Rear bumper strength.

RossRagan

Looking at the bumper attachment to the frame of my M245, it looks like there are two welds each side with each weld about an inch and a half. Will this be sufficient to support a bike rack and two bicycles if I attach the rack to the bumper? Each bike is 25 lbs and the rack another 20 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RossRagan

Here are photos of the two sides of the right frame showing the four total welds to the bumper. These welds are repeated on the left side (drivers side) where the bumper attaches to the frame. It seems that there should be sufficient strength in these welds (8 total) to support a couple of bicycles but I'm not a weld tech/engineer.

If it is not sufficient, how about if I take it to a metal fabricating shop near me and have them drop the gas line and complete the weld along the entire interface of the bumper and the frame on both sides of each frame/bumper rail?

IMG_0431.JPGIMG_0430.JPG

avvidclif

Problem is normally the rear bumper is made of improved tinfoil. Come off the frame with a receiver hitch and maybe. A hitch on the bumper itself I would say no.

Eric1234

Good evening

I do have welding experience and I would not put a bike rack on that bumper. The metal in the bumper does not look substantive enough nor the welds sufficient. A bike rack on the rear will take a lot of abuse going down the road as it cantilevers the weight putting extra stress and strain. To be safe I would have a hitch made that attaches to the frame its self. Lastly correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think any bike rack manufacturer will warenty a bike rack on the rear of a trailer because of the abuse it takes.

just my two cents, have a good night

Eric

RossRagan

Good evening

I do have welding experience and I would not put a bike rack on that bumper. The metal in the bumper does not look substantive enough nor the welds sufficient. A bike rack on the rear will take a lot of abuse going down the road as it cantilevers the weight putting extra stress and strain. To be safe I would have a hitch made that attaches to the frame its self. Lastly correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think any bike rack manufacturer will warenty a bike rack on the rear of a trailer because of the abuse it takes.

just my two cents, have a good night

Eric
Thanks much for the reply. I will heed your advise and not attach a rack to the bumper. Bikes are a bit spendy these days and I would not wish to see either of them in my rearview mirror skidding down the highway behind the trailer.

DaveC6

I have the same bumper on a Wilderness TT. I relocated the spare tire to under the TT and put a bike rack in its place. Only did one trip so far with two bikes but it did fine. I figure the weight of the bikes is close to that of the tire, probably less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brenwol1

I have an M185 and was looking at putting a small metal box on the bumper to hold my washout hoses and misc. sewer items (minus the stinky slinky). The box and all the contents would weigh about 18 or 20 pounds.

Here's the box

I am planning on placing on the right side of the bumper over the "T" where the support comes out from the frame and meets the bumper. Two U-bolts from underneath on the bumper and one U-bolt from underneath the bumper support.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brenwol1

RossRagan

I have an M185 and was looking at putting a small metal box on the bumper to hold my washout hoses and misc. sewer items (minus the stinky slinky). The box and all the contents would weigh about 18 or 20 pounds.

Here's the box

I am planning on placing on the right side of the bumper over the "T" where the support comes out from the frame and meets the bumper. Two U-bolts from underneath on the bumper and one U-bolt from underneath the bumper support.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brenwol1
https://www.mount-n-lock.com/Installation-Guides/SafetyStruts_Selection_Guide.pdf

These reinforcement brackets look like a good idea for anyone planning to mount something on their bumper.

By the way, the box you are using looks like the same one that I converted to a locking battery box for my M245:batterybox.JPG
I like it because it stays pretty cool, reflecting most of the sunlight hitting it. I can touch it when it's sitting in the mid-july sun at 90 degrees and it is comfortable to touch, unlike the diamond rock shield mounted onto the trailer behind the box.