New Bighorn 3585RL and Ford F350

hi all,,new to this,in mont...cold..spent all the kids $..new black 2017 f350 powerstroker with 36 opt..specail order,,also new 2017 bighorn 3585rl special order..15 extra options,YETI package,and it is warm inside at -15,sweet.let me know what i am doing wrong please..thanks every body

That should be a good combination.

The Bighorn 3585rl is very similar in weight, length, etc. to our 3570RS, which pulls nicely behind the F350.
hey alan,it tows sweet,ord my truck with trailer tow pack,trailer camera pack,ariler has shoks on all for and a more rydehitch so its perfect

NYSUPstater

Congrats on your new toys. For doing anything wrong......nope. Just spent like you said, your kids inheritance $$$$.

Geodude

That's our combo! Or it was. With a pin weight of 3100 pounds on the 3585 I was overloading the F-350's payload by about 400 pounds once we put in people, stuff in the bed, the hitch and so on. The 2017 trucks didn't get any more payload. In my case I solved it by getting into a 2018 GMC dually.

That's our combo! Or it was. With a pin weight of 3100 pounds on the 3585 I was overloading the F-350's payload by about 400 pounds once we put in people, stuff in the bed, the hitch and so on. The 2017 trucks didn't get any more payload. In my case I solved it by getting into a 2018 GMC dually.
my 3585rl has a hitch weight of 2350,ford handles all very well.am very happy,,,70 on cruise and 12 mpg...what was the torque and hp on that duramax?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
my 3585rl has a hitch weight of 2350
I think if you had your rig weighed you would find that you are substantially over that published pin weight.
My 3585 has a pin weight of just over 3,500 pounds, loaded for travel.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

Alan_B

I think if you had your rig weighed you would find that you are substantially over that published weight.
My 3585 has a pin weight of just over 3,500 pounds, loaded for travel.

Peace
Dave

I have a 3570RS, not a 3585 so of course YMMV. My pin weight was 2,560 lbs. per CAT scales in October (loaded for a vacation). That was before the install of an Onan 5500 LP generator, which should add about 280 lbs.

The generator would bring the total weight on the rear axle to 6,670 lbs., still under the rear GAWR.

I have a 3570RS, not a 3585 so of course YMMV. My pin weight was 2,560 lbs. per CAT scales in October (loaded for a vacation). That was before the install of an Onan 5500 LP generator, which should add about 280 lbs.

The generator would bring the total weight on the rear axle to 6,670 lbs., still under the rear GAWR.
i know that the new 2017 f350 all alum truck is 500lbs lighter that the 2016 and that was put all back into the upgrade suspention,and when i am loaded and ready in my 2017 i am just about to touch on my overload springs...i have no sag and no use for air bags...it drives and handles like a dream,you dont hardly know its back there...

Geodude

my 3585rl has a hitch weight of 2350,ford handles all very well.am very happy,,,70 on cruise and 12 mpg...what was the torque and hp on that duramax?

The Duramax has 910 torques and 445 HP. I haven't towed with it yet as I'm still in the non-towing break-in period. The towing break-in instructions say not to tow faster than 80 km/h for the first 800 kms. That is going to be painfully slow. :eek:

That 2350 sounds like the brochure pin weight to me. I put mine on the scales and got the 3100 pounds all loaded up. I was surprised it was that high but when you consider the size of the basement areas, a lot of stuff does go in there.

- - - Updated - - -

i know that the new 2017 f350 all alum truck is 500lbs lighter that the 2016 and that was put all back into the upgrade suspention,and when i am loaded and ready in my 2017 i am just about to touch on my overload springs...i have no sag and no use for air bags...it drives and handles like a dream,you dont hardly know its back there...

We were sure we'd end up with a '17 or '18 Ford F-350, since our 2011 was so awesome. I was surprised that Ford didn't take any of the weight savings from going aluminium and add a bit of extra payload. I just needed 400 lbs. We were looking at Platinums and the cargo carrying capacity was 300 lbs lower than our Lariat, so it became a non starter. Even the new Lariats had less payload than my 2011.

Our goal was to be within specs for all our numbers (tire, axle, GVWR, etc.), have a GVWR that wouldn't require commercial registration and doing inspections and logs, and have a combined truck/trailer GVWR within my current driver's licence weight limit. Only the GM trucks would get me into that position. Unfortunately in Ford's quest for big braggy numbers their duallies can't be used here in Ontario without going full commercial as their GVWR is too high. That may be a reason why you see a lot more GM duallies in this part of the world. If Ford were to offer a de-rated GVWR, as they do with the SRW trucks, they'd sell more trucks to RVers.