Pin Box rating

Oldelevatorman

Why is my pin box only 18k when the Newport is 18k? So I have no factor of safety over the trailers GVWR on the pin box. Everything I've read says it should be 20% over the trailers GVWR! Every fifth wheel I've looked at here in the campground has a much higher rating than its GVWR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure where you read the 20% figure but normally that is 20% of the GVWR and would be your approximate pin weight.
Can you provide some links?

Peace
Dave

Oldelevatorman

Not sure where you read the 20% figure but normally that is 20% of the GVWR and would be your approximate pin weight.
Can you provide some links?

Peace
Dave

I just typed the question online and there was only one answer specific to my question about pin box weight rating in relation to trailer GVWR. My pin weight is 22% or 3920 when I last weighed!

ksucats

I've pondered the same question regarding my 2015 KeyWest model. 18K Trailaire with 18K GVWR. Seems that there should be some cushion (20K or so trailaire) but that is what I've got. I've looked at some of the MorRyde pin boxes and, as I remember, they were also all 18K on the Landmarks.

Oldelevatorman

I've pondered the same question regarding my 2015 KeyWest model. 18K Trailaire with 18K GVWR. Seems that there should be some cushion (20K or so trailaire) but that is what I've got. I've looked at some of the MorRyde pin boxes and, as I remember, they were also all 18K on the Landmarks.

I called Morryde and they explained to me how their pin boxes are designed. There's no need for a higher rated pin box unless you are over your GVWR. Then you would simply get the next size spring that goes inside the pin box that has a higher rating. They were very helpful.

ksucats

Interesting - have never noticed that placard on the side of the pin box. Learn something everyday.