Dryer vent-oh-oh?

kevlar119

Hello, I installed a dryer vent in my 2015 4200 exactly where the sticker showed, but found out that a support beam was almost dead center of the hole - pics attached. Is this something to be worried about? Thanks! 20180421_114004.jpg20180421_113621.jpg

RoadJunkie

Looks like the crosshairs were mislabeled. Trust, but verify. However, I may have done the same thing if I were adding a vent. Thanks for sharing this and call Heartland next week to get their response.

danemayer

Too late to help you, but for the next person, it's a good idea to drill tiny test holes around the perimeter.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While not what you want to do (cut through the framing), it probably won't result in imminent wall collapse, either. The styrofoam in the wall should maintain enough rigidity to prevent movement. Since you're basically stuck with that hole where you cut it, it might be possible to attach reinforcement around the hole, connecting the sections of the frame member and still run your dryer vent through it. If possible, tie the cut member (top & bottom) to nearby framing for additional stability.

This would be my guess on what to do. Heartland may have a more professional idea (or not).

Lynn1130

Will be interesting to hear what Heartland CS has to say about this.

My thoughts exactly. Who labeled it that way and where does the liability fall?

Last edited:

rhodies1

Chances are Heartland will wash their hands on this issue, things happen.
I doubt they are going to repair the hole and re- gel gloss the side.

Garypowell

I took out about 1/2 one of these 5 years ago when I trusted the sticker. Figured what was done was done and finished the install.

I called HL on Monday and was told the engineers had done studies with a whole stud missing and it was not a problem.

5 years later....it is not a problem.

kevlar119

Contacted CS and provided pics. Email back shows it shouldn't be an issue due to how the walls are made. At least I have the email in case something ever does. The stickers are put on at the factory. My guess is they did a design change and didn't update the sticker location guide.

olcoon

Just to CYA, I'd keep that piece you cut out, along with the email you got from Heartland for as long as you own your rig. Never know if it'll be needed in the future for a claim, or whatever.

farside291

I was also told by Heartland cutting a hole in the framing stud would have no adverse affects. I did drill test holes before making my hole to verify no studs were in the way.

kevlar119

Latest update - I was contacted by NHTSA asking for the pics and the reply from Heartland. If more info comes avail, I'll post.

porthole

Retired
Latest update - I was contacted by NHTSA asking for the pics and the reply from Heartland. If more info comes avail, I'll post.

The typical response received when someone cuts that stud is “you’ll be ok, it is not really needed”.

so if not needed, why is it there in the first place ?

and it begs the question, how many factory installations have cut through studs ?