Sailun tires.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Never weighed one but I’d guess 75-80 lbs minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

Does anyone know how much a Sailun tire and wheel weigh ?[/QUOTE. Hi Dave, do you have Sailun tires on you rig? If so do you like them? Going to buy 4 new tires for our Bighorn. Anything you know? Andy

Yes we do. They were original equipment. From what I’ve read they are the tire of choice. I haven’t had to add any air in nearly a year. I’m satisfied. I look forward to years of service. No reason to complain.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
The Tire alone weighs 55 lbs. I would guess the wheels would be somewhat different depending on the brand.

SNOKING

The S637 ST235/85R16G weight 61 pounds. The GY G614 in that size weights 57.5 pounds. The Sailun is larger in diameter at 32" and the G614 is 30.7"!

Sailun came out with a ST235/80R16G that is a similar diameter to the G614 that weighs 55 pounds.

Chris

CoveredWagon

The S637 ST235/85R16G weight 61 pounds. The GY G614 in that size weights 57.5 pounds. The Sailun is larger in diameter at 32" and the G614 is 30.7"!

Sailun came out with a ST235/80R16G that is a similar diameter to the G614 that weighs 55 pounds.

Chris

Thanks Chris 😉

NYSUPstater

Sailuns although a Chinese tire, has had a very good track record for quality. Each tire is under 200 bucks whereas a GY is close to 300 or more. Haven't heard of too many failures w/ Sailuns but have heard that GY is pretty good on reimbursing folks that have had issues w/ GY tires. Our '18 BC (mfr'd in April of '17) came thru w/ Sailuns. Wouldn't take it if it didn't.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I replaced my OEM Freestars with Sailuns last spring. Got them from Simple Tire, as well.

RickL

I guess my question would be - why the interest in tire weight? The heavier the tire doesn’t necessarily translate into it being a better tire. In fact I would submit that the heavier tire, everything being equal, may be a “poorer” choice. Typically Chinese tires can and do weigh more as they are compounded with different materials. A heavier tire may not disparate heat as well as a lighter constructed tire.

Keep one one important factor in mind - heat is a tires number 1 enemy. Heat destroys more tires then anything else.

CoveredWagon

I guess my question would be - why the interest in tire weight? The heavier the tire doesn’t necessarily translate into it being a better tire. In fact I would submit that the heavier tire, everything being equal, may be a “poorer” choice. Typically Chinese tires can and do weigh more as they are compounded with different materials. A heavier tire may not disparate heat as well as a lighter constructed tire.

Keep one one important factor in mind - heat is a tires number 1 enemy. Heat destroys more tires then anything else.

Why ? Just in case I had to change one on the road or something like that. That’s why. I has nothing to due with rolling mass.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Why ? Just in case I had to change one on the road or something like that. That’s why. I has nothing to due with rolling mass.

It’s all about leverage, Dave. You promise the wife some pretty bling if she picks it up for you. More bling if she actually changes the tire while you sip a cold one. Simple, no?

CoveredWagon

It’s all about leverage, Dave. You promise the wife some pretty bling if she picks it up for you. More bling if she actually changes the tire while you sip a cold one. Simple, no?

Like that’s ever gonna happen John. 😂 I’ll wind up changing the tire and with my last breath buying her all that bling anyway. Lol.

SNOKING

I started compiling data on tire weights and posting on the difference years ago. Until recently ST tires were cheap light weight offering that were designed for local service and not really designed or capable of sustain highway use on heavy tall trailers. The better compounds and heavier cords were questionable in many offering. AND THEY were speed restricted to 65 MPH to justify they inflated load capacity.

So how could a 34 pound maypop ST235/80R16E handle more weight than a 55 pound all steel ply Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E? The in the all haul the maypop could not. Speed restrict the XPS Rib from it's 99 MPH rating to 65 MPH and it load rating could go as high or higher than the maypop and still be a very reliable tire for trailer use out on America's highways.

So now we need to look at tire testing standards. ST tires are tested to lower standards verses passenger carrying tires. Here is a link to an older post on testing standards.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23225970/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

I use to tell people to visit two tire stores, sitting on a maypop ST and then a Michelin XPS RIB, to see which one will hold you up.

Heavy all steel tires like the Michelin XPS Rib, Bridgestone Duravis R250, GY G614 and Sailun S637 are noted to having lower rolling resistance verses a poly carcass tire, whether a maypop ST or poly LT.

Chris

RickL

I started compiling data on tire weights and posting on the difference years ago. Until recently ST tires were cheap light weight offering that were designed for local service and not really designed or capable of sustain highway use on heavy tall trailers. The better compounds and heavier cords were questionable in many offering. AND THEY were speed restricted to 65 MPH to justify they inflated load capacity.

So how could a 34 pound maypop ST235/80R16E handle more weight than a 55 pound all steel ply Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E? The in the all haul the maypop could not. Speed restrict the XPS Rib from it's 99 MPH rating to 65 MPH and it load rating could go as high or higher than the maypop and still be a very reliable tire for trailer use out on America's highways.

So now we need to look at tire testing standards. ST tires are tested to lower standards verses passenger carrying tires. Here is a link to an older post on testing standards.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23225970/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

I use to tell people to visit two tire stores, sitting on a maypop ST and then a Michelin XPS RIB, to see which one will hold you up.

Heavy all steel tires like the Michelin XPS Rib, Bridgestone Duravis R250, GY G614 and Sailun S637 are noted to having lower rolling resistance verses a poly carcass tire, whether a maypop ST or poly LT.

Chris

You are comparing apples and oranges. The Michelin XPS (as the equivalent Bridgestone or Goodyear) are an all steel body ply construction. These tires are based off the medium commercial applications in LT sizes. Most ST tires are a polyester body ply construction. Sitting on the tires has little value in terms of capability. I would suggest that all things being equal (pressure and weight, along with speed) that a polyester body will equally perform thier intended functions.

This becomes a “risk/reward” comparison for each individual to decide. An all steel body provides a stronger construction to better ward off impact damage, greater penetration resistance, and retread ability. On the down side is a rougher ride and high entry cost.

The ST poly tire is obviously a lower entry price and smoother ride. As to expected mileage it’s probably a toss up. The all steel comes with more tread depth but the downside can result in more tread squirm when the tires are new. There is a place for both constructed tires. It becomes a personal preference.