78" Queen Bed? Travel Trailers...

I just recently bought a NT Travel Trailer (31BHD). Out of the many reasons we chose NT, the most important was, because my hubby is a tall man, the 78" bed vs. a 70" bed in other models. However, after getting our trailer home and heading out to buy a foam pad to make our bed in the camper a little more comfortable (this hard foam is killer!)... we found out that our bed is only 72" long... NOT the 78" as advertised. Has anyone else had this problem?

While my dealership has ordered the 78" 'mattress' (foam bed) and have offered to extend the wood on the bed to support the extra inches.. I can't help but wonder how this could happen if the 78" is standard. AND, am I wrong to think I'm now losing out on an additional 6" of storage space underneath our bed? AND the drawers under the bed will be further out of reach? I don't know why this is bugging me so much, but it is!

:confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
NTTraveler, I can certainly understand your disappointment. I'm not sure if the NT bed lifts up to access more storage or not but that might be an easier way to access your underbed drawer. I think Jim Beletti will also see your post and bring this to the factory's attention. The website definitly states 78" queen bed. It's a great looking floor plan though. I like the sofa area/tv in the back for the kids. Enjoy your North Trail.

RVCamper

I believe the standard is now 74" not 78" on another site the factory rep said they changed the length of the bed from 78" to 74" due to accessibility complaints. There is an option to get at pillow-top of 78".

We had an extra Queen mattress but opted to keep the standard mattress do to the extra tongue weight, and there would be less room to get around. After spending a couple of weeks sleeping on the standard mattress it is much more comfortable than when new. :)

I have the 2009 BHD31 also, What I can't understand is 4" on the length does not hurt anything, any accessibility complaints I would think would be directed toward the width??? Either way I think they should have extended the OSB to the full length of the mattress, they didn't do that either.:mad:

RVCamper

I'm tall too (6' 3") so I perfer not having my feet dangle over the end of the bed. Long is typically better, and one of the reasons I picked a North Trail. I think they could make the front bedroom larger by a few inches.

However, on my QBS we have a sliding "pocket" door, so you might be close binding the door if you add a blankets & a topper to the bed.

On the back bunks the bed is only 72" long. I can't lie down back there! Way too short! :(