Cold weather and my Sundance

Good afternoon, I plan to take my 2008 Sundance out early this year. I am going out for 3 days this April. Temps are to be below freezing the whole 3 days. I am going to be in an Iowa State Park so no water connections or sewer connections. I will be working off my fresh water tank and holding gray and black water. If I have my furnace running the whole time will I run into issues of freezing up my freshwater and gray and black water tanks? Or do they stay heated with the furnace on? temps are to be 30 during day and 20s during night.

Regards

James

Dean-Pam

We camped in similar conditions with our 2012 Sundance 2900MK. I did add a drop light behind the basement wall over the water pump. We didn't have any problems.

danemayer

You have a fresh water drain and probably also have low point drains for hot and cold lines. Those drain lines extend through the coroplast and are exposed to outside air. Water between the coroplast and the cutoff valves is also exposed to outside air. If temps get into the low 20s, that water will freeze and the ice can wick up into the tees in the water lines, blocking flow of water between fresh tank and water pump, and also blocking flow of water to the fixtures inside.

You should put insulation or heat tape on those exposed drain lines, or temporarily push them up above the coroplast.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I have managed to camp every spring and fall in cooler Iowa temperatures with lows as low as 15 without issue. I use a combination of heat strip in the rear Air conditioner and the furnace and sometimes an small electric heater to keep my RV warm. No real issues even with strong cold north west winds that frequently occur when we camp in the early spring (March) or late fall (November)

GregnDD

On this same line of thinking - what kind of temperature will each of the tanks be in danger of freeze. The fresh water is pretty straight forward, but I would think the holding tank freeze temperatures will change just by having waste in them. Being just north of Atlanta, we have freezing temperatures every year, but not a lot of experience with tanks freezing. Thanks for any input.

I need some help with winterizing . Does anyone have a 3700 RLB sundance that can guide me on how to winterize, I am a new owner and i have watched vidoes but it when i put the pump tube in the antifreeze nothing is being sucked out?

jimtoo

I need some help with winterizing . Does anyone have a 3700 RLB sundance that can guide me on how to winterize, I am a new owner and i have watched vidoes but it when i put the pump tube in the antifreeze nothing is being sucked out?

Hi Chad,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to thefamily. If you have any questions we have a great bunch of folks herewith lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed. I'm sure you will get some info soon from our other members. Also at the top of the page is a "Tools" tab where you will find lots of good info.

Jim M