Newbie here, 2017 heartland Sundance delamination

EricV

Hi guys I'm new here and new to the rv scene as well, sorry for having my first post be a problem but I don't know where to turn anymore. I bought a 2017 heartland Sundance on May 3 2017 still had only 1 year manufacture warranty. About a week ago I noticed some delamination under the rear slide window and under the bedroom window. I called heartland and they told me to take it to a authorised HL dealer which I did but they said it can't fixit, it has to be a Sundance dealer. I'm worried my 1 year warranty is about to expire and heartland said since I called before it will be covered, but didn't give me no reference number or anything. I proceed to call my Dealer to set up an appointment and the lady in the service department was very rude and already giving me the run around without even seeing my TT. She said she had no available appointments within a month and by that time my warranty would expire so I would be on my own. I told her I had spoken to heartland and told her what they said about having called before my warranty was over. Then she started saying that delamination in a year old rv is normal and assumed I hadn't checked the seals. The window doesn't come with an outer sealer. She also assumed I lived in it. I understand we have to check the seals, but take out the windows on a year old rv and adding butyl tape is ridiculous. Has anyone had problems with that or can someone point me in the right direction so I don't get stuck with the damage costs. Any help is appreciated thank you.

rhodies1

Hi guys I'm new here and new to the rv scene as well, sorry for having my first post be a problem but I don't know where to turn anymore. I bought a 2017 heartland Sundance on May 3 2017 still had only 1 year manufacture warranty. About a week ago I noticed some delamination under the rear slide window and under the bedroom window. I called heartland and they told me to take it to a authorised HL dealer which I did but they said it can't fixit, it has to be a Sundance dealer. I'm worried my 1 year warranty is about to expire and heartland said since I called before it will be covered, but didn't give me no reference number or anything. I proceed to call my Dealer to set up an appointment and the lady in the service department was very rude and already giving me the run around without even seeing my TT. She said she had no available appointments within a month and by that time my warranty would expire so I would be on my own. I told her I had spoken to heartland and told her what they said about having called before my warranty was over. Then she started saying that delamination in a year old rv is normal and assumed I hadn't checked the seals. The window doesn't come with an outer sealer. She also assumed I lived in it. I understand we have to check the seals, but take out the windows on a year old rv and adding butyl tape is ridiculous. Has anyone had problems with that or can someone point me in the right direction so I don't get stuck with the damage costs. Any help is appreciated thank you.

Contact Heartland again and advise them of the issues you are having with dealers and not being able to have the issue addressed.Get some type of confirmation number and the name of the individual you are speaking to at Heartland.
Ask them what you should do as the next step to have this problem fixed,take pictures as well and forward to the person you are speaking to at Heartland.
I will tell you that there is NO fix to repair delamination by any dealer,only way to get this fixed properly is to take it direct to Heartland repair facility in Indianna,
Dont let any dealer start drilling holes and injecting epoxy into the areas of delamination,this will not help.
Be polite with Heartland CS, Remember...you can get more with sugar than salt.
Good luck

Go-Fly

Contact Heartland again and advise them of the issues you are having with dealers and not being able to have the issue addressed.Get some type of confirmation number and the name of the individual you are speaking to at Heartland.
Ask them what you should do as the next step to have this problem fixed,take pictures as well and forward to the person you are speaking to at Heartland.
I will tell you that there is NO fix to repair delamination by any dealer,only way to get this fixed properly is to take it direct to Heartland repair facility in Indianna,
Dont let any dealer start drilling holes and injecting epoxy into the areas of delamination,this will not help.
Be polite with Heartland CS, Remember...you can get more with sugar than salt.
Good luck

This^^^^^^^.

Paper trail is your best friend. Send an e-mail to Heartland Customer Service. Take pictures and let them know about your concerns of not being able to have this repaired under warranty. Might as well get everything on the table up front. I had a problem with a jack under warranty and it took 7 months before they could get the parts to repair it. When the roof leaked, it took like 5 months before they could get me in. Sorry but true, they don't do anything in a hurry.

danemayer

EricV,

You should call Heartland back and get some direction on where you can take the trailer for repair. When the first dealer told you it has to go to a Sundance dealer, that's not exactly true. He was really saying that because he doesn't sell Sundance, and didn't sell to you, he chooses to not provide warranty service to you - which he can do. It's unfortunate that your selling dealer isn't being very helpful either - and delamination at 1 year is not the norm. They probably failed to mention that your Sundance could have been on their lot for up to a year without ever having any maintenance done on the sealants and caulking.

Heartland should be able to point you to a service location that can help.

Expiration date of the warranty shouldn't be a problem. You just need to make sure that Heartland has logged the original call and helps you get it in for service. The actual date of repair shouldn't be a problem as long as Heartland is in the loop all the way through.

However, you should be aware that while delamination can be due to a manufacturing defect, it's most commonly caused by water intrusion. If you check your trailer manual warranty statement, you'll find there are some limitations related to water damage.
When the servicer opens things up, it'll likely be apparent whether the cause is from water intrusion. And that will probably determine whether the repair is covered by warranty.

EricV

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll call Monday and also email pictures to heartland also try to get a reference or case number, once again thanks for the info

danemayer

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll call Monday and also email pictures to heartland also try to get a reference or case number, once again thanks for the info

They might have a reference or case #, but I've never heard of that. Everything is tracked by VIN #. When you call, ask them to tell you what was put in their system from your last call.

EricV

They might have a reference or case #, but I've never heard of that. Everything is tracked by VIN #. When you call, ask them to tell you what was put in their system from your last call.

Ok will do, I'm thinking it might be water intrusion because theirs no type of caulk or anything around the windows. I don't know if that's the way it should be or they forgot to put it on. I had a used TT but sold it in order to not have problems in the future. I was wrong thinking that in buying a new one i would have peace of mind. Thanks for the replies.

csmithtrw

Not sure if this makes me feel better or worse. We also bought a new Sundance in Mar 2017 and also have delamination. It started in the front corner and now I have found 6 different areas around the camper where there are bubbles.

I did take it to the dealer a month ago and have not heard back from them. Will call next week and will let you know what find out. Would like to hear if you ever got any resolution on yours.

Sincerely
Chris S

EricV

Not sure if this makes me feel better or worse. We also bought a new Sundance in Mar 2017 and also have delamination. It started in the front corner and now I have found 6 different areas around the camper where there are bubbles.

I did take it to the dealer a month ago and have not heard back from them. Will call next week and will let you know what find out. Would like to hear if you ever got any resolution on yours.

Sincerely
Chris S

I decided to take it to an rv repair shop instead of the dealer cause I know the dealer cares more about selling than fixing what they already sold. The repair shop sent heartland pictures and a quote but heartland said it was from water damage and didn't help. I told them I had water damage due to the fact that they didn't put any sealant on any of the windows and they said there was no way of them knowing that since I had to reseal everything every six months. I'm new to the rv scene, how am I supposed to know I had to reseal places that never had a seal? Lesson learned don't buy from heartland again..

Last edited:

rhodies1

This appears to be Heartlands automatic response,it’s your fault that the trailer has delamination, yes we are responsible to check for caulking but if they did not caulk windows from the factory then they bear some of the responsibility.I know SOB manufacturer known as GD have had some issues but ... they have stepped up to the plate,I have a friend who owns a 2015 model which delamed at various points due to NO caulking from the factory and was taken to the factory in 2017 : caulking was missed,around marker lights and windows BUT GD took the unit from Nova Scotia Canada to Indianna and replaced side and rear of unit at NO charge to customer and returned back to Nova Scotia ,,,ALL costs paid by GD. Now that customer service..Time Heartland starts treating their customers a little better.

Last edited:

schwieb

I am in the exact same position. My Mallard is at its 1 year anniversary and has a minor delamination issue. We contacted Heartland and were told this is our fault and that it isn't covered by any warranty. They don't seem to care about their customers judging by the way we were treated. This is my first camper, and I can promise it wont be another Heartland in the future due to how dismissive and unhelpful they were. They didnt even want to discuss where we could take it to fix it, just that we are supposed to know what to do.

Anyway, I would welcome any advice on how to properly reseal a Mallard camper and possibly information on repairing the delamination site.
qxotAkrYoCV5ibex9

qxotAkrYoCV5ibex9

danemayer

I am in the exact same position. My Mallard is at its 1 year anniversary and has a minor delamination issue. We contacted Heartland and were told this is our fault and that it isn't covered by any warranty. They don't seem to care about their customers judging by the way we were treated. This is my first camper, and I can promise it wont be another Heartland in the future due to how dismissive and unhelpful they were. They didnt even want to discuss where we could take it to fix it, just that we are supposed to know what to do.

Anyway, I would welcome any advice on how to properly reseal a Mallard camper and possibly information on repairing the delamination site.
qxotAkrYoCV5ibex9

qxotAkrYoCV5ibex9

Hi schwieb,

Most delamination is from water intrusion, so maintaining caulking and sealants is key to preventing delamination. Given that, customer support is basically restating what it says in the warranty statement in your trailer manual, that it's up to you to maintain the caulking and sealants.

Complicating things, if a trailer sits on the dealer lot for a year or more without any maintenance, as some do, deterioration of caulking and sealants, and resultant water intrusion, could start even before you take delivery. If you check the date of manufacture and compare to the date of purchase, and it's an extended period, you probably should have a discussion with your selling dealership about what maintenance they routinely perform and what records they keep of that maintenance.

Occasionally a manufacturing defect is the root cause. If you think that's the case, it would be Heartland's responsibility. But to make progress, you'll need to return to an authorized dealer for examination under warranty. They may be able to render an opinion as to the cause. If the dealer tech thinks it's a manufacturing defect, they will discuss with Heartland and it'll probably get fixed under warranty.

schwieb

Lets just assume that this issue is not going to be covered by the warranty, even though it should.

What should I do to stop the water incursion and repair the delamination?

Re: Newbie here, 2017 heartland Marllad delamination

I'm looking for help or suggestions on delamination on 2017 Mallard. Manufactures warranty expired end of June 2018 and I have an extended warranty thru Good Sams but it does not cover walls. The delamination is happening 2 places one of each slide. What is the best way to repair and any ideas on cost? Also is there anybody that has been successful in getting the manufacturer to cover the repair after warranty has expired?

danemayer

I'm looking for help or suggestions on delamination on 2017 Mallard. Manufactures warranty expired end of June 2018 and I have an extended warranty thru Good Sams but it does not cover walls. The delamination is happening 2 places one of each slide. What is the best way to repair and any ideas on cost? Also is there anybody that has been successful in getting the manufacturer to cover the repair after warranty has expired?

When warranty has expired, the only avenue left is a goodwill accommodation by the manufacturer. Heartland sometimes does that, but in the case of delamination, there would have to be some reason for Heartland to believe it was from a manufacturing defect, not from water intrusion. Perhaps a dealer inspection of the problem would be helpful.

When warranty has expired, the only avenue left is a goodwill accommodation by the manufacturer. Heartland sometimes does that, but in the case of delamination, there would have to be some reason for Heartland to believe it was from a manufacturing defect, not from water intrusion. Perhaps a dealer inspection of the problem would be helpful.

Dealer has had trailer for 3 months now and still trying to get Heartland to agree to fix unit. Heartland keeps dragging their feet and asking for pictures of damage. Dealer sends pictures and Heartland asks for more. I have called customer service, left messages and emailed but no help!

danemayer

Dealer has had trailer for 3 months now and still trying to get Heartland to agree to fix unit. Heartland keeps dragging their feet and asking for pictures of damage. Dealer sends pictures and Heartland asks for more. I have called customer service, left messages and emailed but no help!
I'd suggest you stop emailing and stop leaving messages. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Stay on the line until a human being picks up.

Keep in mind that most delamination is caused by water intrusion. So it has to be pretty clear that your problem is not due to water intrusion. If they tell you it's a water problem, you might ask how to tell the difference.

I'd suggest you stop emailing and stop leaving messages. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Stay on the line until a human being picks up.

Keep in mind that most delamination is caused by water intrusion. So it has to be pretty clear that your problem is not due to water intrusion. If they tell you it's a water problem, you might ask how to tell the difference.

I did call them and talked to Jake. He was no help really. Said he would talk to someone else and call me back. Still haven't got a response. Dealer can't see any water damage. They are just passing the 'buck' and no avoiding the situation.

danemayer

I did call them and talked to Jake. He was no help really. Said he would talk to someone else and call me back. Still haven't got a response. Dealer can't see any water damage. They are just passing the 'buck' and no avoiding the situation.

So call Heartland back and get a response.