Spare tire mount for a Landmark 365

HOOKERUP

Has anyone had to use the BAL spare carrier.Mine would not slide to lower tire.I do believe there is too much weight for a 17.5 tire and wheel for that type of system.It's been soaking in WD-40 for 3 days and still will not slide.More than likely bracket has enough bend to stop it.Will see if Heartland will cover this under warranty to replace.

rdufek

Unfortunately the entire design is horrible. If you are able to get the nut off to drop down the rack to begin with you are lucky. Of course I learned after it froze up and had to drill the nut out that you need to work it all the time and keep it lubricated so that doesn't happen. So without going into more of a story, trying to get the rack pushed in and up without getting underneath to lift up to take the pressure off is next to impossible and is extremely frustrating also.

Gary521

I agree that the design leaves a lot to be desired. I am going to try to design something myself with a crank-up system.

richheck

Seasoned Member
Shortly after my LM 365 was delivered!i lowered the spare and dismantled the carrier to apply white lithium grease to the slides and lock bolt hoping to eliminate any future issues down the road. One year later I lowered the spare again to move the carrier forward allowing room to mount an additional carrier to carry my 32 gal blue tank and all was well.

cap10moe

I have to agree with comments made by
rdufek. I had the unfortunate pleasure to have to replace a tire a couple of days ago. Of course, the locking bolt was rusted tightly in place. The plastic knob basically disintegrated in my hand. Fortunately I had a pair of pliers that I managed to get the bolt out with. Then the extension rods would not extend (rusted). Finally trying to replace the spare today after freeing up the extension tubes, and I could not get the tubes to slide back into position. There was too much flex in the tubes due to the weight of the spare. A very poor design. Surely there must be a better solution.

HOOKERUP

It may look good hanging under,but thats about it.Better off using rack for something else and putting tire in bed of truck by tailgate.

danemayer

Until a few years ago, Heartland used a winch style carrier for the spare. That's what I have. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still available.

I have to agree with comments made by
rdufek. I had the unfortunate pleasure to have to replace a tire a couple of days ago. Of course, the locking bolt was rusted tightly in place. The plastic knob basically disintegrated in my hand. Fortunately I had a pair of pliers that I managed to get the bolt out with. Then the extension rods would not extend (rusted). Finally trying to replace the spare today after freeing up the extension tubes, and I could not get the tubes to slide back into position. There was too much flex in the tubes due to the weight of the spare. A very poor design. Surely there must be a better solution.

Unfortuately I had the same issue with my 2015 Ashland model today. With multiple attempts and days with penetrating oil, heating the bolt, all I could do was break up the plastic top of the bolt use a wrench on the bolt then the welded bolt to the base decided to break off. Just had to hacksaw it off as it was completely frozen.

I should have done a complete dismantle of this on delivery of the 5th myself.

Now I will have to try and replace the plastic bolt with a hole at the bottom and nut from either Norco Industries BAL RV Group or go thru Heartland. Then tack on the nut to the frame.

pegmikef

You are beating a dead horse on this deal. I have complained about how worthless it is since the first year they started using them on my old big horn. They might work ok for those cheapie light weight blow max tires they used to use, but for those higher quality tires like g614s, H114s, the new Sailun conterparts, the thing is worthless (even if one happens to be strong enough to operate it. I never have had a problem with the cable winches that they used to use and that are in use in most pickups.

CDN

B and B
I am a younger guy than some of our club friends. It took all I had to push the carrier back up in place laying on my back under the carrier. I would agree a crank up design might be a better option. I know some have used a unit from a truck to crank the tire up on SOB fifth wheels.

Oldelevatorman

I agree, that thing is horrible. I sprayed mine with WD, let it sit for awhile and could barely get it off the end. Rack wouldn't extend, except just enough to let it hang down a touch! Like was said, need to remove tire and work on extending it freely and then re-install tire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kathi-27

I lubed ours up real good when first got it and do it first of year been working fine. its is alittle heavy like you all said. I welded 2 small caster wheels on the drop down end so when you drop it down to the ground it will roll when pulling out. don't have to hold it up

Oldelevatorman

I agree, that thing is horrible. I sprayed mine with WD, let it sit for awhile and could barely get it off the end. Rack wouldn't extend, except just enough to let it hang down a touch! Like was said, need to remove tire and work on extending it freely and then re-install tire!

Got it working good with lots of grease on it. Put tire back on with new bolts. Tried to hook end back up and it just sways back and forth as it moves the driver side bracket in and out. Will add a stiffener on either side of that bracket so you can pull against it.

Oldelevatorman

After removing the tire and hammering on it I was able to get it to move and I added grease so it moves freely back & forth. Once I put the tire back on I couldn't move it cause it would just bend the end bracket like I'd said until I added some stiffeners my son in law made for me. Works great now but imo just a bad design. Of course all this was done sitting on my rear end with the slides out. It's heavy no matter what position you're in anyway. Here are pics of brackets I installed.
e21397383b93ad8e68fe4e07718d62c6.jpg
98f6c268314016a2b52a18b229374d66.jpg

pegmikef

IMHO Heartland should recall all these things that don't work out of the box without modifications, and then still don't work for the size and weight of the tires required for rigs as heavy as Landmarks. They were marginal for G614 and are worthless for the sailun and goodyear H rated tires. We pay a lot of money for these rigs and it is stupid to cheapen it (and their reputation) with this junk spare tire holder. I have been complaining about this since they put one on my 2014 RE3010, but nobody listens. The designers and managers should be taken to the field and forced to use them, then you would get a good product. I continue to be very disappointed in this junk thing and Heartlands support of it!