Full-time in a Gateway?

JandK

Hi folks. My husband and I are ​planning to fulltime later this year. We've been looking at the Landmark line but I like the Gateway mid room floor plan. Is anybody fulltiming in a Gateway?

TexasTraveler2017

We just bought a 2018 Gateway 3713ck because we loved their mid-bunk floorplan too. We are also going to be fulltiming with our 3 kids starting this summer. So far we have loved it with the few trips we’ve taken in it (got it last October). We are in Texas, but bought it from Lakeshore RV in Muskegon, MI because it was so much cheaper than here. To help with longevity since we will be putting so many miles on it, I stopped at the MORryde factory in Elkhart on my way home to Texas and had them install their Independent suspension with disc brakes. Some might think it was overkill, but I feel it will be money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JandK

May I ask what truck you are using? We are preparing to purchase a diesel dually. We live in PA now but will domicile in TX.

I like the u shaped kitchen but wonder if I can make it work without a pantry?

TexasTraveler2017

May I ask what truck you are using? We are preparing to purchase a diesel dually. We live in PA now but will domicile in TX.

I like the u shaped kitchen but wonder if I can make it work without a pantry?

I have a 2016 F-350 Dually. I got it 1 1/2 years before we found our full time rig (we had an older 5th wheel at first before we decided to go full time). I went with it because I didn’t know exactly what I would be hauling in the future and didn’t want to need more truck. Plus, with 5 of us in the cab, I wanted as much payload as possible. The dually gives me over 5000 lbs, so I should never have to worry about pin weight or cargo causing me to go over.

As for the pantry, or lack of, the cabinets above the sink and cooktop are a really good size. We will just likely add some sort of shelving to help make better use of that space. My wife loves the u-shaped kitchen and we both fell in love with the openness and how big the windows are.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Is the Gateway tagged for full time living for warranty purposes? We looked at one years ago and got an Oakmont instead. The difference between the Oakmont and our BC as far as being able to control the temp inside is astounding.

TexasTraveler2017

Is the Gateway tagged for full time living for warranty purposes? We looked at one years ago and got an Oakmont instead. The difference between the Oakmont and our BC as far as being able to control the temp inside is astounding.

No, the Gateway is not tagged for fulltiming living like Landmarks, Bighorn or Big Countries. For us we needed a bunkhouse and my wife was not a fan of the layout or decor of the Big Country mid bunk.

JandK

Thanks everyone for your info. I really like that u shaped kitchen in the Gateway, but I think I will need more kitchen cabinet space and a pantry if we are going to be living in it year round. And the fulltime warranty is important to us. I think we are finally making the decision to purchase a Landmark Oshkosh. It has the kitchen pantry and space I need, a great coat closet and entry storage. I also like the stairs on the other side of the coach, rather than right inside the door. I think we can still get to the bathroom while traveling even with the slide in, so that works.

What made you choose the Big Country rather than a Landmark? Simply cost factors or floorplan? We are trying to stay under 40 feet so that we can enter a good percentage of national parks with our rig. Once you go over 40 feet, the percentage goes way down.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We looked at a few Landmarks prior to buying our BC and honestly just didn’t like them. I am not sure exactly how much more you get buying a LM compared to the BC. A 3rd ac and some interior bling? Anyway for us it also came to a floor plan that worked for us and the most bang for the buck. We couldn’t justify the extra monies for a LM when we couldn’t really tell what the extra cost was for. Good luck in your search!!

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

We just started full-timing it in a Gateway 3800 RLB. "We" is my wife and I and our two kids, a 9 year old and an 18 month old. This unit so far has been amazing as far as space. My daughter sleeps in the top loft, and my son sleeps in a pack-n-play in the "cubby" room of the bunk room. He will later move to the space above the entertainment center when he is older. We plan on hanging curtains at the opening of my son's space to help divide and keep distractions down for him while he is sleeping. We have taken the mat off the lower bed and moved it to he loft. The mat is smaller and allows more space for storage in the loft area where we intend on building shelves for my daughter to have more space to organize. The mat from the loft just so happens to also fit on the bed that is made with the dining room table perfectly, helping to smooth out the lumpiness of the cushions.

We are learning still, the things that need to be done, such as dumping about once a week, even if the black tank isn't full to help keep down on odors. The temps haven't gotten real low yet, but I am thinking it will be sufficient to withstand the cold with the heated underbelly and tanks. Just watched a video of someone adding a 20v inlet separate from the 50 that would be designated to run an induction space heater to help supplement the cold. It may not be necessary, but I do like the idea of the option for more outlets to run various equipment if necessary.

Space has not been an issue. The back bunk room has been great for separation. We feel we can still keep our sanity and the amount of storage in the kitchen/living room seems to be huge, even without trying to make more space under stairs and all. (I hate dead space when real estate is so high).

danemayer

The temps haven't gotten real low yet, but I am thinking it will be sufficient to withstand the cold with the heated underbelly and tanks. Just watched a video of someone adding a 20v inlet separate from the 50 that would be designated to run an induction space heater to help supplement the cold. It may not be necessary, but I do like the idea of the option for more outlets to run various equipment if necessary.

Staying warm inside and keeping the water running are different. A space heater will help keep you warm, but can lead to frozen water pipes in the underbelly because the furnace may not run as much as without a space heater.

Take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide for more information.

That said, if you're going to run a space heater, having a dedicated 20 amp outlet, with its own wiring, on its own circuit breaker is a good idea. But in the winter, since you're not running air conditioners, the 50 amp mains supply plenty of power.

Staying warm inside and keeping the water running are different. A space heater will help keep you warm, but can lead to frozen water pipes in the underbelly because the furnace may not run as much as without a space heater.

Take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide for more information.

That said, if you're going to run a space heater, having a dedicated 20 amp outlet, with its own wiring, on its own circuit breaker is a good idea. But in the winter, since you're not running air conditioners, the 50 amp mains supply plenty of power.

That is some great information. More stuff I did not know. I may reroute that plug in under the camper to use heat lamps with now or run more than one. I like the option of plugging in extra stuff if needed. Being able to run heat lamps underneath the camper by just plugging them in and not having to run additional cords would be a great thing to have. You also answered my question about whether I should keep the 110v water heater on at all times or turn it on and off as needed. Any idea how long it takes for the electric water heater to heat the water on average? My wife is wanting to turn it on and off, example would be overnight, but I don't know that it is necessarily that cost effective, having to reheat the water from scratch vs just keeping the current water hot and the fact that in houses, the water heater stays on all the time as well.

danemayer

I have always left the water heater turned on, running on electric.

I doubt it would take more than an hour, if that long, to heat the water.

If you leave it on, and assume it cycles on for 5 minutes every 1/2 hour, from 8 PM to 8 AM that's about 2 hours of operation at about 1400 watts per hour, or 2.8 Kilowatt Hours to keep it running 12 hours overnight, versus 1.4 KWH if you turn it off and heat the water in the morning. So at $0.15 per Kilowatt Hour, you might save $0.25 per day. Obviously these are rough figures, so maybe it's $0.15, maybe $0.50.

That's what I figured as far as your numbers and the cost. I was just not sure if it was good for the heater itself to be running full-time. Seems like somethings in a house that work fine full-time aren't the same when it comes to a camper.

jerryneal

That is some great information. More stuff I did not know. I may reroute that plug in under the camper to use heat lamps with now or run more than one. I like the option of plugging in extra stuff if needed. Being able to run heat lamps underneath the camper by just plugging them in and not having to run additional cords would be a great thing to have. You also answered my question about whether I should keep the 110v water heater on at all times or turn it on and off as needed. Any idea how long it takes for the electric water heater to heat the water on average? My wife is wanting to turn it on and off, example would be overnight, but I don't know that it is necessarily that cost effective, having to reheat the water from scratch vs just keeping the current water hot and the fact that in houses, the water heater stays on all the time as well.

We've spent two winter's in our 2014 Gateway. Found if you don't run the furnace at night, the pipes will freeze under the kitchen sink. Still happens even if we add a 100 watt light bulb in the space where the water manifold is located.