Prowler Lynx 27LX Axle/Bearing failure and upgrade!

MotoLynx27x

Hey there folks. Its been a long while since I've posted here. We've had our 27LX since 2014 and I must say its been a great RV. Ive done a ton of mods to it, and we've taken it for a few 3,000+ mile journeys. Everything has been great, until recently....

Bearing failure. Failure of a bearing is nothing new, but when it went on my trip up north for work, it picked the worst place and time to give out. Not to mention my TST 507 TPMS system did not notice any big temperature increase, yet the wheel became so hot that it caught fire. I didn't even notice it until I saw smoke and flames lapping up the side of the trailer! I had to find a place to pull over. by the time I did, the damage to the axle was done.

Ive never liked the idea of putting so much weight on undersized axles, as it leaves no margin of safety. So, Ive decided to upgrade. Im purchasing a pair of 7000lb axles and 14ply tires! Ill have pictures and more details to come once everything is installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0743.jpg
    IMG_0743.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0740.jpg
    IMG_0740.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 42

'Lil Guy'

Did you see any kind of spike in the temp? Mind reads pretty constant with the ambient temp. I just look at it periodically top see the differences in wheel tempts. Not sure how the hub/bearing temp shows in the tire where the sensor is located. You should have seen a spike on that wheel. How high do you have the alarm set as far as temps go.

MotoLynx27x

Did you see any kind of spike in the temp? Mind reads pretty constant with the ambient temp. I just look at it periodically top see the differences in wheel tempts. Not sure how the hub/bearing temp shows in the tire where the sensor is located. You should have seen a spike on that wheel. How high do you have the alarm set as far as temps go.

No sir. No spike was detected until the fire and smoke started. Tire alert temp is set at 140. At the peak of summer when the wheels are facing the sun they don’t get hotter than 115.