Broken galley pipe

Sierra66

Our drain pipe that is coming from the galley, underneath the camper must have frozen and cracked over the last cold snap. Just this afternoon, I pulled it out of storage (back yard) and ran all the preliminary checks. Well I noticed it was leaking just before the external dump valve where it will begin to pool up.

The pipe says 1 1/2” but it black pipe, I need to replace a 3’ section and just need to know where I can get similar material. Not sure if Home Depot carries this type of pvc.

Suggestions welcome, thanks Heartland fam!

mlpeloquin

Our drain pipe that is coming from the galley, underneath the camper must have frozen and cracked over the last cold snap. Just this afternoon, I pulled it out of storage (back yard) and ran all the preliminary checks. Well I noticed it was leaking just before the external dump valve where it will begin to pool up.

The pipe says 1 1/2” but it black pipe, I need to replace a 3’ section and just need to know where I can get similar material. Not sure if Home Depot carries this type of pvc.

Any hardware store has black drain pipe and fittings including Home Depot. Make sure that you get the proper glue for it. Standard PVC pipe glue is not for the black drain pipe. You can cut it using a saw.

Next time you put it in storage for the winter, tilt the rig towards the drain and let it drain a long time. Bring a bucket, funnel and jugs to pour the contents into. You want to do this at the place of storage as to not allow water to get back into it while driving.

hoefler

You can also use the white SCH 40 pipe. it is the same demensions. You will have to use the univerasl glue, it will have a RED label.

Gary521

The black pipe is not PVC it is ABS. Yes, Home Depot carries this pipe. You need a different adhesive but Home Depot carries this too. There are different methods for splicing in a small section.

jbeletti

That's ABS pipe. Home Depot will have it.

hoefler

The black pipe is not PVC it is ABS. Yes, Home Depot carries this pipe. You need a different adhesive but Home Depot carries this too. There are different methods for splicing in a small section.

Yes the black pipe is ABS, Yes you can use PVC with the proper cement. They are both the same demensions, just different plastic. By using the Universal glue, they will glue together. No different than using CPVC with PVC.

Sierra66

So Home Depot around me does NOT carry ABS. Nor does a Ferguson..or Southern Pipe and Supply, the local hardware store, or Lowe’s for that matter. So I used PVC and universal sealer. Painted it black and presto. Would never know. Of course I didn’t think to take any pics to share. Well, we’ll just put that in my book of “Ya done thats”.

Thanks all! Happy Camping.

mlpeloquin

Wow! I wonder if Georgia does not allow ABS drain pipe. It seems to be standard almost everywhere.

Update: Just looked it up. ABS pipe in places, is no longer allowed do to some problems with joints coming apart. Never had a problem, but I supposed if the proper adhesive isn't used it would be. As of 2007 up date the Georgia Plumbing Code did allow ABS. Cannot find a newer up date to Georgia's code, but maybe the reason that none of the hardware stores had ABS.