Idaho tote

Nightshifter

Just got done fabricating the hitch assembly for my Idaho tote. Going to be mounting it on the back of the fifth wheel tomorrow and then custom fitting the attachment pieces.6D640FBB-3FEB-45E7-AF04-E49B77513702.jpgB14D37D5-B98C-4038-AC53-A24A67315FAF.jpg3EB00120-B429-4305-BC9F-36EA6662E19D.jpg

bwdt

I'm really concerned about the way you put the receiver together, you cut the cross support to put the reciever tubes through it. This will weaken the cross tube which carries all of the load dramatically weakening it and with three cuts outs, I would be worried.
I have never seen a hitch done this way. Usually they are welded and gusseted with plates.

You could add some triangles on the sides from the receiver tubes to the cross tube to add some strength, or a top and bottom plate on each tube.

RickL

I'm really concerned about the way you put the receiver together, you cut the cross support to put the reciever tubes through it. This will weaken the cross tube which carries all of the load dramatically weakening it and with three cuts outs, I would be worried.
I have never seen a hitch done this way. Usually they are welded and gusseted with plates.

You could add some triangles on the sides from the receiver tubes to the cross tube to add some strength, or a top and bottom plate on each tube.

I disagree that the integrity is compromised. Look at RV hitches on etrailer as they look similar to what nightshifter has built. Once welded I believe the “bar” is structurally sound.

chiefneon

Just got done fabricating the hitch assembly for my Idaho tote. Going to be mounting it on the back of the fifth wheel tomorrow and then custom fitting the attachment pieces.View attachment 56833View attachment 56834View attachment 56835

Howdy!

Did you do that yourself are did Gregg Bromeling build that at Idaho Tote? I used a Idaho Tote for several years before we purchased our Cyclone. Gregg has a great product and does a good job mounting the tote. We carried a Yamaha Rhino and also a Smart Car on ours.

” Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Nightshifter

Greg furnished the 4x4 square tube with the two 2” slugs welded in to match the trailer. I added a third in the center for a bike rack when not towing the trailer. I had to supply the 3/8” plate for the drop down sides and cut the tubing to fit my frame centers. I also have to weld up the L shape brackets that attach the trailer to the hitch assembly. The trailer is very well made and I was impressed with the design. I’ll post more pics after I’m finished with the installation.