the springs on the bottom of the door? If so the entire spring and bushing area around it needs to be lubed every so often. I use silicone spray.

Yes, that is what I am talking about. Hubby says he does lube them, but they just don't really assist.

danemayer

Could be the door getting heavier, rather than the springs getting weaker. Several people over a period of years have had water intrusion where the wood inside the ramp soaked up the water, adding weight and weakening the ramp.

Could be the door getting heavier, rather than the springs getting weaker. Several people over a period of years have had water intrusion where the wood inside the ramp soaked up the water, adding weight and weakening the ramp.

We got it used a year ago so it could be. Hubby sealed all the seams & screws, but it could have already been damaged.

- - - Updated - - -

Knowing what year and model would help some.

2014 4000. New to us about a year ago. Ramp assist has never helped.

avvidclif

Do you have all the fencing for the patio installed? Mine works fine once all of that was removed. As for not working, if you can raise and lower it it's working. That ramp is abt 400 lbs and without the assist I doubt you could raise or lower it safely. It could have broken springs also.

porthole

Retired
These ramps fail from water intrusion, although there is not much in materials to absorb water and make the ramp too heavy. Most of the ramp is aluminum framing and 2" styrofoam with some thin sheets of luan.

The springs can lose some of their "spring" as well, especially if the ramp is left down a lot.

When the springs are matched to the ramp, you should easily be able to lift the ramp from full open. When our springs (and ramp) were new, the ramp would float about 6" off the ground.

This thread has some ramp woes, as well as pictures that are being corralled by photosucket. Guess I'll have to try and rebuild the pictures :mad:

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...g-ramp-failure?p=503526&viewfull=1#post503526

And this particular post has some spring replacement info.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...g-ramp-failure?p=512382&viewfull=1#post512382

Flooringit

I have a 4000 year 2014. No problems. But I also don’t have the patio set. Only thing. One does wrong is not completely shut top left corner. All I do is stick a small painter stick under the latch when I close it. Pushes the door shut. I think that king bracket need to be bent in some and that is the problem. Not the door

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 4000 year 2014. No problems. But I also don’t have the patio set. Only thing. One does wrong is not completely shut top left corner. All I do is stick a small painter stick under the latch when I close it. Pushes the door shut. I think that king bracket need to be bent in some and that is the problem. Not the door

- - - Updated - - -

We do have the patio set and I know that adds some weight. I will look at the king bracket and see what I see. I think our door shuts OK.