Cheap Heat information

JENDAVE

Looking for information about the cheap Heat dealer near the factory. Contact information, etc.
Thank you in advance
Jen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi JenDave,

[FONT=&quot]Under this new program after the dealer places their order with the RV manufacture, the dealer simply contacts Kim or Jay Douglas at Twin Lakes RV at 260.562.2372 or [/FONT]kim@twinlakesrvrepair.com[FONT=&quot] and Twin Lakes will coordinate the CheapHeat install with the manufacture and the shipper (currently available for select RV manufactures).[/FONT]

Here's a link.

davebennington

The CheapHeat system is a great heating system, we had it installed on our 2015 Landmark by Jay at his shop in La Grange, Indiana 2017 after the North American Rally in Goshen. Jay is very good at installing the system, takes his time to make sure it is working correctly before turning it back over to the owners. This is a 7 hour job, that requires twisting and turning in a tight place in order to get to all of the components securely in place.

dave

Az_Ernie

The CheapHeat system is a great heating system, we had it installed on our 2015 Landmark by Jay at his shop in La Grange, Indiana 2017 after the North American Rally in Goshen. Jay is very good at installing the system, takes his time to make sure it is working correctly before turning it back over to the owners. This is a 7 hour job, that requires twisting and turning in a tight place in order to get to all of the components securely in place.

dave
Dave,

Do you mind sharing with us what your total costs for the unit and the installation were? We're heading to the La Grange area next month.

Ernie

davebennington

Dave,

Do you mind sharing with us what your total costs for the unit and the installation were? We're heading to the La Grange area next month.

Ernie

Ernie,

I believe thet unit is about $600.00 to $900.00, installation is about the same amount depending on the installing shop. I understand there is another option that allows up to use with 30 or 50 amps. If that was available when we had ours installed I would have gotten it installed too.

dave

DebiMac

Ernie, we recently purchased Cheap Heat since we weren't sure we'd be able to get one at the rally. We ordered the 30/50 amp piece. It's about $100. We had our super duper local RV person install it. He charged us 4 hours but said if he did one again he would charge about double that! Guess we got a deal! So we're all ready to brave the cold on our next trip. Funny story...I spoke to the train guy in Durango and asked what the temperature is there in June. He said, "It's really warm at that time." I asked him what that meant...he said, "50-70 degrees." Yikes...to a CA or AZ kid, that's long underwear weather! Glad I've got my Cheap Heat!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have had CheapHeat on our last 2 campers and would do it again on any new camper we get. Our local dealer, RVs For Less LLC (https://rvsforless.net) in Knoxville, TN told us about the product and was the installer. On the current camper, they charged around $1500.00 but that's been 4 years ago. Our unit is for 50 amp only so it will be interesting to see how the new board (30/50 amp) works.

DebiMac

We have had CheapHeat on our last 2 campers and would do it again on any new camper we get. Our local dealer, RVs For Less LLC (https://rvsforless.net) in Knoxville, TN told us about the product and was the installer. On the current camper, they charged around $1500.00 but that's been 4 years ago. Our unit is for 50 amp only so it will be interesting to see how the new board (30/50 amp) works.
Nathan, I just tried to send you a private message (as my questions have to do with TN rather than Heartland). But it said you don't do private messages. How can I reach you to ask some TN questions? Debi

porthole

Retired

Ernie,

I believe thet unit is about $600.00 to $900.00, installation is about the same amount depending on the installing shop. I understand there is another option that allows up to use with 30 or 50 amps. If that was available when we had ours installed I would have gotten it installed too.

Goshen pricing was $500 for the Cheapheat. The 30/50 was not out at the time but is now and is $98. To install a Cheapheat you can figure on anywhere from $50-$200 extra in materials depending on your source and what you have on hand. You'll need wire, a disconnect box and related stuff.

The 30/50 kit is nothing more then a metal electrical box with relays. Appears overpriced at first glance, but you have to tell yourself you are paying for someone's knowledge and design here.

I would consider the 30/50 box a given now. If you are going to do it, add the kit. That way your system will work whether you are on 30 amp at a reduced capacity or 50 amp for full capacity.

The Cheapheat add on has 3 coils in it, how it gets wired is how the 30/50 changes. You can have a 1500 watt output (30 amp in) or 3500 or 5000 watt output (50 amp service).

With the relay box, the controller closes the appropriate relay based on service coming into the box.

The 30/50 can be added to any system. Just have to do some wiring.

30-50_graphic_block.jpg

brianlajoie

We bought the Cheapheat unit at the rally and had installed in Colorado. Wish we had the 30/50 switch as going to Alaska will definitely need 30 amp heat. Love the addition.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We bought the Cheapheat unit at the rally and had installed in Colorado. Wish we had the 30/50 switch as going to Alaska will definitely need 30 amp heat. Love the addition.

Not so much in Alaska. Where we had electric only 1 was 30A as I recall. Now in BC and the Yukon 30A was typical at least where we stopped

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We didn't have any problems with power in Alaska, staying mostly in commercial campgrounds. State parks are where finding electric is iffy. Since our camper is set up with the 50 amp CheapHeat system, we were running about 50/50 getting 50 amp service verses 30 amp. One campground in the Yukon was only 15 amp supplied by an old military generator from the 40's - very interesting.

travelin2

One campground in the Yukon was only 15 amp supplied by an old military generator from the 40's - very interesting.

We stayed at one similar in BC. Genny went dark at 10 pm until the next morning

porthole

Retired
Adding to this thread since it is in the more appropriate section.

Dave Tyler and I installed CheapHeats in two Bighorns and a Landmark. All three had space available in the main breaker panels so that we didn't need an additional box. I checked with Larry and he said if there was space, great. Some panels are probably full, but if you have the space, makes installation a little easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is certainly something to consider.

I spoke to Larry yesterday. He pointed out something not all have to deal with but something to look for before choosing this option.

'If' you have blank spaces you need to check the panel to see which RV panel you have. Some panels have the L1 & L2 legs alternating, every other slot as in a home load center.

A B A B A B A B A B

Some RV panels are arranged where L1 feeds one side and L2 feeds the other side.

A A A A A B B B B B

A B A B is the type that can be wired directly into the panel instead of using a secondary load center. You need to use a double pole breaker (two breakers attached to each other with a connecting pin through the toggles)

You can check this with a multimeter fairly easy.

Last edited:

travelin2

'If' you have blank spaces you need to check the panel to see which RV panel you have. Some panels have the L1 & L2 legs alternating, every other slot as in a home load center.

A B A B A B A B A B

Some RV panels are arranged where L1 feeds on side and L2 feeds the other side.

A A A A A B B B B B

A B A B is the type that can be wired directly into the panel instead of using a secondary load center. You need to use a double pole breaker (two breakers attached to each other with a connecting pin through the handles)

You can check this with a multimeter fairly easy.

Ours is the ABABABAB. Discovered this when one leg of power wasn’t available from the pedestal.
When troubleshooting, I noticed only every other breaker was hot.