Slideout topper snow load

RonandJacki

Member #4106
I searched for another thread about dealing with snow but didn't find any relevant to my question. Here in Oregon were having a sub stantial snow event this week. What, if any, might the consequences be of snow load on slide out toppers?

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Usually, the snow weighs down the fabric and the weight causes it to unspool enough to rest on top of the slide. But in a heavy, wet snowfall, it is possible to tear older fabric. Also, as temps climb, the snow melts a bit and turns into ice. If you pull the slide in without removing the ice, you can damage the fabric.

Hi guys/gals - this is all new to us. We have a new 2017 3585rl (3 slides). We live in SW Montana - cold -20!

We have 4 inches dry fluffy snow on our slides..the slides all have the awnings over them..will the snow just slide of when put in?

Please let us know.

Also, thank you Heartland for the YETI EXTREME COLD WEATHER PACKAGE. The trailer is warm and cozy at 20 below but boy it drinks propane.

jbeletti

Hi guys/gals - this is all new to us. We have a new 2017 3585rl (3 slides). We live in SW Montana - cold -20!

We have 4 inches dry fluffy snow on our slides..the slides all have the awnings over them..will the snow just slide of when put in?

Please let us know.

Also, thank you Heartland for the YETI EXTREME COLD WEATHER PACKAGE. The trailer is warm and cozy at 20 below but boy it drinks propane.

Consider checking into Cheap Heat (link). It's an electric heat add-on for RV furnaces. It allows you to keep your forced-air furnace heat but use AC power instead of propane and retains the ability to heat with propane with the flip of a switch inside the coach.

danemayer

Please let us know.

You'll definitely want to clear the snow off the toppers before pulling the slides in.

For those in areas with frequent snowfall, and/or heavy snowfall, you should consider topper supports. You can easily make them out of 1/2" PVC pipe. See pics below.

Attachments

• 2016-02-19 10.22.12.jpg
    2016-02-19 10.22.12.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 2016-02-19 10.21.58.jpg
    2016-02-19 10.21.58.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 2016-02-19 10.22.28.jpg
    2016-02-19 10.22.28.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 76

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Depending on how well your toppers were installed, you may want supports under them even during summer rains. This is especially true for the large dining room slides. Otherwise, the rain will pool on them and you'll end up with algae stains or noisy toppers when the wind blows. Our three small toppers are tight and don't sag, but the main slide did, so I made a PVC support similar to what Dan showed. Our first outing, years ago, I had rain water get a surface skin of ice on it. About pooped my pants when the sheet of ice slid off and hit the ground when I was pulling the slide in. Luckily, no damage done. That's when I learned about supports.

At rallies, I've seen new Landmarks with toppers that looked like poorly hung hammocks on the smaller slides. Not good.

esscobra

problem #1 is they don't mount the topper rail high enough to give enough pitch for proper drainage- so mine were pooling very badly- and had discussions about adding another rail higher to give them pitch- but tried the dometic awning roller supports and they gave enough support in the middle that the water will run off now and not pool up- and keeps them from bouncing when going down the road as well- it saved from having to add the rail and remount and bonus of supporting middle