wired for solar GO POWER

just purchased a new Torque T322, it had a decal on one of the inside walls that stated it was wired for Solar, the decal is also a template to cut out and install the charge controller.
I just cut it out and there are NO wires at all running in that wall. my Torque does have the connectors on the roof, but how am I going to figure where those wires go.......hate to have cut holes in the ceiling of my new torque just to find out where they lead to.

attaching picture of the template/decal that was mounted on the wall.

any help greatly appreciated.
thank you,

iPuXzc

IMG_0697.jpg

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi renerod1969,

Congratulations on the new Torque and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

From prior posts on solar, I was under the impression that the prewiring goes from a connector on the front of the trailer, or maybe the roof, to the battery compartment. Have you looked near the battery?

porthole

Retired

porthole

Retired
Now if you really do have true solar prep to the roof, check to see if it is even suitable for your plans. Some manufacturers use the minimum gauge wire, maybe 10 awg from the roof to basement.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Looks like this. Mine is next to the exterior front jacks switch

64d5c78a4c33cf3e20d10c85f1eb8838.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

OP, I'm guessing there is more "solar prep" in your 2018 Torque that what we are use to in our 2017 and earlier trailers with the simple Zamp outside connector. You mentioned the template to cut inside, and I had nothing like that in our 2017 CY.

This may be new waters for us to learn from if this is the case... please keep this thread updated.

CoveredWagon

just purchased a new Torque T322, it had a decal on one of the inside walls that stated it was wired for Solar, the decal is also a template to cut out and install the charge controller.
I just cut it out and there are NO wires at all running in that wall. my Torque does have the connectors on the roof, but how am I going to figure where those wires go.......hate to have cut holes in the ceiling of my new torque just to find out where they lead to.

attaching picture of the template/decal that was mounted on the wall.

any help greatly appreciated.
thank you,

BAC02006-CBE6-4D84-8DA8-53DE45483195_zpsjtrfgsr8.jpeg

Call customer service and ask them. Have your VIN # ready.

Now if you really do have true solar prep to the roof, check to see if it is even suitable for your plans. Some manufacturers use the minimum gauge wire, maybe 10 awg from the roof to basement.

I will be only using a 50 watt solar panel to keep my battery(s) "topped off", no plans to run inverter. I did purchase the GP-PWM-30 charge controller, cut out the decal where it was labeled on the wall but no wires.

I will look near the front by the batteries to see if maybe they ran the wires up there, but it still is hard to believe they would put that decal on the inside and there not be any wires behind it.

2018 Heartland Torque T322

LBR

Aha...your picture in post #1 finally showed up. That is different than the previous 20A outside plugins for portable solar panels most of us are accustomed to.

As mentioned, contact Heartland with your VIN

CoveredWagon

I will be only using a 50 watt solar panel to keep my battery(s) "topped off", no plans to run inverter. I did purchase the GP-PWM-30 charge controller, cut out the decal where it was labeled on the wall but no wires.

I will look near the front by the batteries to see if maybe they ran the wires up there, but it still is hard to believe they would put that decal on the inside and there not be any wires behind it.

2018 Heartland Torque T322

How about this 98280D04-52A8-41E7-B326-649982AEE200.jpg97FEBE3B-58FF-48D0-829C-D43F229AC3F0.jpgF5084AC7-F5AE-45E9-BA84-E532F28EE80C.jpg563621AF-6997-425C-8550-E40E44D4FE87.jpg

OP, I'm guessing there is more "solar prep" in your 2018 Torque that what we are use to in our 2017 and earlier trailers with the simple Zamp outside connector. You mentioned the template to cut inside, and I had nothing like that in our 2017 CY.

This may be new waters for us to learn from if this is the case... please keep this thread updated.

Correct, this is more than just the Zamp outside connector, I have contacted Heartland but was on hold for more than 30 minutes.....the drop for the wires on the inside wall was not there, I have tired for hours to try and locate where they dropped the wires inside.......no luck. hopefully Heartland customer service will be able to help me determine where the wires are, I already cut the hole where the template was and also purchased the GP-PVM-30 controller (not cheap). there is actually a speaker somewhat close to where the drop should be and I am able to get my arm up in the ceiling but do not see or feel any wires that are not either power or speaker.

attached are pictures of where the drop should be and the controller.

IMG_0719.jpgIMG_0720.jpg

schew

I have the identical cut out sticker as well as the mc4 connectors on my roof. My cutout sticker was right above the RV control panel, you know the one that has switches for lights, waterheater, waterpump, etc..
Is your sticker on the same wall as your controll panel? If not, your solar prep cables may be behind the wall that has your control panel switches.

When I cut the hole, I found two wires coming from the top, and had to search for awhile until I found the two wires coming from the batteries, which were coiled up in the wall below the cutout sticker..
Hopefully yours are the same, though it sounds like you've thoroughly looked..

I have the identical cut out sticker as well as the mc4 connectors on my roof. My cutout sticker was right above the RV control panel, you know the one that has switches for lights, waterheater, waterpump, etc..
Is your sticker on the same wall as your controll panel? If not, your solar prep cables may be behind the wall that has your control panel switches.

When I cut the hole, I found two wires coming from the top, and had to search for awhile until I found the two wires coming from the batteries, which were coiled up in the wall below the cutout sticker..

my sticker is about 2' above my fuse panel, the control panel is on another wall right as you walk through the door, I will remove it tonight to see if maybe they just put the sticker in the wrong place. I will also be contacting heartland again today, hopefully i will get through.

thanks for all the help

When you found your wires what color were they? were they capped off or just cut and coiled up?
were the wires from the batteries the same color as the wires coming from the roof?

thank you,

Re: wired for solar GO POWER **UPDATE**

2018 Torque T322

I finally was able to get in touch with Heartland, they assured me the solar pre-wire was installed and that the wires should be 8 gauge, I got to thinking maybe they dropped the wires in the run next to where the cut out is, only way to be for sure was to take the panel off.....I was able to get most of the 1000 staples out in order to look behind the panel, low and behold I saw some 8 gauge wires along with a ton of other wires, my only problem now was that I had to drill threw the stud between the panels to get my wires through, had to be very careful because the vent for the bathroom sink and tub are attached to the stud. now my next problem was that the wires from the roof were to short, so I had to add about 6" to get them to connect to the controller, the wires running down to the battery were fine.

I was thinking maybe they just put the template/sticker in the wrong place, if they had just put it in the run where I found the wires everything would have been ok, not the case, if you notice in the pictures below where the thermostat is, the run is only about 6" wide and remember that the vent runs through there also, no chance the controller would of fit.
I have seen many pictures of the T322 and all of them have the template in the same place, be very cautious if your buying this unit and intend to use the prewire, luckily I was very careful when removing trim and panel...but it was still a PITA.

if you have any questions please feel free to message me.

IMG_0724.JPGIMG_0726.JPGIMG_0719.jpgIMG_0727.JPG

schew

I'm glad you got that all worked out. I checked out other t322's on the web and like you said, I saw the stickers in the same place as yours. I was starting to suspect that they ran the solar prep cables along the same path as the thermostat wires.

Now to throw a monkey wrench into the mix...You should think about installing some solar panels that are more than 50 watts...

BTW, I saw in your profile that you are from Farmington. I love that country! When I 'm lucky, I chase Mulies and Elk in your neck of the woods. PM me if you feel like chatting ..

I'm glad you got that all worked out. I checked out other t322's on the web and like you said, I saw the stickers in the same place as yours. I was starting to suspect that they ran the solar prep cables along the same path as the thermostat wires.

Now to throw a monkey wrench into the mix...You should think about installing some solar panels that are more than 50 watts...

BTW, I saw in your profile that you are from Farmington. I love that country! When I 'm lucky, I chase Mulies and Elk in your neck of the woods. PM me if you feel like chatting ..

yea, now that I know that the wires are 8 gauge I am thinking of going with a couple 12v 110w panels, I am currently the district sales manger for a Automation-x, we supply renewable energy for 90% of the gas wells here in the basin. we have tons of panels that we get for demos.

I love this town, we have hundreds of miles of trails in the glade for rock climbing our side x sides, and just 45 minutes north we are in Colorado, beautiful area.
hit me up if are ever in the area, love to meet new people..