ATF: North Trail - Fresh water fill twist on fitting

I was filling my freGEDC0248.jpgsh water tank today for the first time with a hose and was spilling water everwear as it it filled is there any trick to a fitting to attach a hose or is it normal to fill 52 gallons real slow over a hours.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
No, I'm not the factory, but if you have the open type of gravity fill port with a small screened opening next to it, it's possible that it (the small vent line) is blocked by water. Especially true if you're filling with a hose stuck in the opening and water is pouring back out. The trick is to use a small piece of tubing to cover the vent opening and blow into it until you hear gurgling. Then turn on the hose into the fill port. Many of us have had to do this to use the gravity fill port.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
A lot of the new trailers don't use that screened vent that is part of the fill nozzle anymore...

My 2013 Trail Runner did...my 2015 Prowler does not.

You'll just have to run the water slower until it is full.

Sorry!

By the way...do you have one of these?

https://www.campingworld.com/water-tank-filler-with-shut-off-valve

You can also get them at Walmart in the RV section.

This will help immensely and should only take about 15 minutes to fill!

A lot of the new trailers don't use that screened vent that is part of the fill nozzle anymore...

Sorry!

Thank you
Mine does have the smaller port and i am thinking its more of a issue like a pinched hose , i forced in 52 gallons as we are going on a trip and its going back to the dealer for warranty work,, its a 2018 made on a friday after a xmas party .....so many problems it's sad it made it out the factory..... anyway Hartland products wont be in my future after this one than you again for the link , I didn't know that was available .

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thank you
Mine does have the smaller port and i am thinking its more of a issue like a pinched hose , i forced in 52 gallons as we are going on a trip and its going back to the dealer for warranty work,, its a 2018 made on a friday after a xmas party .....so many problems it's sad it made it out the factory..... anyway Hartland products wont be in my future after this one than you again for the link , I didn't know that was available .

Two things...

First, if you can...look at the back of the water inlet to see if there is in fact a vent hose hooked up to the little screened vent.

Not just Heartland, but most other makes as well are not using that little vent anymore.

Secondly...as for not having another Heartland in the future...

If you go around and read other RV brands forums, this is not just a Heartland issue, but an industry wide issue (I'm not trying to make excuses here)!

And when you take your RV to the dealer for warranty repairs...

You'll most likely find that dealing with the dealership is not as fun as it was back when you were shopping for your RV.

The whole key is to try and spot most of these issues before you take the RV off of the dealer's lot during the PDI.

Most dealerships will rush through the PDI to get you off the lot so you can discover the problems while you are out camping instead of right there before you take possession.

I have several dealership horror stories...but not enough time to share them here! :angel:

Plus...I need to keep my blood pressure down... :eek:

Once you get the kinks worked out and you get more familiar with your new NT I think you will love it!

jwilson66

Sorry!

I simply cut off the end of an older water hose that I wasn't using anymore - about 12"- and I insert that into the filler tube. I hook the filler hose to that, turn on the water, and relax until the tank is full.