Towing a cyclone 4000 with a short bed SRW

Fordfxr

What’s your thoughts. Towing a cyclone 4000 triple axle with a 2017 Ford F-250 SRW. I have a 2016
F-350 Dually which handles it awesome but would like to get to one truck. I worry about the stability of
the 250 after pulling it with the 350. What’s your thoughts. Thanks

jmarnell

We pull our Cyclone 4005 with a F350 DRW. With that big a trailer we felt the dually was the only way to go. I love the stability and don't think I'd be comfortable with a single rear wheel.

alwaysbusy

What’s your thoughts. Towing a cyclone 4000 triple axle with a 2017 Ford F-250 SRW. I have a 2016
F-350 Dually which handles it awesome but would like to get to one truck. I worry about the stability of

Hey Fordfxr,
I don't know your specific 250 build, but according to the Ford guide your 5th wheel capacity is 14,100-14,700. The 2016 prototype for our 4000 suggested a dry weight of 14,100. Well, it actually ended up around 15,200. Once we put fuel, water, etc. on board, we were over with our 1 ton SRW. Truck had to go; having been on both ends of this, I'd stick with your DRW 350. Happy trails.

Riski

Hey Fordfxr,
I don't know your specific 250 build, but according to the Ford guide your 5th wheel capacity is 14,100-14,700. The 2016 prototype for our 4000 suggested a dry weight of 14,100. Well, it actually ended up around 15,200. Once we put fuel, water, etc. on board, we were over with our 1 ton SRW. Truck had to go; having been on both ends of this, I'd stick with your DRW 350. Happy trails.

Agreed. I have a 4100 and DRW pulls it like a champs and is very stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired

Been there done that got the t-shirt - And it sounds like you answered your own question.

SNOKING

Why do people buy a 250 or 2500, and then want to tow large, heavy and long 5th wheels? Oh yeah, they are the same as the 350 or 3500 except of the label on the side.

BLR

Braking power is a must.. stability equals less stress for everyone involved

Sent from BLR Logistics

jeffdee

I towed a two axle 3110 for 17 months with a SRW Superduty F250. 16,000# loaded. The truck handled it well but you could tell it was at max capacity for the truck. RV’ing is supposed to be fun but towing with a maxed out truck is not! It can be stressful. Towing a three axle toyhauler with a SRW truck is generally 2k to 4K over capacity for the truck. Not wise or legal. I upgraded to a DRW F350 Superduty and it was a world of difference. No stress at all. I have 4.30 gears which really makes towing simple and easy for all towing situations. I believe the trip to and from the campground should be as enjoyable as the actual camping.

My 2 cents!

BTW, a fully equipped SRW Superduty will cost the same, if not more than a modestly equipped DRW Superduty. However, there is no comparison in towing capacity!

2TrakR

What’s your thoughts.

I pull our 3950 (41' triple axle) with our 2016 F350, SRW CC. Previously pulled it with our 2012 GMC 2500HD SRW CC.
The GM, I put airbags on the back to help on the big bumps. The Ford is stock.

We've done thousands of miles and it has towed comfortably.

If you are inexperienced with towing or not comfortable pulling large loads, you will be much more comfortable with a DRW.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When I had my Prowler weighed it was loaded for the way I used to go camping.

It weighed 9868 pounds fully loaded!

Now that I am full-timing and have moved some stuff into the camper (and gave the wife the boot) that I never would have put in here otherwise, plus buying some new furniture to facilitate full-time living with just me and my four Mainecoone mountain lion kitties, I guess I need to get another scale reading!

Needless to say, when it comes to towing, it is NOT "What can I pull?"
But "What can I STOP?"!

Flooringit

A single wheel 350 be fine. I have a 2017 250 but it has high capacity tow package. Is the same except one thing which is springs. The difference in hitch weight is a lot. Like 1700 I was surprised. I bought mine not seeing the sticker truck had to be brought from another lot. I thought it would have more bed capacity but it has more tongue. I pull my 4000 no problems. Stopping no problem. The first stop is always the slowest when rv has sat for awhile. Rusty brakes. I do have Air bags as have ordered the 350 springs. I’ll be safe just not sticker legal. They do not look at that here. But I would not pull to Cali lol

for people who think a 250 and 350 are same they are not. Axles and springs are different most people think it’s a spring difference but the axle is a 1/2 diameter more. Which is stronger. Other then that the same. Drive train wise

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
A single wheel 350 be fine. I have a 2017 250 but it has high capacity tow package. Is the same except one thing which is springs. The difference in hitch weight is a lot. Like 1700 I was surprised. I bought mine not seeing the sticker truck had to be brought from another lot. I thought it would have more bed capacity but it has more tongue. I pull my 4000 no problems. Stopping no problem. The first stop is always the slowest when rv has sat for awhile. Rusty brakes. I do have Air bags as have ordered the 350 springs. I’ll be safe just not sticker legal. They do not look at that here. But I would not pull to Cali lol

for people who think a 250 and 350 are same they are not. Axles and springs are different most people think it’s a spring difference but the axle is a 1/2 diameter more. Which is stronger. Other then that the same. Drive train wise

Please don't encourage folks to tow with a truck that may be insufficient for THEIR needs.

http://fifthwheelst.com/truck_pulls_it_fine.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

You may be way over on the rear axle weight. Get in an accident and that is the first thing your insurgence company will look at.