Screen Door Mod

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I was asked to post some better pictures of this mod. I haven't seen what is posted in Trailer Life yet so I'll post what I have. The bend in the lower end of the wire is just two 90 degree bends far enough apart to fit through the door latch. Similar to the way a throttle on a carburetor used to be in the 60's.

Attachments

• Outside closed.JPG
    Outside closed.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 449
  • Outside open.JPG
    Outside open.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 420
  • Push to Open.JPG
    Push to Open.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 424

Ray LeTourneau

Ray,

Cool Mod!

Did you use a spoke, as your rod? And what did you use forthe end cap?

RV
I've used wire coat hangers and/or purchased 1/8" steel round stock at a hardware store. A spoke would work well and it's chrome too. I've made a half dozen or so for friends we've met at campgrounds here and there. I used a wire nut for the cap.

Forrest Fetherolf

Ray,
Cool Mod!
Did you use a spoke, as your rod? And what did you use for the end cap?
RV

A twist-on wire nut.............they come in different colors and sizes so you can color-coordinate and size to your own satisfaction.:)

Ray didn't know he would become world famous with this invention.............clever idea.

Forrest

Ray LeTourneau

A twist-on wire nut.............they come in different colors and sizes so you can color-coordinate and size to your own satisfaction.:)

Ray didn't know he would become world famous with this invention.............clever idea.

Forrest
World Famous???? Aw shucksNone I have a few rods all made up and ready to install for the Houston Rally, first come first served:D..

Tom of Ypsi

Thanks for the offer Ray but I got mine at last years Houston Rally from you. Sure have had a lot of comments on your idea but never did see anyone do one. Most everyone wanted me to do it for them and you can guess the outcome of that.

osims

bsims
My screen door opener was manufactored and installed by LeTourneau industries, and we love it.
Bill

Ray LeTourneau

I guess since the rally is just around the corner, if anyone would like a screen door opener, just bring me a hunk of small gage wire or a coat hanger (bout 12") and I'll get ya fixed up. See ya'll in a couple weeks!:D

cgunn

Nice Mod...

Say Ray.....I see by your third picture that the little plastic is door
partially open..
Will it open further in order to reach the handle on the door or do
you unhook it when you use the solid door?

I put one on mine but the little door wouldn't open far enough.
I must have not made the wire long enough.
Whatchathink??

Ray LeTourneau

Say Ray.....I see by your third picture that the little plastic is door
partially open..
Will it open further in order to reach the handle on the door or do
you unhook it when you use the solid door?

I put one on mine but the little door wouldn't open far enough.
I must have not made the wire long enough.
Whatchathink??
cgunn, a loger wire will allow the slider to open far enough to operate the outer door in the normal way. The hole in the top of the slider may need to be a tiny bit bigger to allow for the angle of the wire. It's a trial and error thing.