ATF: Mallard - Kitty Door

obrienkro

Intend to install kitty door in nightstand on a 2018 M27 to provide access to the under storage area of the TT (right side viewed from hitch with smaller access door). Then intend to install a 1/4 inch Masonite wall about 3 feet from the access door to segment the area for kitty litter box. Planning to use two expandable rods mounted in closet rod cups affixed to forward and aft walls of the storage area with short screws. Any thing in the nightstand or storage area walls to be concerned about for this modification? TIA

VIN - 5SFNB3029JE363403
Contact - obrienkro@hotmail.com

Last edited:

DaveC6

If it’s like my Wilderness 3175 there is only a heater hose in that big box in the storage area. Plenty of room for what you plan. Check inside the storage area on the right side small door and there are 4 screws on mine and that panel comes off to expose the wasted space. So if it’s like mine, you can remove the wall next to the storage door and extend the other wall up to the front wall. Good idea, it will give you easy access to the liter box. You won’t need to go any deeper than the existing box.

Also, there is another smaller panel with 4 screws on the front wall next to the storage door which will give you an idea what’s in the front wall. Wires, more wires and some insulation. You should be fine using short screws in the front wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

obrienkro

Image shows where I would cut and install kitty door. Behind that panel is the full width cargo area with access doors on both sides. Just hope there is no wiring or other system issues.

Attachments

• kitty door M27.jpg
    kitty door M27.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 39

DaveC6

Image shows where I would cut and install kitty door. Behind that panel is the full width cargo area with access doors on both sides. Just hope there is no wiring or other system issues.

Is there a heater vent right there? If so, this is what it probably looks like.
IMG_1749.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obrienkro

Reply from Heartland - any modification can void warranty. Cannot comment on mods. Okay, understand that but no response to the question whether there are system components that require consideration - so essentially no answer. So we decided to use the area under the end of the bed to house the kitty door and boxes. Now looking into access to the end of the bed frame facing the rear of the trailer with drawer or hinged door (or both) to provide access to the boxes for cleaning.