Garage Heat

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
Hey,

Am I missing something here? I understand why there might not be any floor vents in the garage area for heat (flammable vapors and all). However, why are there not at least one heat vent in the rear wall, perhaps just above the hold open for the door, to the right of the rear bathroom door?

The vent could be closed during transport with louvers and opened when needed while camping. We have A/C back there, why not add heat?

I carry a little electric heater that does the whole unit, but am always looking for ways to improve a product.

FJ

bigredtruck

we were out this weekend and the temp hit freezing at night. the garage gets awfully cold. we left the door open to the garage to give our little guy some heat, but finally had to move him to the couch and close the doors so the furnace wouldn't kick in all night. DH climbed underneath this mroning and there is no insulation in the floor of the garage. so it kind of makes sense that there would also be no heat, otherwise it is just wasted. We are going to be looking into insulating the floor since we intend for that to be a den for the kids.

rideblue

On my 3795 the heater is below the fridge, which is mounted to wall separating the living area and the garage(which is where the kids "live"). Very cold in there at night. I removed one of the block plates from the heater, connected a 4" dryer hose and drilled through the wall(4" hole), connected the hose to a louvered vent. Now the kids are all cozy with the warmest room in the rig. I can post pics if you like.

jbeletti

rideblue,

Thanks for sharing your garage heating tip. Looking forward to your mod pics.

For Lori and Brent, here's an image of what the furnace looks like:
furnace.jpg

The round ports are similar to knock-outs.

Jim

rideblue

Heater Mod.

Those plugs on the heating unit actually spin out. I found a male adapter to "spin" in and connect the dryer hose to. Drilled 4inch hole through the wall and found a heating "register" to mount in the hole and connect to the hose. The register has louvers on it to regulate the amount of airflow. Being so close to the heating unit. it puts out a lot of air, and will in fact, take a little air pressure from the rest of the rig. I'm in the process of making sure there is a good seal on the vents for the rest of the rig. As you can see, the heater is below the fridge.

wlallen

I find the garage to be a great walk in refrigerator freezer when I'm camping in Breckenridge for skiing. As long as the outside temp stays below freezing you are pretty much guaranteed to be able to use the garage as a walk in refrigerator and can probably use the area near the back door as a freezer :).