Leaking shower drain.

Ornofrk

The shower drain in my 2011 Big Horn 3670RL appears to be leaking. After showers, I am getting water leaking between the bottom of the fiberglass shower stall and the floor? I crawled into the storage area under the bathroom and looked up into the drain cutout (need to be a contortionist to squeeze in this space) and did not see, or feel any water draining down. I think the shower drain gasket is probably leaking. There appears to be no way to get to the top of the P trap where there should be a threaded collar that attaches the shower drain to the shower floor? Does anyone know how to loosen the floor drain in order to put in a new gasket? Can you try to unscrew the drain from the top without having to hold the collar from below? Maybe as a fix I can put some waterproof sealant around the drain chrome collar? Howevr, I don't know if this would stop a leak and how long it would hold

Jerry.
2011 Big Horn 3670RL

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jerry, I've had that happen. Turns out is was a leak at the sealant of the shower enclosure and not a leak from the drain.
Check your caulking.

Peace
Dave

BobTheBuilder

Identical issue on my 2011 Bighorn and thought it was the drain. Turned out to be two other sources. The leaking between the enclosure and the base where it is caulked. It was intermitten depending on which way the shower sprayer was aimed during a shower. We also found that water behind the toilet and over to the shower would show up occasionally and we thought it was the shower. Turns out there was a design defect in the toilets installed during that time and they made a slight modification to them and corrected the problem (there have been other discussions regarding that toilet leak). I could not find any warranty coverage for it and simply bought a new toilet.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I remember at a previous Goshen rally, the enclosure manufacturer complaining that the installers drilled screws into it to attach the shower walls. That allowed water to run under and drip below because they didn’t bother to caulk the walls after. A number of owners did PM and siliconed the joints between the frame and enclosure.

Try sliding a sheet of paper or shining a light under the enclosure and see if there isn’t a gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk