New Owner - 2018 Bighorn

GoodToGo

We just purchased a 2018 30ft Big Horn and would welcome any comments or suggestions as new owners. We noticed on the stove grates that there are some pins and rubber washers missing on the bottom. Should there be one on each of the 4 corners of the grates? Some have three and no pin at all? Also the screen door doesn't stay shut any suggestions?

Thank you

jimtoo

Re: New Owner

HI GoodToGo,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

Mark-Roberta 051995

Hi and welcome.

1. Your stove top grates should have small rubber washers on them - all of them.
2. Screen door should have an adjustable striker plate on the door jamb. This allows you to move the plate in or out to ensure that your screen door is securely fastened and tight so no fly's get in. ;)

Hope this helps, if not you will get 30 more answers and am sure everyone will direct you on all your concerns. Either way, welcome and enjoy the ride.

SNOKING

Lift the stove top and you will most likely find the missing rubber pieces. Chris

GoodToGo

Hi and welcome.

1. Your stove top grates should have small rubber washers on them - all of them.
2. Screen door should have an adjustable striker plate on the door jamb. This allows you to move the plate in or out to ensure that your screen door is securely fastened and tight so no fly's get in. ;)

Hope this helps, if not you will get 30 more answers and am sure everyone will direct you on all your concerns. Either way, welcome and enjoy the ride.

Thank you for your reply I will try that!

- - - Updated - - -

HI GoodToGo,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

Thank you! We look forward to meeting up with this group. We used to belong to the King of The Road RV Club and then we purchased a HitchHiker Champagne and now we own the Big Horn. Many found memories and friends were made during those outings.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired

Congratulations GoodToGo on the new Bighorn!! We also thought that the grates should have the rubber grommet under each of the grates to the Furrion Stove Top so we called Furrion to have them send it to us. We were told that they only put the grates in the corner of the grates. We had them send us the extra grommets which they did at our cost, which was not much $$. Surprisingly, when we put them in, the grates became very difficult to remove to clean. In addition with all of the holes having the grommets in them the grates did not sit flat anymore, so we have actually removed the extra grommets and went back to the way that Furrion suggested and sells it.

As far as the screen door goes, can you post pictures showing why it doesn't close? Does the latch not extend into the door latch catch?

Rod

wdk450

If you bought this 2018 Bighorn new, you should have some warranty coverage from Heartland. This is a hidden component of the new purchase price. Call Heartland service with your VIN number and see where you stand on warranty. Just a hint: most all of us have found dealer warranty service to be a poor stepchild of the dealer sales department. Sales department makes money, warranty service costs them money. Better service can be obtained from small businessmen independent (No RV Sales) RV repair shops. These guys depend on word-of-mouth repeat service business, rapid repairs to get them rapid cash flow, and doing a good job. Fortunately, Heartland is one of the FEW RV brands that will pay for your RV repairs wherever YOU decide to have the repairs done (with prior phone authorization from the Service department). Heartland Service even keeps a list of independent RV repairers they have worked successfully with, and can direct you to one of those in your area.

2nd of all, you seem to be paying most of your attention to the needs of your new 5th wheel in what I would call the cosmetic areas. This is a house/vehicle and primary attention should be paid to the house foundation: the tires, wheels, suspension and steel frame. Hopefully Heartland is now installing a better quality of tires. Use the search function at the top right of any forum page to search tire issues and brands. Wheels have generally had few problems with Heartlands. Tredit Tire, the tire and wheel supplier, has a LIFETIME warranty on the wheels it supplies. Springs,shackles, U bolts, and suspension hardware are generally from Lippert. There are premium (thicker) shackle links and greasable wetbolts out there (even some from Lippert) along with never lube special plastic shackle bushings. Heartland has bought equalizers from several RV parts companies, but never the cheapest no shock absorption types. Lots of choices here. I like the Dexter ones, myself. In my opinion the best 5th wheel suspension option is the MorRyde Independent suspension. Besides removing all of the standard suspension parts that can fail and need regular inspections (shackles, bolts, bushings, leaf springs, U bolts, shock absorbers), MorRyde welds in a steel tubing box between the main longitudinal I beams that locks them solid. Flexing I beams at the axle attachments is an all too common problem with big 5th wheels per the trailer welding mechanics I have consulted. Their standard fix is to weld steel tubing between the I beam spring hanger points. MorRyde even has a DIY I beam cross tube device (The X Factor) in recognition of this 5th wheel problem.

Good luck and happy RVing.

jbeletti

On the black rubber grommets for the Furrion stove top, I agree with Rod. What looks like missing is really - per design. Mine fit and sit perfectly with what looks like missing grommets. Really easy to remove these grates to clean the stove top too.

Gary_Fish

We also just purchase a 2018 Bighorn 3575EL and did not get an owners manual for the Jensen sound/DVD system in the rig. Does anyone on this thread know the model number of this system?

Thank You,
Gary Fish

jimtoo

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed. I'm sure some of our members with the same unit will jump in with some info for you soon.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M