Shoreline Power Cord Reel Replacement

jbeletti

SUMMARY
My Shoreline power cord reel broke and I replaced it.

BACKGROUND
I've had 8 Landmarks since 2005. The last 7 have had Shoreline power cord reel. Love it! However, the Shoreline reel used in my current coach is a bit different than the last 6.

ISSUE
My reel broke :( I had it repaired and the repair didn't hold. I spoke to a technical customer service rep from Southwire, parent of TRC, parent of Shoreline. They told me that it's likely one or more of the 6 pins used to engage the reel hub are out of place. They suggested I attempt a repair, replace the pins and epoxy them in.

PLAN
I decided I'd rather replace the reel than repair it as it had been repaired by an independent RV service center once and didn't hold. I had Heartland send me one. Today, Kevin W and Don S helped me replace it.

The Heartland Service Center suggested that I remove the j-wrap in that area to expose the reel and replace it. Removing the j-wrap on a full-body painted coach will damage paint in a few areas and I didn't want to do that. My plan was to use sheet metal shears to cut the j-wrap out below the reel (the j-wrap in this area returns all the way to the frame). Then we'd drop the broken reel down and raise the new one in.

RESOLUTION
Instead of cutting the j-wrap bottom out, Kevin W and I loosened the j-wrap and bent it down and out of the way enough to get tools up in there to remove the 4 bolts holding the reel to the frame. Kevin and Don did the removing. It didn't look fun. I assisted by disconnecting the power from the end of the reel.

We slipped the new reel into place, I connected the power to the reel and we struggled to get tools in there to fasten the new reel onto the frame. But we got it done!

I rewired the reel motor power and switch, Kevin and I tested the new reel, then refastened the j-wrap. Done deal!

It took about 2.5 hours in total.

ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS
Good question. I opened up the end of the cord reel to see if we could determine the failure. I found 2 things out of place.
1. The chain was off the large sprocket
2. Upon removing the cover holding the large sprocket in place, we found that 1 of the 6 engagement pins was missing (not to be found)

My sense is that this missing pin and others fell out and that's what was repaired by the independent service center. With the 6th pin missing, this may have been contributory to my most recent failure.

I was able to put the chain back on and run the motor but the chain would come back off. I could tell force was being applied to the large sprocket from improper alignment but could not tell what was out of alignment. Thus, the replacement was done.

After getting the broken reel out, another Heartlander, Frank B, looked at it and determined that the shaft for the larger sprocket was out further than the smaller motor sprocket - this the misalignment. He made an adjustment to it to get it back into alignment. Later, we applied DC power to it to test it and we were able to get it to roll up. So I guess the issue was sprocket alignment due to motor shaft movement. The guys felt that the snap ring on the motor shaft was mis-positioned (for causes unknown).

PICTURES
My bandwidth at this campground is minimal, so rather than adding pics now, I will add this link to my online image host where the pictures are stored.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I will likely be using your information for removal when we get home from our winter trip as my reel has been acting up. Intermittent power. I think there are dead spots on the reel contacts, so it will be repair or replacement.
And why do you keep saying "we" when only two are doing the work and you're not one of them??? :)

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

jimtoo

They required supervision :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I agree with him, because I also stopped by for a few minutes to help with supervision, but I only helped for a few minutes due to the fact that they could not afford both of us.

Jim M

Oregon_Camper

** Quick Soap Box Input ***

Jim...have you brought this up with Heartland? I know you have Heartland to back you up when things go wrong, but the rest of us are on our own...and probably out of warranty.

Having the system designed and installed in a such a fashion that it is almost out of the realm of a typical RV own to replace is frustrating. While my power cord reel has never had an issue, I just cringe when I read about the issues you faced with the repair. It shouldn't be constructed, so it is that difficult to replace....especially if we have FBP and are not willing to damage that paint, in order to make repairs.

** Off Soap Box **

Glad you got it fixed...I can only imagine the PITA it was while not working.

jbeletti

** Quick Soap Box Input ***

Jim...have you brought this up with Heartland? I know you have Heartland to back you up when things go wrong, but the rest of us are on our own...and probably out of warranty.

Having the system designed and installed in a such a fashion that it is almost out of the realm of a typical RV own to replace is frustrating. While my power cord reel has never had an issue, I just cringe when I read about the issues you faced with the repair. It shouldn't be constructed, so it is that difficult to replace....especially if we have FBP and are not willing to damage that paint, in order to make repairs.

** Off Soap Box **

Glad you got it fixed...I can only imagine the PITA it was while not working.

Hi Jim - yes, Heartland is aware of my issue as they sent me the replacement.

Not sure what you have in mind in terms of what Heartland can/should do to improve in this area. The only thing that comes to mind to me is to find an alternate manufacture. For many reasons, it's always nice to not be single sourced. Unfortunately, for some items, there aren't viable additional sources. I can't say that's the case for this item but I'm unaware of another. That said, with at least 5,000 of these installed by Heartland annually, I think the failure rate of them is extremely low.

As to a possible alternate method of installing the reel to make replacement easier, not sure what could be done there. This unit is deep and needs to be mounted on the frame. It could be mounted inside a cabinet or storage bay but then the location would vary across floor plans.

The pain in the butt part was really the way the j-wrap returns all the way to the I-beam frame. This is done to protect the reel and electrical connections (AC and DC) from road debris. If certainly could be done with regular depth j-wrap and forgo the added protection and be MUCH easier to replace.

If Duane C sees this, perhaps he can give some feedback on his self-install. Unsure if he protected the bottom of the reel but if not, be nice to hear how the unit has performed.

porthole

Retired
Not sure what you have in mind in terms of what Heartland can/should do to improve in this area. The only thing that comes to mind to me is to find an alternate manufacture. For many reasons, it's always nice to not be single sourced. Unfortunately, for some items, there aren't viable additional sources. I can't say that's the case for this item but I'm unaware of another. That said, with at least 5,000 of these installed by Heartland annually, I think the failure rate of them is extremely low.

If Duane C sees this, perhaps he can give some feedback on his self-install. Unsure if he protected the bottom of the reel but if not, be nice to hear how the unit has performed.

"If" :cool:

My guess - TDI has sourced a new manufacturer at a lesser cost. There have been relatively so few problems with this reel it was only a matter of time before they cheapened the cost. All the big manufacturers offer this as an option.

Does the J-wrap now go to the frame the full length on Landmarks or is it just at the reel location?
That was something I always thought the Cyclones had over the other rigs, our J-wrap goes right to the frame web and is glued in place.

- - - Updated - - -

My reel, I finished it up right before the Nashville National Rally in 2010 and traveled about two months before building the enclosure.

Electric power cord reel add on

Electric power cord reel enclosure

Hope I don't jinx myself here, but other then occasionally jamming the cord in the the reel by not winding it back on smoothly, I have had no problems with the reel and it still remains one of my top two modifications I have done to the trailer.

jbeletti

Duane - to my knowledge, out of plant 2 (LM/BH/BC), the j-wrap returns all the way to the frame only when needed for a specific feature. Examples:
- Protect cord reel
- Create storage space for sewer items

On my LM, I think under the cord reel is the only place with the full-return j-wrap.

To Dan's point, in the drop frame area (below the storage bay) on my coach, the black (darco?) reinforced plastic material (think 'tarp') is used to protect storage bay framing (wood) that is outboard of the frame. Perhaps a similar measure could be considered to protect the cord reel. The plastic would be more easily entered and fairly easily repaired. This said, I think I'd prefer the sheet metal return.

RenoJim

Shoreline Power Cord Reel Repair

Howdy Jim,

A question for you regarding our Shoreline Reel. The motor is running but the cord reel is not engaging. Reviewing the Shoreline Troubleshooting info it sounds as if the chair has jumped off of the sprocket. I haven’t found anything on the Forum addressing how to make this repair. I’ve looked on YouTube but have found nothing there. Can you give me any input here to help?

Thanks in advance, look forward to seeing you and Nancy at the Pacific Region Rally.

jbeletti

Howdy Jim,

A question for you regarding our Shoreline Reel. The motor is running but the cord reel is not engaging. Reviewing the Shoreline Troubleshooting info it sounds as if the chair has jumped off of the sprocket. I haven’t found anything on the Forum addressing how to make this repair. I’ve looked on YouTube but have found nothing there. Can you give me any input here to help?

Thanks in advance, look forward to seeing you and Nancy at the Pacific Region Rally.

Jim - turns out that’s what was happening on my cord reel. I had a new one so we replaced it. Then Frank Baker noticed the sprockets were out of alignment. I think he tapped on the shaft of one of them to realign it. It’s sitting in my garage now. Sort of don’t trust it.

Anyway, remove the plastic end cap above the j-wrap to the left of the reel. Remove the plastic cover from the left end of the reel. Observe the chain and sprockets. Gently tap the shaft of the offending sprocket inward. Not saying that’s your issue, but it might be.

Call me Tuesday if you’d like to chat by phone.

RenoJim

Jim - turns out that’s what was happening on my cord reel. I had a new one so we replaced it. Then Frank Baker noticed the sprockets were out of alignment. I think he tapped on the shaft of one of them to realign it. It’s sitting in my garage now. Sort of don’t trust it.

Anyway, remove the plastic end cap above the j-wrap to the left of the reel. Remove the plastic cover from the left end of the reel. Observe the chain and sprockets. Gently tap the shaft of the offending sprocket inward. Not saying that’s your issue, but it might be.

Call me Tuesday if you’d like to chat by phone.

Thanks Jim,

That gives me a place to start, appreciate the info and will update when I get to this project.

mlpeloquin

Duane - to my knowledge, out of plant 2 (LM/BH/BC), the j-wrap returns all the way to the frame only when needed for a specific feature. Examples:
- Protect cord reel
- Create storage space for sewer items

On my LM, I think under the cord reel is the only place with the full-return j-wrap.

To Dan's point, in the drop frame area (below the storage bay) on my coach, the black (darco?) reinforced plastic material (think 'tarp') is used to protect storage bay framing (wood) that is outboard of the frame. Perhaps a similar measure could be considered to protect the cord reel. The plastic would be more easily entered and fairly easily repaired. This said, I think I'd prefer the sheet metal return.

Jim, on my Big Horn the wrap goes all the way to the frame on both sides on the back end. Not just the power reel side. I know because I just replaced my passenger side because of my denting it. Don't ask.