New Heartland Pioneer QB300 owner

camplife

We are now Heartland Pioneer Owners. :) We have never owned a brand new camper so far we love it. The only thing i don't like about it so far is that there is no light unless the awning is fully out. I was thinking of ordering a LED light strip installing it just below the awning and tie into the awning lights. Has anyone done that or any other kind of outside light?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Camplife and welcome to this great forum.
It's always fun to do mods to our rigs and give a real sense of pride.
I have added an LED light strip just below the awning. Works great.
I would caution against tying into your other awning roller light strip as I have heard that using that strip with the awning rolled up could be a problem for the awning material.
I suggest a separate controller for the added strip. Use on or the other or both when the awning is out only.
Someone here recently posted a picture of their added LED strip. I'll try to find in and post the link.

Peace
Dave

camplife

Thanks!

I wondered if tuning on the awning strip while rolled up would effect the fabric.

Where would you get the power from if you didn't tie into the awning light (as we will be on 12v most of the time)?

Hello Camplife and welcome to this great forum.
It's always fun to do mods to our rigs and give a real sense of pride.
I have added an LED light strip just below the awning. Works great.
I would caution against tying into your other awning roller light strip as I have heard that using that strip with the awning rolled up could be a problem for the awning material.
I suggest a separate controller for the added strip. Use on or the other or both when the awning is out only.
Someone here recently posted a picture of their added LED strip. I'll try to find in and post the link.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Where would you get the power from if you didn't tie into the awning light (as we will be on 12v most of the time)?
I'm not familiar with the Pioneer but you should be able to find 12 volts somewhere. Maybe follow the existing LED light strip wire.

Peace
Dave

Power247

Welcome! We are considering the same project on our Pioneer. We like the lights on the awning roller but we don't always have it open at night. It seems the popular solution is to run a the wire from the new light strip through the hole in the side of the camper where the existing light comes through and then add a second switch on the wall. I have not done it yet but it is likely that I will this year.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310