Electrical Systems User Guide

danemayer

A new user guide on Electrical systems in the RV has been posted. As usual you can get there by clicking on the TOOLS tab at top of page and selecting HUG - Heartland User Guides, or by clicking this link.

This user guide covers 120V AC, 12V DC, and the 12V DC systems powered by the tow vehicle. It includes numerous pictures and wiring diagrams and detailed discussion of how everything goes together.

I'd suggest at least browsing the guide when you have a few minutes. In the future, if you have an electrical problem, you may recall having seen something about the problem and how to deal with it.

wdk450

What a TERRIFIC, COMPREHENSIVE RV electrical guide!!! We will have all of the S.O.B. owners flocking to this website to use it when word gets out!!!

Bob.jr

that guild is priceless. I would have paid to have a copy. thank you Dan and others for this.

carl.swoyer

A new user guide on Electrical systems in the RV has been posted. As usual you can get there by clicking on the TOOLS tab at top of page and selecting HUG - Heartland User Guides, or by clicking this link.

This user guide covers 120V AC, 12V DC, and the 12V DC systems powered by the tow vehicle. It includes numerous pictures and wiring diagrams and detailed discussion of how everything goes together.

I'd suggest at least browsing the guide when you have a few minutes. In the future, if you have an electrical problem, you may recall having seen something about the problem and how to deal with it.
I don't know how you find all these resources, but I know everyone appreciates your efforts.
Thanks Dane!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Version 2 of the Electrical Guide has been posted, here. It's been updated to include the 2020 KIB Multi-Plex changes on the Landmark 365, the Landmark Factory-Installed Solar Option, the Battery Cutoff Relays and Switches, along with a number of other updates and changes.

mlpeloquin

I do not remember or have my fifth wheel anymore, but I was looking at page 45 of the Version two of the electrical guide. Doesn't higher current devices such as water pumps get the power through a relay? Low current through a switch to energize the high current through the relay contcts. The length of wire from the switch to the water pump would drop too much voltage. Contacts in switches are rated for AC high current and low current for DC. Then again, the water pump was behind the UDC which was eight to ten feet from the wall switch. Just thought a double check would be good. I do know in Class C and A's the power to the water pump does go through a relay. I owned a Class C prior to the Big Horn and now have a Class A.

danemayer

I do not remember or have my fifth wheel anymore, but I was looking at page 45 of the Version two of the electrical guide. Doesn't higher current devices such as water pumps get the power through a relay? Low current through a switch to energize the high current through the relay contcts. The length of wire from the switch to the water pump would drop too much voltage. Contacts in switches are rated for AC high current and low current for DC. Then again, the water pump was behind the UDC which was eight to ten feet from the wall switch. Just thought a double check would be good. I do know in Class C and A's the power to the water pump does go through a relay. I owned a Class C prior to the Big Horn and now have a Class A.

I don't know that I would call the water pump a high-current device; at least not in the context of hydraulics or electric landing jacks. The typical Shurflo water pump is spec'd for a 15 amp fuse which means it draws less than 15 amps. I doubt they're controlled by a relay on any Heartland build. On my 2011 LM, power goes from the fuse, through a switch, to the pump. I believe in 2012, 3-way switching was introduced as shown in that diagram. Still operating from a 15 amp fuse.

On 2017 and later Landmark 365s, the water pump is powered from the KIB control boards. KIB uses some electronic circuit breakers, some 15 amp blade fuses. The KIB control function uses solid state switching. But unless you think of the solid state switching as a relay, I'm pretty sure KIB doesn't use a relay for the water pump either.

Heartland typically uses relays where they have a 12V DC switch operating a 120V AC device. The electric side of the water heater for example. They also do that on some YETI tank heating pads.