first outing of the year - a mixed story

szewczyk_john

As always, we are in Martinsville, VA for the race. Not been a good trip so far. We had an air bag failure within the Trailer Saver BD-3 hitch sometime during our trip. Then we woke up to 2-3 inches of snow with more forecasted along with cold temperatures all week long. Still better then getting up and going to work, so we will make the best of it. Very few trailers are here so others have been scared away by the weather. This is my 20th straight year coming down here, so we have had cold temps before but never snow.

jerryjay11

Being you are from PA the snow don't mean nothing to you. It might put a damper on the ol' campfire, but heh, as I always say, "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work." In your case replace fishing with camping. Less camper also means more elbow room. Enjoy your stay.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We were at about a dozen Martinsville races in the past. Never hit snow while camping at the track. We have hit it coming back up through into PA.

Fun. Stay warm.

As always, we are in Martinsville, VA for the race. Not been a good trip so far. We had an air bag failure within the Trailer Saver BD-3 hitch sometime during our trip. Then we woke up to 2-3 inches of snow with more forecasted along with cold temperatures all week long. Still better then getting up and going to work, so we will make the best of it. Very few trailers are here so others have been scared away by the weather. This is my 20th straight year coming down here, so we have had cold temps before but never snow.

My first outing will be next week at the Moab Easter Jeep Safari. I am hoping we don’t have snow. Will anyone else be there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

If you have a fireplace in the RV, fire it up. As for the S'mores, guess you'll have to nuke 'em. I'd like to hit up the summer race. We went to Bristol for spring race in '08. It was good, but IMO Bristol lost it's beatin'-n-bangin' that it was famous for after they redid track surface. Martinsville now (again IMO) is the beatin'-n-bangin' track and tempers flare.

GETnBYE

Whenever we have travel troubles of any major type, we just begin to call the entire trip, “the adventure”. For future tales of our “adventures” , we only have to add the place or date to the title before we tell “around the campfire preferably,”of the exciting adventure tale.

Heres to hoping your adventure has as many ups as it has downs! Journey on!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Enjoy your trip regardless. We left 1/1 and spent most of the first week traveling south in sub-freezing weather and experienced several cliches but hey you said it...a bad day rving beats any day (fill in the blank)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

szewczyk_john

in the lot that we stay in, it would be half filled up by now normally. As of this morning only 3 units are here. My son called me last night and informed me that we got about a foot of snow back home and that all trailers were denied access to the PA turnpike. I'm guessing that the track will be dry empty over the weekend. We are making the best of this and it is still better then being at work.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
in the lot that we stay in, it would be half filled up by now normally. As of this morning only 3 units are here. My son called me last night and informed me that we got about a foot of snow back home and that all trailers were denied access to the PA turnpike. I'm guessing that the track will be dry empty over the weekend. We are making the best of this and it is still better then being at work.

Where is the lot that you camp in? When we stayed at the track, it was just the emptying rolling fields behind the backstretch and the railroad tracks. But we haven’t been there in 20 years.

szewczyk_john

When we bought our current Road Warrior, the wife made me leave the red clay fields behind. We stay in the old Winn-Dixie parking lot, Now it is a tractor supply store and some medical offices. We got a spot along the outside of the parking lot so that the trailer sits on pavement and the door opens to the grass for the dogs. Since you were here, they moved the railroad line and added VIP RV parking were the old tracks were. I love this old track.