National Interstate not renewing policies--options

ksucats

Hmmm - this then begs the question of whether Safeco is a company that Liberty Mutual works with (or owns) or is National Interstate spreading the accounts out. I was told by Explorer agent that NI was going with Safeco. I spoke with Safeco at their national number and was told they were the company. Guess I'll just have to wait until I get my letter(s).

B

BouseBill

Well......not good news. One hand does not know what the other hand is doing! Went online and set up an account with SAFECO to set up an automatic payment schedule for our insurance. Noticed none of the corrections had been made which our agent at Americas Mailbox assured me would show up in 24 hours. The F-450 was listed as a motor home and not a pickup, no personal liability, fulltimer's insurance NOPE, I called SAFECO and spoke with one of their agents and SHOCK OF SHOCK, after discussing our needs and requirements for a new policy, the quote went from $1200 a year for the truck and 5er to over $2400 a year. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

So now we have a month to find a new insurance carrier for the vehicles and 5th wheel with full timer's coverage. Researching several different companies, we'll see what happens, but it won't be with SAFECO

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well......not good news. One hand does not know what the other hand is doing! Went online and set up an account with SAFECO to set up an automatic payment schedule for our insurance. Noticed none of the corrections had been made which our agent at Americas Mailbox assured me would show up in 24 hours. The F-450 was listed as a motor home and not a pickup, no personal liability, fulltimer's insurance NOPE, I called SAFECO and spoke with one of their agents and SHOCK OF SHOCK, after discussing our needs and requirements for a new policy, the quote went from $1200 a year for the truck and 5er to over $2400 a year. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

So now we have a month to find a new insurance carrier for the vehicles and 5th wheel with full timer's coverage. Researching several different companies, we'll see what happens, but it won't be with SAFECO

Have you tried progressive? We use them for our 5th wheel and are full timers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
Hmmm - this then begs the question of whether Safeco is a company that Liberty Mutual works with (or owns) or is National Interstate spreading the accounts out. I was told by Explorer agent that NI was going with Safeco. I spoke with Safeco at their national number and was told they were the company. Guess I'll just have to wait until I get my letter(s).

FYI...Liberty Mutual owns Safeco. They both sell the same product but Liberty is offered through captive agents and Safeco is offered through independent brokers. Find yourself a GOOD independent agent, tell them what you need and let them do the work for you. Many times the agent has better pricing than you could get online for the same policy.

ksucats

Well got my letter from National Interstate today. Says that I should receive a call and then paperwork from Safeco within the next 60 days -- my agent though remains the same. Interesting - will see what they offer when they call.

B

BouseBill

When SAFECO found out my F-450 was a pickup and not a motorhome, they upped the insurance $900 a year on the truck alone.
Ours turned in at almost 3K per year for the truck, 5th wheel and Ford Expedition which has liability only.
I called millerrvinsurance which another member recommended and for full replacement value on the 5er, F-450 full coverage and liability only on the Expedition, plus full-timers insurance came in at 2.2K 100/300 for the truck and full-timers, 10K personal items.
Our insurance went from 1.7K with National Interstate for all vehicles to 2.2K, a $500 per year increase.

ksucats

Got the 'renewal' policy in today's mail; Safeco went up to $4934 for the F450 and Trailer. Same thing - originally came across as F450 Motor Home at a little over 2K for both the truck and 5er; when we corrected the truck to a truck, what an increase. Have also checked with my primary Insurance Carrier (Farmers Insurance) and they want 2542 for six months of coverage :mad:. Just now checked with USAA and they came in at 3078 per year (256 / mo).

budman229

Our insurance came up for renewal in November. Found out that Travelers (our long time carrier) no longer would cover an F-450. Our agent looked around and nobody would cover it unless it was a commercial vehicle. We had previously changed our 5th wheel coverage to Good Sam (National General). Gave them a call. Now have the 2016 F-450, the 2017 Landmark and a 2013 Mercedes covered for $1,786 per year. Also changed our homeowners and excess liability coverage to them.

mlpeloquin

National General:

2013 GMC Denali Disel Dully
2013 Honda CRV
$1608.00

2014 Big Horn 3010RE
$394.76

This is San Jose, California where vehicle insurance has never been cheep, but National General save us over $1500.00 over AAA. AAA treats a trailer like a motor home and requires double coverage that National General says is covered by the truck while towing.

ksucats

Just spoke with National General - F450 and Landmark 365 -- just a few dollars under 8K for a year (7993.00). Nothing special added or low deductibles. :confused::confused::confused:

danemayer

Sounds like they're putting 450s into a commercial business pricing tier. You need to find a company that will classify it for personal use.

Terrip72

Good Afternoon,
Unfortunately? Fortunately? Not really sure at this point but hopefully some information can be used by our recent experience.

We went full time 3 years ago, to Gulf Coast Texas. We had a class A, insured through State Farm. We were directly impacted by Hurricane Harvey. State Farm did a great job with our claim. That being said, when we bought a new RV we went with a Big Country 3950FB. State Farm would no longer insure us because we went motor-less. I asked around to other full timers impacted by Harvey and predominately had great reviews for claims handling and speed with Progressive, so that's who we went with.

We also had to replace the motor ability in our new home. Found a great deal on an F-450, so we bought it. Called Progressive directly and they wouldn't insure it. UGH! I got a hold of the best insurance agent a girl could ask for. She said they don't let the 'call center' insure that large of a truck due the their high rate of turnover. She was able to insure our 5th Wheel, F-450 and Subaru all in one visit.

I highly recommend:
NCMIC Insurance
Danita Blessing
1-800-394-1466

Your welcome,
Terri Putney

ksucats

I want to thank everyone for their comments, suggestions and recommendations. We ended up going with GEICO for this coming year. Hopefully have made the right decision - guess time will tell. Again, thanks to you all for your assistance.

SDurbak

My husband and I are looking to buy a Landmark Arlington (like today!) and when we checked with our Allstate agent, the premium to insure the 5th wheel was $2200/year. We called Goodsam yesterday, and spoke with an obnoxious sarcastic agent who told us we had to either 1) insure both the truck and the 5th wheel with them, or 2) insure the truck as a commercial vehicle with another company and then they could insure the 5th wheel by itself. We though this sounded crazy. We are extremely reluctant to change our truck insurance from Allstate - we've been with them for 20 years, and a great relationship with our agent. And we are equally reluctant to insure the truck as a commercial vehicle due to the added costs, not only for the insurance but for the registration. Anyone have a great suggestion?

(I'm a brand new member here, so I hope I'm posting appropriately)

wdk450

My husband and I are looking to buy a Landmark Arlington (like today!) and when we checked with our Allstate agent, the premium to insure the 5th wheel was $2200/year. We called Goodsam yesterday, and spoke with an obnoxious sarcastic agent who told us we had to either 1) insure both the truck and the 5th wheel with them, or 2) insure the truck as a commercial vehicle with another company and then they could insure the 5th wheel by itself. We though this sounded crazy. We are extremely reluctant to change our truck insurance from Allstate - we've been with them for 20 years, and a great relationship with our agent. And we are equally reluctant to insure the truck as a commercial vehicle due to the added costs, not only for the insurance but for the registration. Anyone have a great suggestion?

Keep your Allstate for the truck, and call Progressive Insurance for the trailer. My yearly fulltime living coverage on my 2008 Bighorn is around $400.

LBR

It would help to know what tow rig you have for this discussion....do you have a 3 series LDT (pickup), or a 4 series or larger MDT (truck)?

SDurbak

It would help to know what tow rig you have for this discussion....do you have a 3 series LDT (pickup), or a 4 series or larger MDT (truck)?

The truck is a 2012 Ford F450 dually. But, sadly, it doesn't matter anymore. My husband backed out of purchasing the Arlington at the last minute after we drove 12 hours to the dealership. He said he's just not comfortable with pulling it since he's never pulled one before. We bought the truck specifically for this purpose. Everyone he's talked to has said pulling them is not difficult, but there's just no convincing him.

LBR

The truck is a 2012 Ford F450 dually. But, sadly, it doesn't matter anymore. My husband backed out of purchasing the Arlington at the last minute after we drove 12 hours to the dealership. He said he's just not comfortable with pulling it since he's never pulled one before. We bought the truck specifically for this purpose. Everyone he's talked to has said pulling them is not difficult, but there's just no convincing him.
Sorry to hear...

My suggestion is to either create a new account for him here, or let him use your username...either way, MAKE HIM GET ON HERE RELIGIOUSLY, and we will turn him around 180° so you can go RVing!

The F-450 and 5ver is not a problem for insurance.

We have National General (Good Sam) with a 2017 F-450, a 2017 4018 Cyclone, and a 2003 F-550.... all on the same insurance plan, full coverages @ $500 deductibles that I just renued for $1708 for this next year.

After we change your DH's fear of pulling, try another call to Good Sam for an agent that isn't on the "peck".....and hit the road!

ksucats

Here Here. Let him know that a 5th wheel is a much more stable pull than a travel trailer (bumper pool). A few things he'll need to learn about steering with it but it is easy enough and once you get the hang of it you'll wonder why the initial trepidation. You might check with some of the local RVers and see if they are willing to give some driving lessons using a bit shorter trailer. A coworker got a SOB last fall and I rode shotgun with him for a couple of hours as we did some highway driving, city driving, backing, etc. Best of luck - oh, you might ask him if he remembers his first time behind the wheel. I'm sure there was a little anxiety then as well but look at how easy it is now.

Kandy

We are in the same situation with our 2011 LM Augusta. Allied which is Nationwide is not covering anything longer than 36' in the state of NC. We expire 6/1/18. Called Progressive they quoted $718. Went online to Progressive they quoted $534??????

QUESTION: I'm confused as to whether to ask for Actual Cash Value or Agreed upon Value. The NADA is 31,250. Which one do I use?
Also, Do I get Vacation Liability and how much?

These policies have Roadside Assistance so is there any need to purchase extra? We have been with GS for several years but it's $200. I don't want to double cover.

Also, we are expiring on Extended Warranty. Existing company, ExtraRide, will cover us for 2 years for $2600. Is this high for a 2011 Augusta with lots of extras?

LOTS TO DO IN LESS THAN A MONTH!!!!!!:(:(:(:(

Thanks.