Need help leveling 5th Wheel

Helloeveryone. I'm hoping some of the seasoned 5'res can give me a littleassistance. We bought a 2017 Torque 325 5th wheel last year and have beenhaving a little trouble getting it level. I'll add that this is my first5th wheel so I am assuming this is a user error type of problem. My sonsand I race motocross so we typically are camping at the race track and theparking areas are rarely level. I try to find the most level spot I can,but that doesn't mean the spot is very level. I do not have an autoleveling system. I use two bubble levels (one for side to side and onefor front to back) that are mounted on the front. I also bought theLevelMatePro Bluetooth level. I have spent countless hours in my drivewayensuring the LevelMatePro is setup correctly and level. So we get totrack, find our spot, check the level, make side to side adjustments using the Anderson Hitches leveling blocks. Everything will show level, I send my wife into the cabin to get her seal of approval. Once she signs off, I start the unhooking process. Once disconnected from the truck, I level the front to back using the landing gear. Then I head to the back to put the stabilizer jacks down. Then head inside and start putting the slide-outs out. Once everything is all setup, the wife will notice the camper is leaning towards the driver's side. I'll check the levels and sure enough, she's leaning. This happens every time! I must be doing something wrong. I can get it perfect in my driveway on pavement, but as soon as we hit dirt I cannot get it too level. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

avvidclif

Dirt gives and you are adding a lever to the drivers side with slides. Use pads under the jacks or pieces of 2x12 12" long to keep it from sinking.

Garypowell

Your slide outs are the problem. You just have to bias the initial side to side. Takes a while...but you’ll get the hang of it.

farside291

I'm thinking that since you don't have jacks in the middle the suspension is giving when the slides go out causes the un-level condition. You could get some screw type jacks to go in the middle to add support. The only way I know to level from side to side is with blocks under the tires.

danemayer

If what you're doing works on concrete, but not on dirt, that sounds like the dirt is compressing under the weight, leaving you off-level. Trailer weight is often not distributed equally side-to-side.

So as suggested earlier, when leveling, leave that side a bit high, anticipating that it will settle a little.

hoefler

Like said above, it is the dirt giving and compressing. Since the bottom of the blocks are a honey comb construction, they will sink into soft surfaves. I use the Lynz leveling blocks, I have a plank that is 12" wide and 8' long I put down first when I am on dirt or gravel, giving a broader footprint for the leveling blocks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Putting your slides out after you’ve leveled will throw it off. Without LevelUp or the Ground Control system, there is little you can do other than jockeying the trailer onto boards. Not recommended with the slides extended. With a leveling system, you can tweak the rig level without moving it.

Our site is sandy and also not level. I have 12”x12”x6” wood pads I made to put under my jacks and tweak the level once the slides are out (old Ground Control 4-jack set).

Last edited: