5ER Newbie question and Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection Gooseneck Mount

atckid

I recently traded my Mallard for an Elkridge and my RAM 1500 for a Chevy Silverado 3500. The Chevy already had a gooseneck ball in the longbed of the truck so I opted for the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel connection.
Here is my problem:
In order to hook up (on level ground) I have to have my landing gear on a 6x6 block to get the kingpin high enough to go over my ball on the Andersen hitch. The truck does not have oversized tires or is raised, other than stock, in any way. Does anyone else have this problem? Is this "normal" for the Andersen gooseneck?
My dealer wasn't very familiar with the hitch could this be part of the problem?
Thanks

Sandy, Barbara and furbaby Ebby (Our 2nd year as campers)

PS I kinda asked this question in an earlier post but didn't explain my situation very well. Too all that responded to that post...thanks! I just didn't explain my situation very well in that post so I'm trying again.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
I recently traded my Mallard for an Elkridge and my RAM 1500 for a Chevy Silverado 3500. The Chevy already had a gooseneck ball in the longbed of the truck so I opted for the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel connection.
Here is my problem:
In order to hook up (on level ground) I have to have my landing gear on a 6x6 block to get the kingpin high enough to go over my ball on the Andersen hitch. The truck does not have oversized tires or is raised, other than stock, in any way. Does anyone else have this problem? Is this "normal" for the Andersen gooseneck?
My dealer wasn't very familiar with the hitch could this be part of the problem?
Thanks

Sandy, Barbara and furbaby Ebby (Our 2nd year as campers)

PS I kinda asked this question in an earlier post but didn't explain my situation very well. Too all that responded to that post...thanks! I just didn't explain my situation very well in that post so I'm trying again.

Maybe posting some pictures would help answer your question.

Tool958

We just went with the Andersen Ultimate on our 2015 Chevrolet 3500HD dually. That is the only way we can get the kingpin high enough to clear the ball on the hitch. We use Camco leveling blocks with the extra flat plate on top, for each side. Usually use three to four on each side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Aandaar

I have been using mine for over 2 years now with a 2014 RAM3500 and 2016 Bighorn 3970.

I have never had to put blocks under my front landing gear to hook up.

The ball on the truck is adjustable. Do you have it all the way up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We also have to put blocks under the front landing gear. You generally need to lift the pin about 4”-5” higher to raise it above the ball on the Anderson.

2 things that make it worse for us..
-We have a FlexAir pin box. So when you take weight off the hitch by raising up the trailer, the airbag in the hitch expands open and adds another 2” of height I need to lift over the ball.
-The ElkRidge has a straight frame, so the landing gear is up 10” or so higher than a trailer with a drop frame (Bighorn, Big Country etc). We end up maxing out the stroke of the landing gear piston before we get enough height. Hence the need for blocks

Hopefully that makes sense. At least it did in my head. Lol

That being sad....the Anderson has been great. Very happy so far.

Tool958

I have been using mine for over 2 years now with a 2014 RAM3500 and 2016 Bighorn 3970.

I have never had to put blocks under my front landing gear to hook up.

The ball on the truck is adjustable. Do you have it all the way up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the ball all of the way up because of side rail clearance. We have a roll up bedcover that sticks up about an inch above the bed rails that ads overall height to the bed rails. We have a 2012 3010 Cyclone toy hauler. Don’t know whether there is a difference in the frames between the different models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro