Landmark Axle Maintenance

JBoyerinAbq

Looking through the stack of manuals I received with the Landmark, a manual for the axles was not among them. I'm wondering what maintenance needs to be performed and what you all specifically do??

Thank you - safe travels!

Last edited by a moderator:

dave10a

After bearing failures and even a wheel loss. I found out the hard way-- forget the easy lube and have the wheel bearings packed by a reputable mechanic annually and inspect the suspension very well for weld cracks and alignment. Also replace the spring eye bushings with brass/grease bushing. You can do all these things yourself if you are handy and learn the basics from a qualified source. Forget the marketing crap about easylube because it is just that crap..... Also it could be a good idea to have the bearings re-packed when you take delivery-- Unless you are a trusting soul that believes the factory had packed them properly. It could take a few thousand miles for improperly packed bearings to fail. Also pay attention to the tires that were factory installed. In some trailers the factory install some crappy tires to cut costs. I am not being negative-- but realistic.

danemayer

Hi JBoyerinAlb,

The Heartland Trailer Manual that came with your Landmark 365 includes a maintenance schedule.

Your Landmark likely came with Dexter axles. Dexter ships pre-assembled axles and suspension to the Heartland factory where they are mounted. So although Dexter might not grease the bearings properly when the axle is assembled, it's pretty rare for them to screw up.

Dexter has generally called for bearings to be inspected and packed ever 12,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. I notice that a recent Heartland Landmark 365 Manual maintenance schedule calls for more frequent inspection.

Most people on this forum would agree to avoid using the EZ-Lube zerks and rather do a hand packing and inspection of the bearings. For one thing, you can't inspect the bearings if you use the EZ-Lube feature. For another, most of us don't trust that feature to work well enough to risk losing a wheel and axle if it doesn't work well.

If you'd like more detailed information, take a look at the Dexter Axle Brake 600-8K Complete Service Manual in this folder.

Also, be sure to take a look at our owner-written Landmark 365 User Guide in this folder. There are 2 versions that apply to older and newer Landmark 365s.

DirtyMax88

.......Also it could be a good idea to have the bearings re-packed when you take delivery-- Unless you are a trusting soul that believes the factory had packed them properly. It could take a few thousand miles for improperly packed bearings to fail.

We didnt have ours checked before we took delivery. Which was bad on our part. We took a few trips, probably totaling 1000 miles, and then had the trailer in for some warranty work. I had a friend of mine ask me if I checked the wheel bearings, i said no. Asked them to look at the bearings while in for warranty work. 3 of the 4 had little to no grease in them.

Oldelevatorman

Also take a look at your axle tag to make sure they are the right size. Mine were 7k instead of 8k and Heartland had Dexter send the correct size. I would have had no reason to check but I'm having disk brakes installed and they needed info off the tag to order parts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk